[NEohioPAL] The Cleveland Chamber Choir Presents March Concerts

Kira McGirr kmcgirr at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 07:00:00 PST 2024

Get ready to be swept away by the stunning singing of the *Cleveland
Chamber Choir*, Cleveland’s premier professional choral ensemble, as we
conclude our season with *Choral Splendor: Old & New.* Reserve your tickets
for our *March 2nd and 3rd *performances at clevelandchamberchoir.org.

A Fusion of Past and Present
This concert is a unique exploration of how modern masters like *Caroline
Shaw, Jeff Scott, and Andrew Rindfleisch* pay homage to, and borrow from,
musical geniuses of the past. Prepare to be moved by their contemporary
takes on classic compositions from legends like *Thomas Tallis, Dietrich
Buxtehude, Gregorio Allegri, and Igor Stravinsky*.

TWO World Premieres!
In our ongoing commitment to expanding the canon, we're excited to present
two world premiere commissions:

   - *“Nǐ de Mìngyùn, Ayanmo Mi” (Your Destiny, My Destiny)* by world
   famous composer and horn player, Jeff Scott. This mesmerizing piece is
   inspired by the I Ching and Ifa divination practice, and is written in
   dialogue with Stravinsky’s *Yule divinations: Four Russian Peasant Songs*,
   for four french horns and choir.
   - *Joshua Estok*, a rising star who is a student at Cleveland State
   University, reimagines the opening lines of Tallis’s *“If Ye Love Me”* to
   create a meditation on how we love, expressed in speech and song.

Music with a Message
Our program closes with *To the Hands*, by Pulitzer Prize winning
composer *Caroline
Shaw*. The work takes as its starting point the cantata *“Ad manus”* (“To
the hands”) from *Dietrich Buxtehude*’s *Membra Jesu nostri* (The Limbs of
our Jesus). As Shaw writes:

------------------------------
*To the Hands* begins inside the 17th century sound of Buxtehude. It
expands and colors and breaks this language, as the piece’s core
considerations, of the suffering of those around the world seeking refuge,
and of our role and responsibility in these global and local crises,
gradually come into focus.
------------------------------

Support a Noble Cause
Join us in making a difference. This year, a record number of people around
the world have been displaced from their homes. A portion of proceeds from
our *pay what you will* tickets
<https://clevelandchamberchoir.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ad53d4c7527b6399911b27611&id=1ea759ecfb&e=81db4fb3fc>
will
go to aid Re:Source Cleveland
<https://clevelandchamberchoir.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ad53d4c7527b6399911b27611&id=e722173cfb&e=81db4fb3fc>.
Across
eight programs they support our newest neighbors as they settle into life
in Cleveland after their initial transition. They work with children and
adults who come to Cleveland as refugees, humanitarian parolees, asylum
seekers, and those with temporary protected status. Their work focuses on
supporting newcomers in building thriving lives through education,
mentoring, tutoring, mental health and wellness, urban agriculture,
employment, content creation, youth sports and recreation, and social
services and benefits enrollment. Or visit resourcecleveland.org/give
<https://clevelandchamberchoir.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ad53d4c7527b6399911b27611&id=708b54049d&e=81db4fb3fc>
support this important work directly.

Special Pre-Concert Talk
Enhance your experience with a *pre-concert talk by Dr. Charles Edward
McGuire* from Oberlin College & Conservatory, 45 minutes before each show.

Save the Dates!

   - Saturday, March 2, 2024, at 7:00 PM (pre-concert talk at 6:15 PM)
   First Lutheran Church, 1019 W. 5th St., Lorain
   - Sunday, March 3, 2024, at 4:00 PM (pre-concert talk at 3:15 PM)
   St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 2747 Fairmount Blvd, Cleveland Heights

Reserve Your Spot!
Don't miss this soul-stirring celebration of music. Reserve your tickets c
levelandchamberchoir.org.

This concert is presented with generous grants from The Cleveland
Foundation, Cuyahoga Arts & Culture, The Gund Foundation, Ohio Arts
Council, Local 4 Music Fund and the Bascom Little Fund, and with the help
of generous donors like you. Please consider supporting Cleveland Chamber
Choir with a donation.

We hope to see you on March 2nd or 3rd for an unforgettable concert
experience!