[NEohioPAL] HATHAWAY BROWN THEATRE INSTITUTE- SUMMER 2022

Beatrice Katz bkatz at hb.edu
Wed Apr 20 10:54:30 PDT 2022

Hathaway Brown Theatre Institute - SUMMER 2022

June 13th - August 5th

Session 1 (6/13-7/1) session 2 (7/5-7/22) session 3 (7/25- 8/5)

Hathaway Brown Theatre Institute (HBTI) provides students an environment
where they can immerse themselves in drama, dance and voice. It is a place
for learning, sharing, experimenting, exploring, and seeking their artistic
voice. In this positive, process oriented atmosphere students will have the
opportunity to interact and work alongside working professionals in the
arts. The time spent at this “intensive” will grow their theatre skills,
increase their self-confidence, help them gain social skills and open them
to a world of possibilities and new ideas

Hathaway Brown Theatre Institute is committed to providing our community
the knowledge, skill and experiences necessary to navigate in a complex
society of human differences.  We will collaborate to create and maintain
an inclusive learning community and foster understanding and respect for
multiple perspectives Check out the entire HBTI summer program at
www.hb.edu/hbti or hbti 2022
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1okI_3rq00Ll5PA4oYZMnFBYoKWra5fHoHJzlQ5Y2sDg/edit?usp=sharing>

HBTI 2022 is LIVE & in person.. Hathaway Brown School follows the CDC
guidelines and all the summer programs will adhere to that. Current policy
as of 3/1, is MASK OPTIONAL INDOORS. We will continue to follow all the
current Covid policies and we always put the students' health and safety as
our first priority.

* HBTI presents*

JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT

 July 14-July 24, 2022

Music by Andrew Lloyd Webber * Lyrics by Tim Rice

HBTI is presenting JOSEPH as our main stage production this summer. The
principal roles have been cast but we are still accepting auditions for two
brothers, the main ensemble and the children's ensemble. To request a live
audition, a zoom audition or to submit a video audition please send an
email Bebe Katz, the HBTI director at: bkatz at hb.edu

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (colloquially known as Joseph) is
a sung-through musical by Tim Rice (lyrics) and Andrew Lloyd Webber
(music). "Sha la la, Joseph, you’re doing fine! You and your dreamcoat,
ahead of your time!” One of the most enduring shows of all time, *Joseph
and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat* is a reimagining of the Biblical
story of Joseph, his father Jacob, eleven brothers and the coat of many
colors.

Told entirely through song with the help the Narrator, the musical follows
preferred son Joseph. After he is sold into slavery by his brothers, he
ingratiates himself with Egyptian noble Potiphar, but ends up in jail after
refusing the amorous advances of Potiphar’s wife. While imprisoned, Joseph
discovers his ability to interpret dreams, and he soon finds himself in
front of the mighty, but troubled, Elvis-inspired, Pharaoh. Joseph’s
solution to Egypt’s famine elevates him to Pharaoh’s right-hand man and
reunites him with his family.

It was the first Lloyd Webber/Rice musical to be publicly performed and
their first ever collaboration. *Joseph* started out as a 15 minute vocal
cantata in the early 1970’s and became a full length musical in early
1980’s. It has received 6 Tony Award nominations including Best musical and
Best original score. This magical musical is full of catchy songs in a
variety of styles, from a parody of French ballads (“Those Canaan Days”),
to country-western (“One More Angel in Heaven”) and calypso (“Benjamin
Calypso”), along with the unforgettable classics “Any Dream Will Do” and
“Close Every Door.”

*Hathaway Brown Theatre Institutes production will be directed and
choreographed by Bebe Weinberg Katz, with musical Direction by John Krol.* A
full synopsis of the entire story is available on the Concord Theatrical
website: Joseph
<https://www.concordtheatricals.com/p/44899/joseph-and-the-amazing-technicolor-dreamcoat>

*Roles* still available for children, (grades 4-6) teens and young adults
(7th grade – College).  *At HBTI we embrace creative casting, everything is
open and we are seeking a diverse cast.  *

*Note*: To be eligible to participate in this production you must attend at
least 1 session of HBTI 2022 Summer Training.  There is a production fee
associated with each show.  For more information and/or to request an
audition appointment  email  HBTI Director, Bebe Weinberg Katz  at:
bkatz at hb.edu