[NEohioPAL] Find out about Cleveland's Culinary History!

Bette Lou Higgins blheve at edenvalleyenterprises.org
Wed Jan 4 07:52:19 PST 2023

Spotlight on Cleveland's Eateries!
Since LOST RESTAURANTS OF DOWNTOWN CLEVELAND came out in September, 2021,
I've been lucky enough to visit bookstores like Visible Voice in Cleveland
and Mindfair in Oberlin for book signings and presented the companion
storytelling program for many groups including libraries and historical
societies in Cuyahoga and Lorain Counties.  The trips continue and if you
can join me in January and February AND have a great meal!

On Thursday, January 19, 2023, you can take A TOUR OF CLEVELAND RESTAURANTS
IN 30 MINUTES -- MORE OR LESS! This storytelling program based on the book
is a trip through time.  You'll stop by some of the city's most famous and
historic places to "visit" them during their heyday.  You'll get a sense of
what it was like to sit in the Vogue room at the Hollenden Hotel to hear
Dean Martin and the Sammy Watkins Orchestra in 1942.  You can visit the
Alpine Village in 1955 and maybe catch owner Herman Pirchner deliver 55
beer mugs to his customers at one time.  It's a quick and delicious trip
back to the past.

The tour will take place at 1:00 p.m. at the Beachwood Community Center
<https://www.beachwoodohio.com/138/Community-Services>; 25325 Fairmount
Blvd., Beachwood, Ohio. Tickets for the show are $5.00. Tickets for a
pre-paid, pre-ordered noon lunch are $16.00 non/residents and $13.00 for
Beachwood residents. Lunch choices are: Chicken Lo Mein Or Vegetable Subgum
served with a vegetable egg roll, beverage and dessert. Pre-registration is
required. For complete information and to purchase tickets, contact Susan
at 216-292-1911.

On Thursday, February 23, 2023 you can join me when I sit down to talk with
Mike Miller about the book at The Music Box Supper Club
<https://musicboxcle.com/> at 1148 Main Avenue in Cleveland. Come enjoy a
dinner (or just come for the book talk!) and find out about some of these
lost eateries at one of the CURRENT places to enjoy some culinary
delights.  Make your reservations now
<https://musicboxcle.com/event/lost-restaurants-of-cleveland/>!  For more
information, call the Music Box at 216-242-1250. Doors open at 5 p.m. and
the program starts at 7 p.m.

Both events promise to be fun, festive and filled with food!  I hope to see
you at one or both of these presentations.  You can purchase copies of the
book at both events, at your local bookstore or online at Arcadia Press
<https://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Products/9781467140881>.

Since this is my first letter to you in the new year, please let me wish
you a Wonderful and Healthy 2023.  Know that I and the rest of the Eden
Valley staff appreciate your support as audience members, presenters and
donors for all of our projects.  We look forward to sharing stories with
you all year.

As we look ahead, we continue to move forward with our documentary about
Victoria Woodhull.  We are working on plans to begin filming this year and
are grateful to everyone who has contributed specifically to this project.
As you know, the pandemic caused us to pull back on our plans for the
project.  We are now working ONLY off of money we can raise from supporters
like you and we are happy to report that many of you stepped forward last
year to offer help.  For complete information about the project, please visit
our website <https://www.edenvalleyenterprises.org/woodhull/woodhullinf.htm>
.

If you would like to book a "restaurant tour" for your group or present any
of our programs at your next event, just reply to this e-mail with your
request.  I'll be in touch to help you plan your get-together.

Here's to a joyful 2023!

Bette Lou Higgins
Artistic Director