[NEohioPAL] Review of Rent @ Cain Park

Laura Kennelly lkennelly at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 14:28:05 PDT 2023

--Through 6/26

Cain Park kicked off the summer season with *Rent, *Jonathan Larson’s now
classic (and Pulitzer-Prize-winning) musical about creative artists trying
to survive in New York City.

Today, the storyline is less startling than it was in 1996 (we’ve moved on
from AIDS to Covid to whatever), but the heart and the feels are still
there. We see, once again (as Puccini made clear in *La Bohème*, the opera
*Rent* is modeled after*)*, being a starving artist isn’t fun.

Despite its focus on tragedy, the Cain Park version of *Rent* offered
tremendous opportunity for emotional solos, rebellious anthems, and general
celebration of youth, diversity, and spunk. The talented 17-member cast,
under the guidance of guest director Nathan Henry, told the story with
spirit.

full review at Cool Cleveland

https://coolcleveland.com/2023/06/theater-review-rent-cain-park-by-laura-kennelly/