[NEohioPAL] Silent film accompanist Jeff Rapsis is back at the Cinematheque this Friday for NANOOK OF THE NORTH and an added surprise comedy!

Genevieve Schwartz gbschwartz at cia.edu
Tue Apr 19 15:18:44 PDT 2022

FYI: NANOOK OF THE NORTH (with live keyboard accompaniment by Jeff Rapsis) shows Friday at 8:00 pm at the Cinematheque! Tickets are $15; $12 for CIA/CSU I.D. holders, Cinematheque members, and those age 25 & under. Proof of Covid vaccination and a photo ID are required. See details below.

Friday, April 22, at 8:00 pm

Jeff Rapsis accompanies

NANOOK OF THE NORTH

USA, 1922, Robert Flaherty

New England's energetic and ebullient silent film accompanist Jeff Rapsis, who blogs about his travels and performances at jeffrapsis.com, returns to the Cinematheque only three months after his last appearance. (If you missed him in January, don't do the same this time around.) On this visit, Jeff will provide live electronic keyboard accompaniment to two silent movies marking their centennials this year. First up is Buster Keaton's The Frozen North, a 17-min. spoof of William S. Hart westerns. Next is Robert Flaherty's landmark "docufiction" Nanook of the North, one of the most famous and influential movies ever made. This seminal blend of ethnography and poetry captures the harsh, heroic daily life of an Inuit family living in the Arctic Circle. In 1989 it became one of the first 25 "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" films selected for the Library of Congress's National Film Registry. (Nanook is all three.) Blu-ray. 79 min. After an intermission, Jeff will accompany a bonus, surprise 1921 comedy feature set in his home state of New Hampshire. He's bringing this rarity with him. DVD. Approx. 60 min. Special admission $15; members, CIA & CSU I.D. holders, and those age 25 & under $12. No passes or twofers.

Our Covid protocols. All Cinematheque moviegoers are required to show proof of Covid vaccination and a photo ID upon entering CIA. This is in addition to having their temperature taken via a touchless device and wearing a mask for the duration of their visit. Learn more under the "Vaccination Requirement: Visitors to CIA" section at cia.edu/covid<https://www.cia.edu/about-us/safety-security/smart-return-to-school>. As a reminder, filmgoers can park for free in Lot 73 and in the Institute's annex lot and should enter CIA via nearby Entrance C. Click here<https://www.cia.edu/files/resources/18-19cinemap-parkingjune12.jpg> for a map.

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation!

See our film schedule for details. https://www.cia.edu/cinematheque/film-schedule/2022/04/nanook-of-the-north

Thank you,
Genevieve Schwartz
Cinematheque Assistant Director