[NEohioPAL] UA Presents Virtual Fall Dance Concert “We Dance On: A Movement Collaboration”

UAkron Arts Administration administration.arts at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 09:29:06 PST 2020

The University of Akron (UA) School of Dance, Theatre, and Arts
Administration presents “We Dance On: A Movement Collaboration.” The
fully-virtual concert will include pre-recorded works and behind-the-scenes
footage and will be available to stream via YouTube on Saturday, November
21 at 2:00 P.M. and 7:00 P.M. Reservations can be made at
wedanceonUA.eventbrite.com.

“We Dance On” will feature works by Dance Program faculty member and UADC
Director Rachael K. Palermo, as well as Choreographers’ Workshop student
choreographers Lauren Ferster, Lexi Hartung, Hailey Lewis, Lydia Marshall
and Chloe Redman. Work by guest choreographer Tyler Ring, from UA’s Dance
Institute, will also be presented.

Student choreographer Lexi Hartung’s piece “Who am I(dentity)?” explores
themes of self-discovery, identity and values. She reflects that “we as
human beings have been able to take a moment to look into our own
uniqueness during this pandemic.”

Some of the other student choreographers, including Hailey Lewis and Lydia
Marshall, look to the people around them for inspiration and offer their
works as dedications to others. Marshall, in her dance film “No Favors,”
celebrates empowered women and says that the work is “a dedication to all
of the women who have empowered me.” Lewis dedicates her dance “For Devon”
to her aunt, who passed away earlier this year. She hopes to illuminate the
effects of alcoholism and remind those struggling that “addiction is a hard
battle to fight, but you are not fighting it alone.”

The University of Akron Dance Program offers both a Bachelor of Fine Arts
(B.F.A.) in Dance and a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Dance. Students receive
extensive training in technique, performance and choreography, which is
supported by academic coursework in dance history, pedagogy and physical
analysis.

Reservations to stream “We Dance On” are free and can be made at
wedanceonUA.eventbrite.com <https://wedanceonua.eventbrite.com/> or by
contacting the ticket office at administration.arts at gmail.com or
330-972-7895. For additional information visit uakron.edu/dtaa
<https://www.uakron.edu/dtaa> or facebook.com/UADanceTheatre
<https://www.facebook.com/UADanceTheatre>.