[NEohioPAL] Documentary Playwriting Workshop with Christopher Johnston

Playwrights Local playwrightslocal at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 15:34:53 PDT 2021

Playwrights Local <http://www.playwrightslocal.org/> & Literary Cleveland
<https://www.litcleveland.org/> Present

Just the Facts, Man:

Documentary Playwriting Workshop

With Christopher Johnston

Info/Registration
<https://www.litcleveland.org/classes-workshops/just-the-facts-man-documentary-playwriting-workshop>

November 1, 8, 15, & 29 | December 6 & 13

Mondays 6:30 – 8:30 pm

Presented remotely/online via Zoom

$180 ($120 for Literary Cleveland members)

As playwrights, we usually draw from real-life stories to create a
narrative play. However, we can also do extensive research and interviews
with people on which to build a documentary theater piece about a dynamic
individual or a particular group or people, say veterans or victims of
domestic violence. We have the option to create characters based on those
interviewees or by using the subject’s exact words from an interview
transcript in a verbatim piece. In this workshop, we’ll discuss the
techniques necessary to research a topic and get comprehensive interviews
from which to draw material or language for the docudrama. Each student
will develop a shorter piece that can stand on its own or be developed into
a one-act or full-length play.

Registration at Literary Cleveland

https://www.litcleveland.org/classes-workshops/just-the-facts-man-
documentary-playwriting-workshop

About the Instructor

Christopher Johnston has written several docudramas based on extensive,
in-depth interviewing, including Sexually Explicit Material about people's
sexual experiences and beliefs at Cleveland Public Theatre, Ghosts of War
about Vietnam veterans at Dobama Theatre, My Body is Blue about a victim of
domestic violence at Dobama and convergence-continuum, and Live Bodies for
Sale about human trafficking in Northeast Ohio at Playwrights Local.

# # #