[NEohioPAL] Free webinars "Contracts for Creative Employees" Nov. 5 and "IP Basics" Dec. 3

Jessica Paine jpaine at clemetrobar.org
Mon Nov 2 06:05:37 PST 2020

"Contracts for Creative Employees" (VLA Bootcamp 2020: Part I) - THIS THURSDAY

FREE live webinar by the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts<http://www.clemetrobar.org/VLA> (VLA) of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association<http://www.clemetrobar.org/> (CMBA)
Nov. 5, 1:00-2:00 p.m.

As part of their mission to promote a vibrant local arts community, the CMBA's Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts periodically presents "VLA Bootcamp" where members of the public can learn more about important, basic issues for artists. Part I of the 2020 VLA Bootcamp features "Contracts for Creative Employees." Although the image of the solo artist coated in paint in their studio may come to mind most readily, many artists work for companies or corporations (e.g., a graphic designer working for an ad agency, a musician working for an orchestra, a designer working for a fashion house). What do artistic employees (and the attorneys who advise them) need to know to protect their work and further their careers? Discussion by our panel of experts, including immediate past VLA Chair Anna Kelberg-Kim and current Vice Chair Tom Horwitz, will include copyrights (e.g., the employee's output belongs to the company, not the employee), employment discrimination, and collective bargaining for artists.

Registration required

Members of the public click here<https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_2qOkymTfSuGZpBjw_90xMA> - attendance is FREE

"Intellectual Property: Basics & Real Life Application" (VLA Bootcamp 2020: Part II)

FREE live webinar by the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts<http://www.clemetrobar.org/VLA> of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association<http://www.clemetrobar.org/>
Dec. 3, 4:00-5:00 p.m.

In VLA Bootcamp Part II on Dec. 3, our panel of VLA attorneys will lay down the foundation of IP basics: copyrights, patents, trademarks, and trade secrets. Which form of IP is intended to protect creative works and where to start to identify what you need? What are some of the pitfalls to avoid in using copyrighted artwork and music from the internet? After covering the basics of protection (both for your own work and to avoid violating others' rights), our panel will discuss common IP issues and fact patterns that have arisen in real-life VLA applications over the years, and how they have handled them as volunteer attorneys.

Registration required

Members of the public click here<https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_bZAVwG4rQdiG73ypJzenLQ> - attendance is FREE

About the VLA
The Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts (VLA)<http://www.clemetrobar.org/VLA> is a program of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association<http://www.clemetrobar.org> that provides public education and pro bono legal help to eligible artists and arts organizations free of charge. Learn more at www.CleMetroBar.org/VLA<http://www.CleMetroBar.org/VLA>, where you can also find a list of resources for the arts community in the times of COVID-19.

Questions? Email jpaine at clemetrobar.org<mailto:jpaine at clemetrobar.org>.