[NEohioPAL]an article - THE LESSON, by Leonard Pitts, Jr.

FSternfeld at aol.com FSternfeld at aol.com
Thu Sep 13 22:27:04 PDT 2001

--part1_b7.13a75ca6.28d2d294_boundary

THE LESSON
By Leonard Pitts Jr.
>Syndicated columnist
>
>They pay me to tease shades of meaning from social and cultural issues, to
>provide words that help make sense of that which troubles the American
>soul.

>But in this moment of airless shock when hot tears sting disbelieving eyes,
>the only thing I can find to say, the only words that seem to fit, must be
>addressed to the unknown author of this suffering.
>
>You monster. You beast. You unspeakable bastard.
>
>What lesson did you hope to teach us by your coward's attack on our
>World Trade Center, our Pentagon, us? What was it you hoped we would learn?
>Whatever it was, please know that you failed.
>
>Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
>
>Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
>
>Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
>
> Let me tell you about my people. We are a vast and quarrelsome family, a
family
> rent by racial, cultural, political and class division, but a family
nonetheless. We're
> frivolous, yes, capable of expending tremendous emotional energy on pop
cultural
> minutiae, a singer's revealing dress, a ball team's misfortune, a cartoon
mouse.

>We're wealthy, too, spoiled by the ready availability of trinkets and
material goods,
> and maybe because of that, we walk through life with a certain sense of
blithe
> entitlement. We are fundamentally decent, though -- peace-loving and
> compassionate. We struggle to know the right thing and to do it. And we
are, the
> overwhelming majority of us, people of faith, believers in a just and
loving God.

>Some people - you, perhaps - think that any or all of this makes us weak.
>You're mistaken. We are not weak. Indeed, we are strong in ways that
>cannot be measured by arsenals.
>
>Yes, we're in pain now. We are in mourning and we are in shock. We're still
>grappling with the unreality of the awful thing you did, still working to
>make ourselves understand that this isn't a special effect from some
>Hollywood blockbuster, isn't the plot development from a Tom Clancy novel.
>
>Both in terms of the awful scope of its ambition and the probable final
>death toll, your attacks are likely to go down as the worst acts of
>terrorism in the history of the United States and, indeed, the history
>of the world. You've bloodied us as we have never been bloodied before.
>
>But there's a gulf of difference between making us bloody and making us
>fall. This is the lesson Japan was taught to its bitter sorrow the last
>time anyone hit us this hard, the last time anyone brought us such abrupt
and
>monumental pain. When roused, we are righteous in our outrage, terrible
> [...]

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>THE LESSON
<BR>By Leonard Pitts Jr.
<BR>>Syndicated columnist
<BR>>
<BR>>They pay me to tease shades of meaning from social and cultural issues, to
<BR>>provide words that help make sense of that which troubles the American
<BR>>soul.
<BR>
<BR>>But in this moment of airless shock when hot tears sting disbelieving eyes,
<BR>>the only thing I can find to say, the only words that seem to fit, must be
<BR>>addressed to the unknown author of this suffering.
<BR>>
<BR>>You monster. You beast. You unspeakable bastard.
<BR>>
<BR>>What lesson did you hope to teach us by your coward's attack on our
<BR>>World Trade Center, our Pentagon, us? What was it you hoped we would learn?
<BR>>Whatever it was, please know that you failed.
<BR>>
<BR>>Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
<BR>>
<BR>>Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
<BR>>
<BR>>Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
<BR>>
<BR>> Let me tell you about my people. We are a vast and quarrelsome family, a family
<BR>> rent by racial, cultural, political and class division, but a family nonetheless. We're
<BR>> frivolous, yes, capable of expending tremendous emotional energy on pop cultural
<BR>> minutiae, a singer's revealing dress, a ball team's misfortune, a cartoon mouse.
<BR>>
<BR>>We're wealthy, too, spoiled by the ready availability of trinkets and material goods,
<BR>> and maybe because of that, we walk through life with a certain sense of blithe
<BR>> entitlement. We are fundamentally decent, though -- peace-loving and
<BR>> compassionate. We struggle to know the right thing and to do it. And we are, the
<BR>> overwhelming majority of us, people of faith, believers in a just and loving God.
<BR>>
<BR>>Some people - you, perhaps - think that any or all of this makes us weak.
<BR>>You're mistaken. We are not weak. Indeed, we are strong in ways that
<BR>>cannot be measured by arsenals.
<BR>>
<BR>>Yes, we're in pain now. We are in mourning and we are in shock. We're still
<BR>>grappling with the unreality of the awful thing you did, still working to
<BR>>make ourselves understand that this isn't a special effect from some
<BR>>Hollywood blockbuster, isn't the plot development from a Tom Clancy novel.
<BR>>
<BR>>Both in terms of the awful scope of its ambition and the probable final
<BR>>death toll, your attacks are likely to go down as the worst acts of
<BR>>terrorism in the history of the United States and, indeed, the history
<BR>>of the world. You've bloodied us as we have never been bloodied before.
<BR>>
<BR>>But there's a gulf of difference between making us bloody and making us
<BR>>fall. This is the lesson Japan was taught to its bitter sorrow the last
<BR>>time anyone hit us this hard, the last time anyone brought us such abrupt and
<BR>>monumental pain. When roused, we are righteous in our outrage, terrible
<BR>>in our force. When provoked by this level of barbarism, we will bear any
<BR>>suffering, pay any cost, go to any length, in the pursuit of justice.
<BR>>
<BR>>I tell you this without fear of contradiction. I know my people, as you,
<BR>>I think, do not. What I know reassures me. It also causes me to tremble
<BR>>with dread of the future.
<BR>>
<BR>>In days to come, there will be recrimination and accusation, fingers
<BR>>pointing to determine whose failure allowed this to happen and what can be
<BR>>done to prevent it from happening again. There will be heightened
<BR>>security, misguided talk of revoking basic freedoms. We'll go forward from this
<BR>>moment sobered, chastened, sad. But determined, too. Unimaginably determined.
<BR>>
<BR>>You see, there is steel beneath this velvet. That aspect of our character is
<BR>>seldom understood by people who don't know us well. On this day, the
<BR>>family's bickering is put on hold. As Americans we will weep, as Americans
<BR>>we will mourn, and as Americans, we will rise in defense of all that we cherish.
<BR>>
<BR>>Still, I keep wondering what it was you hoped to teach us. It occurs to me
<BR>>that maybe you just wanted us to know the depths of your hatred.
<BR>>
<BR>>If that's the case, consider the message received. And take this message
<BR>>in exchange: You don't know my people. You don't know what we're about. You
<BR>>don't know what you just started.
<BR>>
<BR>>But you're about to learn.
<BR></FONT></HTML>