[NEohioPAL] press release - And Now The Music podcast & digital EP

Liz Huff lizlaughs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 07:11:23 PDT 2022

*Media Contact:*

Liz Huff, officialandnowthemusic at gmail.com

440-754-0753

lizhuff.net

*New Podcast Spotlights Northeast Ohio's Talented Musicians*

*And Now The Music, Presented by Co-founders Liz Huff and Bruce Gigax,
Features Interviews and Jazz and Classical Performances*

September 22, 2022 (CLEVELAND, OH) — It's no secret that Northeast Ohio's
music scene is bursting with talent. A new podcast, And Now The Music (
facebook.com/andnowthemusic <http://www.facebook.com/andnowthemusic>), aims
to spotlight some of the region's jazz and classical talent with
behind-the-scenes interviews and incredible performances.

"Think a format similar to the NPR show Marian McPartland’s Piano Jazz, but
for many different instruments, and performers playing jazz, world, and
classical music," says co-founder/host Liz Huff.

The idea for And Now The Music came together in late June 2020, arising out
of a conversation between Huff and Bruce Gigax, the latter the long-time
audio engineer for The Cleveland Orchestra. "When Bruce called me up to see
if I was interested in doing a project together, I said, 'Absolutely!'"
says Huff, who's also a vocalist and co-founder of Notes To Music
Productions along with Gigax. "It was early in the pandemic, and I was
thrilled to have something creative to work on that would give other
musicians a creative outlet as well. I love interviewing our guests—we've
got great conversations and great music!"

Ensuring both the interviews and performances were of high-quality audio
was important to both Huff and Gigax. Luckily, the latter owned his own
studio, Audio Recording Studio, which gave the pair more control over their
sound "I had watched other livestreams and became convinced that you didn't
need to sacrifice sound quality when presenting performances online," Gigax
says. "Since I had a real recording studio, I thought we could do a good
job presenting people's musical skills to a broader audience. An added
bonus was hearing a variety of talents, too."

And Now the Music's first episodes feature:

   - *Gruca White Ensemble. *The duo—featuring guitarist Robert Gruca and
   flautist Linda White—have been getting rave reviews for their debut
album, *A
   Different Take*.
   - *Griffith Crabtree Duo*. Pianist Marshall Griffith and flautist
   Virginia Crabtree favor jazzy and traditional versions of holiday tunes.
   - *Ariel Clayton Karas*. The Opus 216 violinist shares thoughts on life
   as an indie musician.
   - *Kim Gomez, Lisa Boyko and Bryan Dumm.* The violinist, viola player
   and cellist (respectively) are all Cleveland Orchestra members playing
   Bach, Mozart and Ernst von Dohnanyi
   - *Calvin Stokes and Liz Huff.* The harpist and soprano/vocalist playing
   jazz and classical, including Grandjany, Ellington, Porter, and Hasselmans.

The latter episode of the podcast
<https://www.stitcher.com/show/and-now-the-music/episode/calvin-stokes-on-harp-jazz-classical-liz-huff-soprano-vocals-playing-grandjany-ellington-porter-hasselmans-and-more-86161184>
also encouraged Huff to release a digital EP, *Jazz That Classical Harp*
<https://andnowthemusicharpvoice.hearnow.com/jazz-that-classical-harp#nt_settings>,
featuring the songs she and Stokes performed. "The podcast has been such
fun, and I've been really gratified by the positive responses and support
from listeners," Huff says. "It occurred to me, 'Hey, we should release the
tunes for people who want the song list!' Calvin plays so beautifully, and
it was such a joy to perform with him, I thought this would be a good place
to start for a digital EP."

And Now the Music is available via Apple Music
<https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/and-now-the-music/id1546745986>,
Amazon
<https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/4c2546d3-0d15-40e7-bb3e-156aae913f21/And-Now-The-Music>
, Stitcher <https://www.stitcher.com/show/and-now-the-music>, Spotify
<https://open.spotify.com/episode/2qGLhCWpb3fKhH8qO9Bv3k>, and wherever
podcasts are found. Expect the podcast's second series coming later this
winter.

###

*About Liz Huff:* A versatile performer, Liz Huff does concert work,
theater, improv, and collaborative arts projects throughout the Midwest and
locations as far-flung as Estonia, Northern Ireland, and Finland. Music and
comedy have led Liz to performing on many diverse

stages and venues including Severance Hall, internationally renowned jazz
venue Nighttown, and the Del Close Marathon at the Upright Citizens Brigade
in NYC.

As an educator, Liz teaches improv at Baldwin Wallace Community Arts
School, leads

musical theater/opera masterclasses, storytelling and communication
workshops, and coaches voice. An advocate for new work in theater and
music, Liz has premiered works by composers including Ryan Charles Ramer
and Marshall Griffith, and by playwrights John Busser and Molly McFadden. A
graduate of the Cleveland Institute of Music, she studied improv at The
Annoyance Theater in Chicago.

*About Bruce Gigax:* Bruce Gigax retired from his long-time gig as audio
engineer for The Cleveland Orchestra, now focused on classical, jazz, and
choral recording projects.

*About Calvin Stokes*: Cleveland, Ohio, native Calvin Stokes is the winner
of the 1995 Lyon & Healy Harpfest® International Jazz/Pop Harp Competition.
He later went on to earn Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Music
Performance from the Cleveland Institute of Music under the tutelage of
world-renowned harpist, Alice Chalifoux. He has performed with major
orchestras across the United States. It was while touring Europe that this
Tanglewood alum played in his first jazz "jam session.”

This versatile artist can be found on various recordings ranging from
classical pieces by 20th century American composers to jumping into the
fray with rock-leaning bands. Currently, he performs various concerts
around the country ranging from classical to jazz using his friendly,
relaxed stage presence to expand the awareness and perceptions of the harp.
This multi-talented performer has also made several television appearances
both as a harpist and an actor.

--
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.  Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it.  ~ Goethe

*Sign up for newsletter: The Magic of What If (Musically Inclined,
Chocolate Fueled) <https://tinyletter.com/LizHuff>*

*Check out our podcast,* And Now The Music
<https://www.facebook.com/AndNowTheMusic>! *(available via Apple Music
<https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/and-now-the-music/id1546745986>,
Amazon
<https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/4c2546d3-0d15-40e7-bb3e-156aae913f21/And-Now-The-Music>,
Stitcher
<https://www.stitcher.com/show/and-now-the-music>, Spotify
<https://open.spotify.com/episode/2qGLhCWpb3fKhH8qO9Bv3k>, and wherever you
get your podcasts!)*

*Visit my performer page on Facebook*: Liz Huff
<https://www.facebook.com/lizhuffperformer/>

*Connect with me on* LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/liz-huff-5532957/>

lizhuff.net/