[NEohioPAL] Teen Theater Winter Workshops at Beck Center for the Arts in Stage Combat and Shakespeare! Sign up today!

Sarah Clare sclare at beckcenter.org
Tue Jan 3 06:59:21 PST 2023

SIGN UP TODAY FOR TEEN THEATER WINTER WORKSHOPS, AND CLASSES AT BECK CENTER FOR THE ARTS FOR THE WINTER/SPRING SEMESTER!

Beck Center for the Arts Youth Theater program is offering two unique workshops for teens this winter. Join us for the two-day workshops exploring Stage Combat and Tackling Shakespeare. These workshops are the perfect fit for students interested in our upcoming production of William Shakespeare’s The Land of the Dead, or for students looking for a challenge!

9717  Teen Stage Combat - Two Day Workshop (Ages 13-18)
Saturday/Sunday 1/7/2023-1/8/2023 12:30 PM-3:30 PM
This workshop will focus on stage combat practices for single sword fighting (swashbuckling) techniques. Students will explore the styles used to create the illusion of danger and the means by which we use violence to tell stories on the stage and screen. Focus will be placed on safety, partnering, physical specificity and performance.

9740  Teens Tackling Shakespeare - Two Day Workshop (Ages 13-18)
Wednesday/Thursday 1/11/2023-1/12/2023 5:00 PM-8:00 PM
This workshop is about bringing Shakespeare to life. This starts with understanding the text and character, and moves into applying intention and action. Each student will get multiple opportunities to explore the text, dig into the words and action of their piece, and build & develop a character. Students will be supplied with sample texts and monologues, but any Shakespearean monologue may be brought in by a student to be used.

Our Winter Workshops will be led by the incredible instructor Dusten Welch, who joined our teaching faculty this fall. Dusten is an award-winning fight choreographer and director with more than 70 choreography credits to his name including: Great Lakes Theater, Idaho Shakespeare Festival, Cleveland Play House, Cleveland Public Theatre, Beck Center, Dobama Theater, Ensemble Theatre, Cleveland Shakespeare Festival, Playwrights Local, convergence-continuum, Baldwin Wallace University, Ashland University, St. Bonaventure University, and the Academy for the Performing Arts.  He is a multi-recipient of the Kennedy Center Foundation’s ACTF Achievement Award for Fight Direction (2007, 2016).  His directing credits most recently include works at Cleveland Shakespeare Festival, Baldwin Wallace University, and the Academy for the Performing Arts.  Dusten serves as the Artistic Director for Cleveland Shakespeare Festival, where in 2015, his production of A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM won Cleveland Scene Magazine’s Best Outdoor Arts Experience. He teaches stage combat for Baldwin Wallace University, is a member of the Society of American Fight Directors, and holds his BA in Theatre and Performance from Ashland University.

In addition to these workshops, Monday, January 16th, will mark the start of our 2023 winter/spring semester at Beck Center for the Arts … and some of our classes are already sold out!

We have opportunities to participate in one of our classes including after school offerings, and our great Saturday packages… be it Essentials of Theater, Youth Core, or Teen Core options. Classes are available for students ages 2-19 in acting, singing, dancing, auditioning, improvisation, and more! We also offer adult classes in Acting, and private lessons.

Beck Center for the Arts offers our catalog online 24/7 - complete with fast and easy registration. You can sign up for any class right from the comforts of home!  You can even wake up, sign on, sign up, and head over for class all in a matter of minutes. 

If you’ve been meaning to get involved or wanting to check out what the buzz is all about at Beck Center … now is the time.  Don’t wait too long or you just might miss out!

Copy and paste this link to take you directly to our Winter/Spring 2023 catalog: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5c9ae157ca525b79e8f35998/t/637bd5b17fbd7046370f9c9b/1669060018628/BeckCenterWinterSpring2023+Classes+Lessons+Program+11-21.pdf

Enroll online at www.beckcenter.org, call 216-521-2540 or stop by in person at Beck Center for the Arts on 17801 Detroit in Lakewood and join the fun!

* * * * *

Located at 17801 Detroit Avenue in Lakewood, Beck Center for the Arts is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 organization that offers professional theater productions, arts education programming in dance, music, theater, visual arts, early childhood, and creative arts therapies for special needs students, and gallery exhibits featuring local, regional and international artists. For more information visit beckcenter.org.