[NEohioPAL] MISERY AUDITIONS @ PLAYERS GUILD THEATRE

Breanna Morton breannalmorton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 14:58:29 PST 2022

-Auditions-

*Misery *by William Goldman

Based on the novel by Stephen King

Directed by Michael Glavan

Joshua Erichsen, Producing Artistic Director

Production Stage Manager: Breanna Antoniades

SYNOPSIS: Misery follows successful romance novelist Paul Sheldon, who is
rescued from a car crash by his “number one fan,” Annie Wilkes, and wakes
up captive in her secluded home. While Paul is convalescing, Annie reads
his latest book and becomes enraged when she discovers the author has
killed off her favorite character, Misery Chastain. Annie forces Paul to
write a new Misery novel, and he quickly realizes Annie has no intention of
letting him go anywhere. The irate Annie has Paul writing as if his life
depends on it, and it does.

WHERE: Players Guild Theatre - Kent State University at Stark Fine Arts
Building (6000 Frank Ave NW, Canton, OH 44720) Floor One, in the Black Box
space.

PERFORMANCE DATES: April 14th- 30th, 2023. Fridays @ 7:30P, Saturdays @
7:30P, and Sundays @ 2P. There will be no School Matinees for this
performance.

AUDITIONS: To sign up for a slot on January 5 or 6, go to
www.playersguildtheatre.com/audition.
Callbacks will be scheduled for January 7 as needed. If you cannot make
this time, please contact the director Michael Glavan at
MiserySubmissions at gmail.com.
Prepare one monologue 2-3 minutes in length OR you can look at sides
available online to fashion an audition piece. Bring a headshot and resume
if you have them. Sides or monologues do not have to be memorized, though
it will be most helpful for them to be familiar to the point that we can
work in the room. Ideally the monologue doesn’t exceed 2 minutes so that we
have time to get to work it a few ways while also taking time to chat and
say hey.

REHEARSALS: Formal rehearsals will begin the second week of March. It is
possible that not all rehearsals will be held at CPG / KSU Stark if it’s of
aid and convenience to the cast. Depending on availability, there may be a
few zoom/remote rehearsals prior to the second week of March. The hope
would be to set our goals and expectations for the process and accomplish a
read thru/tablework before diving into blocking and staging aspects of the
show. With cast conflicts in hand, I hope to have a rehearsal schedule for
the full production ready by the end of January. Aiming to rehearse 4-5
times a week and/or adjust as needed.

ABOUT THE SHOW: We are going to be staging this production of Misery in the
black box space and seeking to create an intimate if not fully-immersive
quality to our performance. Because of those parameters, I’m particularly
seeking theatre-makers who are excited and fueled by experimental - safe -
exploration and collaboration. This production is seeking actors who are
comfortable taking ownership of the space. Being in the black box - and
likely immersed in the audience - harnessing authenticity in our stage
business and action will be paramount. The roles are listed below.

QUESTIONS: Michael Glavan at MiserySubmissions at gmail.com

Please bring a current photo or provide a Headshot/Resume, if available. These
will become property of the Players Guild and will not be returned.

For parking, please park in the student lot 107 next to the Fine Arts
Building on Kent State University at Stark’s Campus
[image: page3image15844992] [image: page3image15846240] [image:
page3image15846448]

ROLES

I will try to maintain my character breakdowns to what is objectively and
explicitly voiced by the script. I think these attributes can mean
different things to different actors. I am not at all concerned or
interested in recreating the film in my casting or seeking impressions. I’m
very interested in what these words mean to you and how they manifest
through your imagination. **All roles will be paid.*

Annie Wilkes: mid 30s - 60s Female-presenting. “She wears, as always, a
cardigan sweater. Annie is like no one else on this or any planet.” She is
the self-professed number-one-fan of Paul Sheldon. She was once married but
“wasn’t very good at it.” She does not approve of cursing. She lives in a
small domicile in Silver Creek, Colorado. She was once a nurse and
possesses a thorough medical knowledge. She is [somehow] capable of
retrieving Paul from a car wreck and bringing him up the hill back to her
home. Likewise capable of posing a genuine physical challenge to Paul.
Swings a sledge hammer.

At times she is buoyant, melancholic, bashful, determined, wistful,
forceful, loads more - all this to say, she has a wide breadth of life in
this production. She will participate in stage combat.

Paul Sheldon: 40s Male-presenting. A famous author of the acclaimed Misery
Chastain series. “A literary genius.” He was twenty-four when he wrote his
first novel and has completed eight books for the series in the subsequent
twenty years, “Misery is responsible for all of my success.” He just
completed a manuscript for a new book when he gets into a car wreck during
a snowstorm. His shoulder was dislocated, he suffered compound fractures in
both tibias and the high fibula. His mobility is therefore compromised
throughout almost the entirety of the show.

He was once married and has a daughter. He also has an agent. At times he
is grateful, charming, proud, spiteful, cunning, desperate, determined,
loads more - all this to say, he likewise has a range. He will participate
in stage combat.

Buster: Male / Female / Non-Binary. The town sheriff who comes looking for
Paul Sheldon. The audience’s hope for a savior. I think there is A LOT of
opportunity to create vastly different Busters. Very much interested in a
full fledged character with their own journey despite comparatively less
lines.

SUBMISSIONS

If you are unable to make the currently scheduled audition times on Jan 5,
6, and 7 you are welcome and encouraged to submit for the production
remotely.

Please prepare one monologue 2-3 minutes in length OR you can look at sides
available online to fashion an audition piece.

Record your audition and upload it to an unlisted Youtube video. If you
have questions on how to do that: How To Upload Videos with YouTube
StudioYouTube · YouTube Creators.

Send the unlisted YouTube Video link as well a headshot, resume, and
completed audition forms to MiserySubmissions at gmail.com.

All submissions are due by January 6.

--
Breanna Antoniades