[NEohioPAL] Kent Trumbull Theatre Announces 2022/2023 Season

Kildow, Eric ekildow at kent.edu
Mon May 9 08:59:32 PDT 2022

The Kent Trumbull Theatre is proud to announce our season for the 2022/2023 school year.  We will be offering an exciting pair of mainstage shows supplemented by our Young Playwrights Festival at the end of the year.

The Impracticality of Modern Day Mastodons by Rachel Teagle. (October 21-23, 28-30)
Suddenly all childhood dreams have come true, and the world is full of astronauts, ballerinas, cowboys, and princesses. It's a brave and glorious new world for everyone but Jess, who wanted to be a mastodon when she grew up. With the help of her friendly vocational adviser and her super-spy boyfriend, Jess embarks on a journey to find her place in the world and discover why it seems to be unraveling. An offbeat comedy about ambition, vocation, and restlessness.

Die Mommie Die! by Charles Busch (March 3-5, 10-12)
This hilarious comic melodrama evokes the 1960s "Grande Dame Guignol" movie thrillers that featured such aging cinematic icons as Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Lana Turner and Susan Hayward.  Ex-pop singer Angela Andrews is trapped in a hateful marriage with film producer Sol Sussman. Desperate to find happiness with her younger lover, an out-of-work TV actor named Tony Parker, Angela murders her husband with the aid of a poisoned suppository. In a plot that reflects Greek tragedy as well as Hollywood kitsch, Angela's Elektra-like daughter Edith convinces Angela's emotionally disturbed son Lance that they must avenge their father's death by killing their mother. Lance, demanding proof of Angela's crime, slips some LSD into her after-dinner coffee. Angela is plunged into a wild acid trip that reveals that she killed not only the children's father but also their mother; she isn't their mother at all, but rather their Aunt Barbara. A surprising twist ending has all of the Sussman family's dirty laundry aired out once and for all. Angela (aka Aunt Barbara), realizing that happiness cannot be built upon a foundation of lies, turns herself in to the police.

Young Playwrights Festival by Various (April 21-23, 28-30)
We will be staging the results of our playwriting competition for High School Juniors and Seniors from Trumbull and neighboring counties.  Come see fresh new works by exciting young voices from right here in Northeast Ohio. The Kent Trumbull Theatre Young Playwrights Festival was started to encourage young writers in the Mahoning Valley and neighboring areas by producing their original plays.  Eligible students are high school juniors and seniors from Trumbull and surrounding counties.  As our team brings their stories to life, students may also be eligible for scholarships to study at Kent State University at Trumbull.

We will also be doing our popular Sips & Scripts program in collaboration with Modern Methods Brewing Company.  Preliminary reading dates are: 9/7/22, 10/5/22, 11/2/22, 12/7/22, 1/18/23, 2/1/23, 3/8/23, 4/5/23.  Individuals interested in submitting can do so here: https://forms.gle/HoSe3jmpvGNPrnza8.  Script submission deadline is 11:59pm on 6/15/22.

Eric S. Kildow, Associate Professor & Program Director
School of Theatre and Dance
Kent State University at Trumbull

"We are all ancestors in training." -Larissa Fasthorse