[NEohioPAL] WALKING TO BUCHENWALD by Tom Jacobson opens June 2nd at convergence-continuum

Cory Molner cmolner at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 24 07:30:25 PDT 2023

A soon-to-be-married couple, Schiller and Arjay, take Schiller's parents on their first trip to Europe. Using his personal experience as a jumping off point, playwright Tom Jacobson takes the audience on an ominously comic journey during which guinea pigs play cricket, dead bodies talk, and the two couples learn what it means to be American in a world that no longer admires the U.S.
 “A story told with humor, subtlety, and emotional impact featuring characters you and I can recognize and identify with in a world gone increasingly mad, WALKING TO BUCHENWALD makes for yet another Tom Jacobson winner.”  —Steven Stanley, Stage Scene LA

 “Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. In life, death, and in playwright Tom Jacobson’s world view, these familiar five stages to acceptance are missing the one that is most important for survival: Laughing. Life is funny. People are funny. If God exists, He, She, They, or It must have a sense of humor—however twisted and brutal. The ‘shattering comedy’’ Jacobson promises in the press notes for Walking to Buchenwald sneaks up on you … We know Jacobson has a deeper story simmering … The fractured core of the show’s universe reveals itself gradually. Naturalistic scenes and behaviors take on increasingly surrealistic elements. We start to wonder what exactly is going on. Is this the end of the world? Figuratively, the answer is yes. Literally? We’re not sure. But all bets are off. And yet … somehow, in a final, quiet, awful, loving gesture of human generosity, Jacobson gives us hope — and a lot to think about. BUCHENWALD is about identity. It takes a wide, nonjudgmental look at what it means to be a parent, a spouse, a child; what it feels like to be in a relationship with a partner who is your temperamental opposite; to be a liberal in a Red State; an American in a Trump-like western world; someone dying in a world obsessed with hollow positivity; and what it means to be a European shackled to an America teeming with reemerging nativism. Jacobson doesn’t seek to determine who is to blame for anything. None of us is to blame. All of us are to blame. Blame God. Whatever. This is our world. The way we live now, and the way we die. BUCHENWALD lingers long after the final curtain, its puzzles working their way into your dreams.”  —Samuel Garza Bernstein, Stage and Cinema
    Walking to Buchenwald  features Emery Cohen, Nanna Ingvarsson, John Peters, John J Polk and Carolyn Todd.

 Directed by Brian Westerley

 Approximate runtime of two hours with intermission.
Walking to Buchenwald opens Friday, June 2  and runs Thu-Sat at 8 p.m, through June 24 atconvergence-continuum’s Liminis Theater, 2438 Scranton Rd., Cleveland, OH 44113in the historic Tremont neighborhood. Tickets are $23 general admission, $18for seniors and $18 for students. Tickets and information are available atwww.convergence-continuum.org and 216-687-0074.

Join us June 17th, and meet the playwright Tom Jacobson
Cory Molner
Executive Artistic Director, convergence-continuum Theater
(He/Him/His)

Links in the message (1)

|  |
convergence-continuum | Theatre | Tremo...