[NEohioPAL] Director Application for GMP Now Open

Shannon Seaber shoeaffair at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 15 09:28:03 PDT 2024

The Gates Mills Players are now accepting applications for Directors for the 2024-2025 season! The submission deadline is May 4, 2024.

There is a small ($500) stipend associated with this role.

To apply, please submit the following information to Shannon at GatesMillsPlayers.com for consideration:

1)      A copy of your theatre resume or the equivalent information written out in the email. For example, your previous experience, prior shows you’ve directed, any formal or informal training, etc.

2)      Indicate which show slot (or both) that you are available to direct.

a.      The 2024-2025 season is two shows

  i.      Fall show dates: November 1,2, 3, 8, 9. Rehearsals are scheduled to start Monday, August 26th and run each Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 7pm-9pm. There are some set conflicts that will be discussed. There is some availability Sundays or Wednesday to flex some days.

   ii.      Spring show dates: March 14, 15, 16, 21, 22. Rehearsals are scheduled to start Monday, January 6th. Same schedule as above.

3)      One or two shows you would be interested in directing. If you do not have any in mind, please request our list of GMP Board pre-approved shows to choose from.

a.      Criteria:

i.      No more than 10-12 actors – our stage, backstage, and green room cannot accommodate too many people

ii.      We lean toward comedy, farce, or mystery shows. We are open to one-act compilations, classics, radio shows, or other creative projects.

iii.      We cannot do musicals – too many people needed, too expensive, no place for the pit, etc.

iv.      The stage has no fly and limited wing space. Single set designs work best. The alternative is a stylized set with smaller, modular moving parts. Please have an idea of the set design. You will then work with a designer to finalize the vision.

4)      Acknowledge your commitment to directing at GMP. The GMP is a true community theater where the community of Players help facilitate the best quality production. As part of that community, we expect certain behaviors and commitments. Directors are expected to cast the show (using Players where possible); pre-schedule rehearsals within the available days of the Community House; attend all rehearsals, set build days, and strike; use rehearsals to mold, shape, craft your vision of the show; and throughout the process, work collaboratively and respectfully with the production team (actors, stage managers, designers, crew, FOH, etc.).

If you have additional questions, please reach out to the email above.