[NEohioPAL] ABOB seeks original one acts

Clay Nielsen hilltopr at mac.com
Sat Apr 2 09:46:45 PDT 2022

Arlene’s Broadway on Buffalo has had a tradition since opening of providing a venue for new script writers to see their creations come to life on stage. We’ve showcased dozens of newly-created scripts written by newbies to seasoned vets; usually presenting them in a late summer/early fall collection of one-act plays.

This time, as the annual call goes out for submissions, we’d like to try something a little different. To keep up the tradition of debut works, but add some polish to the production for the audience, we’re providing the basic set in which the play takes place and letting the authors’ creativity take it from there.

The rules are: The play must take place within the framework of the set…the rest is up to you.

Here is the setting:

……The lights come up on a room with a low, cheap sofa, illuminated by a single bulb hung center. An unopened suitcase sits on one side of the sofa. End table on the other side with a picture turned face down.Slightly opened door upstage left and window upstage right with blinking light showing through and a mannikin posed in front of it. There is a closed door stage right. A broken mirror is on the wall stage left near door. Aaaannnnndddd…go!….

We don’t care if it’s a mystery, comedy, drama or even musical. We want it to be original, new and based in the set. Submissions should be 8-20 minutes long. We anticipate grouping 6-8 of these together into an August or September production. There is no pay for the successful entrants, though each author will receive a DVD of the production, tickets to the show and full credit throughout the production and performance process. Heck, we’ll even throw in free popcorn!

Scripts should be formatted in approximate script form and will be submitted electronically.

Please message with any questions.