[NEohioPAL] AUDITIONS – HONK! JR. – Beck Center Youth Theater THIS WEEKEND

Sarah Clare sclare at beckcenter.org
Tue Feb 16 08:50:39 PST 2021

Beck Center for the Arts Youth Theater, will be holding auditions this weekend for

Honk! Jr.
Music by George Stiles Book and Lyrics by Anthony Drewe
Directed and Music Directed by Jordan Cooper
Choreographed by Sarah Clare

In this witty and hilarious, but also deeply moving show, Ugly looks quite a bit different from his siblings. The other animals on the farm are quick to notice and point this out, despite his mother's protective flapping. Feeling rather foul about himself, the little fowl finds himself on an adventure of self-discovery, while unknowingly outwitting a very hungry Cat. Along the way, Ugly meets a whole flock of unique characters, and finds out that being different is not a bad thing to be. This heartwarming show is perfect for all ages young, old, and everything between!

Audition/Callback dates: (open to Beck Center students ages 6 to 18*)

·         Saturday, February 20: 3:30 to 5:00pm

& Sunday, February 21: 12:00 to 1:30pm

·         Callbacks: Monday, February 22: between 5:30 and 9:00pm

You may sign up for a half-hour audition slot via Sign up genius https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0E4DACA823A4FC1-honk

Or by calling Beck Center Customer Service at 216-521-2540 x10.

*Please note: Youth Theater roles are only eligible to students who will be enrolled in our Winter/Spring 2021 semester. Actors do not need to be enrolled at the time of the auditions, however, participation in the actual production does require Beck Center enrollment in our Winter/Spring 2021 semester. Students do not need to be specifically enrolled in a Theater class to qualify. Students enrolled in a Winter/Spring 2021 semester online or in person class in Beck Center’s Dance, Music, Visual Arts, and Creative Arts Therapies Departments are equally eligible.

Bottom line:  if you are accepting a role in the show, you will need to enroll prior to the start of rehearsals. Any questions, please feel free to contact Sarah Clare, Associate Director of Theater Education, at sclare at beckcenter.org.

Our Winter/Spring 2021 catalog is available online at https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5c9ae157ca525b79e8f35998/t/5fd9328b8770e974909661bc/1608069774560/Beck+Full+Catalog+Winter+Spring+2021_Update11-24.pdf

Unlike some other youth theaters, there is NO additional participation fee required beyond enrollment.

What to Prepare:

·         Students are asked to prepare a musical theater song that features their vocal range- up to one minute long. *Students should have a karaoke track with their song on a separate device to sing along to.

·         Students are asked to prepare a short monologue- up to one minute long to present as their audition piece.  Memorization is strongly encouraged.

·         Prepare a headshot or picture of your student, and resume for online submission

·         Please prepare a list of all potential rehearsal, recording, and performance conflicts for online submission

Potential Rehearsals: March 21 – May 18, 2021

·         Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri: between 4:30 – 9:00pm
·         Saturdays: between 3:00 – 8:00pm
·         Sundays: between 1:00-4:00pm
The show will NOT be rehearsing every day or the full time range listed. The director will pick the days that best accommodate everyone’s schedules – once conflicts and availability are known for the above dates.

Filming

We will work with families to give advanced notice of filming. We will try to work with conflicts, but please be flexible when it comes to filming the show. As this is our first musical in this new media, our plans for filming are still in process.

All cast members are expected to attend all filming dates for their roles, and submit all recording requests by their due dates.

Online On Demand Streaming Performance dates: May 20-23, 2021

We are hoping to have a cast viewing party via Zoom on “Opening Night” May 21st.

Sarah Clare
Pronouns: she/her
Associate Director of Theater Education
sclare at beckcenter.org