[NEohioPAL] More information about The Sparks Fly Upward

Cathy Lesser Mansfield clessermansfield at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 11:24:29 PST 2021

I understand there have been some questions about the title of and artwork
for my opera, The Sparks Fly Upward. Here is some information about the
opera.

The title comes from the Book of Job, from which the families in the opera
read while they are in hiding. The artwork combines photos from the Neue
Synagogue in Berlin, and Auschwitz, where scenes in the opera take place

Here is more information about the piece:

*The Sparks Fly Upward Story*

The Sparks Fly Upward begins on October 28, 1938 with the deportation of
Polish Jews residing in Germany to Poland, and concludes with the
liberation of Berlin in May 1945 and the

re-dedication of the Neue Synagogue in Berlin in 1995. At times the
families turn to the Book of Job for diversion, reassurance and
enlightenment. Job’s suffering, and the contest between good and evil
represented in his story, are reflected in the lives of the characters, who
boldly face the question of man’s obligation

to man in times of moral and political crisis. The Sparks Fly Upward is
told completely through music and lyrics.

Sparks is a story of courage, friendship, love, faith, hope and the power
of one person to alter the course of another’s life.

*The Sparks Music and Production*

The Sparks Fly Upward premiered on November 8, 2008 (photos included here)
in Des Moines, Iowa before a sold out audience of approximately 1100 people
that gave the production a long and enthusiastic standing ovation. Sparks
and its music have been described as “beautiful,” “compelling,”
“inspiring,” “unforgettable,” ”powerful,” “moving,” and “profound.”

*Here are some comments about Sparks:*

“I have lived a very privileged life as an artist, and as part of that
process, have been involved in more than my share of moving, deep and
touching performances, both as an observer and participant. The performance
last night goes right on that list of important events that I will never
forget. Maybe the most touching moment came after the performance when
several older people that lived through this horrible series of events came
up and expressed through their tears how much they appreciated your work.”

~Maestro Joseph Giunta, Conductor of the Des Moines Symphony and The Sparks
Fly Upward~

“It is hard to put into words all the gratitude we have for you and for
what you have given to the community through the production of The Sparks
Fly Upward. To the community you have given a sense of hope amidst the
evils in our world. To tie together the horrors of the Holocaust with the
beauty of what people of conscience have done and continue to do is a true
gift. May we all take your sense of hope and call to action into our world
today and make a difference whenever we can. “

~Gabrielle Callistein~

The historical accuracy of the story, music, lyrics and photos taken
together teach history, pay tribute to the victims and heroes of the
Holocaust, and provide audiences with a deep and moving theatrical
experience. Sparks has a transformative message and the power to inspire
audiences to awareness and action about the Holocaust, genocide,
intolerance and hatred.

I hope this answers your questions. Please feel free to message me if you
have further questions.

Cathy Lesser Mansfield

clessermansfield at gmail.com