[NEohioPAL] THE WALL: "Run to this experience," "A must see!"

Ray Caspio raycaspio at gmail.com
Thu May 4 08:32:20 PDT 2023

*"Powerful, thought provoking and provocative! A must see!"*
-Cleveland Explored

*"[Caspio's] presence is always compelling...and [their] words!"*
-Christine Howey

*"Vulnerable, beautiful, sexy, political, emotional art and performance in
one gallery. Run to this experience, I’m so glad I got to be in town for
this."*
-NE, patron

*"I’ve never felt art like this before. Ineffable. (My best tries: sensual,
uncomfortable, brave, turbulent, inspiring, grave, poetic…not even close).
I recommend taking some time with this soul collection that Ray Caspio has
put together. Go in with no expectations and just feel it."*
-AW, patron

THE WALL is a durational performance installation centered around a 6’4” x
6’4” wall of text from Caspio’s studio composed of automatic writings
recorded during their 18 month pandemic isolation. The result is a
dreamlike meditation on loss, Self, sexuality, and memory inviting
participants to face the walls we erect around ourselves. THE WALL's raw
vulnerability and immersive reflection in a time of lies, chaos, and fear
of "the other" is a journey of acceptance toward the wholeness of
ourselves, and each other, before our time is through. THE WALL brings the
story to life through paintings, audio, photography, and automatic and
homoerotic drawings, with performance uniting all of the elements.

*PERFORMANCES*
Fridays, May 5, May 12, May 19: 6-9pm
Saturday, May 27, 11am-8pm
Tickets are Pay-What-You-Can, with a suggested amount of $25

*Come and go as you wish during the performance time.*
*Ages 18+ only*
*TICKETS:* https://www.raycaspio.com/thewall

*GALLERY DAYS*
Open to the public Saturdays and Sundays, 2-5pm, April 15-May 21.
Gallery days are free. No performance on Gallery days.
Other gallery hours by appointment. Reply to this e-mail to schedule a time.

*LOCATION*
1300 Gallery at 78th Street Studios
1300 West 78th Street
Cleveland, OH 44102

THE WALL is supported by The Satellite Fund, administered by SPACES, and
funded by The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts Regional
Regranting Program. It is co-produced by Caspio and Ohio City Theatre
Project.

*ABOUT RAY CASPIO*

Ray Caspio (b. 1979, they/he) is a performance and conceptual artist,
painter, and teaching artist. Their art is one of exposure. Caspio creates
atmospheric works ranging from confessional to comedic in an inquiry into
memory, Queer identity, loss, the grotesque of society, and profound
emotion. They possess a visceral vulnerability and irreverent humor that
opens an authentic conduit between the artist and their audience
collaborators. Their performances have been recognized as “magical” and
“intensely honest and unflinching,” with Ray being called “a shapeshifter”
and “one [person] tour de force.” Caspio’s creations have been performed at
The Cleveland Museum of Art (CMA), BorderLight Fringe, Theater Ninjas, and
Cleveland Public Theatre’s Pandemonium. Caspio’s work appeared on “Best of”
lists for Scene Magazine and WCPN’s The Sound of Applause. Ray was profiled
by Scene as “The Thespian'' of 2014. Caspio founded Michael Chekhov Center
Cleveland to share their understanding of Chekhov’s psychophysical
performance principles with Northeast Ohio artists. Ray received a 2016
Creative Workforce Fellowship for their performance work. Through the
revealing of cathartic truths of their inner life, Caspio inspires the
questions: Who am I? Who are you? Who are we? What is this space we
inhabit, together? And what does it mean to be alive?

*ABOUT OHIO CITY THEATRE PROJECT*
Actively involved in the Cleveland area since 2012, Ohio City Theatre
Project (OCTP) strives to create world class theatrical experiences that
are experienced intellectually and touch the heart. OCTP uses creative
innovation to drive civic dialog about contemporary issues and connects
with regional partners to develop synergistic opportunities for local
artists to produce new theatrical work and impactful education programs.

OCTP is led by Executive Artistic Director Pandora Robertson. OCTP has
produced the premieres of new works by Northeast Ohio artists, which
include the film But to work! (2021) as well as the plays Central Concern
(2019 premiere, 2022 Borderlight Festival Producer’s Choice Award),
Incendiaries
(2016 premiere, 2018 Ohio Arts Council Individual Excellence Award for
playwriting), Snake Oil (2015), Free Radical and The Late Night
Sketchbook (2014),
Summer Storefront (2013), Living Storefront: A Night of New Theatre (2012),
as well as productions of Eugène Ionesco’s The Bald Soprano (2013) and Matt
Larsen’s Kid Mystery (2012).

*raycaspio.com/thewall <http://raycaspio.com/thewall>*
*for tickets and more information*