[NEohioPAL]Moving Spaces Theatre Classes

Bernadette Clemens bernadettedevito at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 2 22:12:10 PDT 2001

Below is an email copy of Moving Spaces Theatre Co.'s Theatre Education
brochure. (Fall 2001)

Company Staff Members are:  Jodi Maile, Sonya Robbins, Laura Stitt,
Bernadette Clemens, & Sarah Morton

Registration Deadline for classes is October 20th...

	Moving Spaces
	Theatre Company

        presents:

        	       Theatre Education

                 	    Fall 2001

CLASS OFFERINGS:

MODERN CLASSICS - GREAT PLAYS OF THE 20th CENTURY

If you missed out on a table at The Algonquin, here's your chance to
participate in a salon style class. We will read and discuss some of the
seminal works of this century, focusing on the art of the dramatist as well
as asking larger questions about the political / social functions of the
theatre.
(Adults. Older teens with significant experience or literary acumen will be
enrolled at the discretion of the instructor.)

	instructor:  sonya robbins
	day/time: Mondays 7:00 - 8:30 pm
	October 22 - December 17

TRANSFORMATION
THROUGH MYTH

By exploring myths and stories of the collective unconscious, participants
will gain a better understanding of themselves as well as sharing universal
themes with others.  Embodying mythical characters through improvisation and
developing their own personal, myths, participants will transform the
personal experience into a social, political, and universal work of art.
Work will culminate in performance.
(Age 15 & up)

	instructor:  laura stitt
	date/time: Fridays 4:00 - 5:30 pm
	October 26 - December 21

CLASSICAL MONOLOGUES &
SCENE STUDY

for actors who need classical audition monologues or who want to feel
equally comfortable with classical and contemporary texts.  Develop
technique through intensive scene study and monologues selected from  the
greeks through the renaissance and restoration drama.  texts include
euripides, sophocles, shakespeare, webster, sheridan, congreve, behn, &
others,   (Age 16 & Up)

	instructor:  bernadette clemens
	Saturdays, 1:00 - 2:30 pm
	October 27 - December 22

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

Location:

All classes will be held at the unitarian church, 21600 shaker blvd
eastbound at belvoir oval

Fees*:    $90 per 8-week session
                   [Each class will take one week
                    off t.b.a. by instructors.]

* Check  payable to Moving spaces theatre
  co.  is DUE the first day of class.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

Registration:

1) email the following
     information to
     movingspaces at hotmail.com

	OR

2) phone laura stitt at 321-1265
     with your:

  Name
  address
  telephone #
  class(es) of choice
  (& if under 18:  parent/
         guardian name and age of
         student)

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

Registration Deadline:  Oct. 20

Meet Moving Spaces Theatre Company...

JODI MAILE is one of the original founders of MOVING SPACES and is dedicated
to arts education for children of all ages. Currently, Jodi is Director of
Theatre at Laurel School. As a theatre educator, Jodi has worked with Great
Lakes Theater Festival, Cleveland Sign Stage, Cleveland School of the Arts,
Near West Theater and Lorain County Community College . As an actor and
director, Jodi has worked with most of the professional theaters in
Cleveland. This past year, she was seen in Wit at Dobama and played Beatrice
in Cleveland Shakespeare Festival's production of MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING, as
well as writing and directing an original children's production entitled
FOLLOW THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD.

SONYA ROBBINS is a free-lance director and artist-educator. Sonya developed
Dobama Theatre's educational programming and was Artistic Director of The
Marilyn Bianchi Kids' Playwriting Festival for many years. Her directorial
and dramaturgical work has enriched (she hopes) many Cleveland stages.
Recent productions include Wit at Dobama, Scat! at Cain Park and The Cherry
Orchard for Moving Spaces, which she co-founded.

LAURA STITT, a co-founder of moving spaces, Is an accomplished actor and
educator performing in Chicago, Vermont, and Cleveland. Laura has worked
with Great lakes Theater Festival as an actor teacher and most recently as
Education Director of Dobama Theatre. Over the past few years she has been
seen in Angels in America, Look Back in Anger, The Rainmaker, and most
recently Moving Spaces‘ production of The Cherry Orchard. Laura has an MFA
from Case Western Reserve University and is currently enrolled in the
alternate route certification program for Drama Therapy with Dr. Penny Lewis
and Saphira Linden, both pioneers in the field.

BERNADETTE CLEMENS has a B.A. in Theatre from Barnard College of Columbia
University and a certificate from the British American Drama Academy (BADA.)
  Both programs provided her focus on the classical repertoire.  primarily
an actor, bernadette has also worked as a director, producer, acting
teacher, stage manager, and lighting designer in cleveland and in New York,
where her onstage and backstage credits Off-Broadway include The  Women’s
Theatre Project, the Vineyard Theater, Theatre for a New Audience,
Playwrights Horizons, Young Playwrights Inc., Musical Theatre Works, and
Gotham City Improv.     Bernadette developed the current Drama Curriculum
for Beaumont School and has coached monologues and scenes privately since
1998.

SARAH MORTON is an award-winning playwright and performer whose plays have
been produced locally at Dobama Theatre, Cleveland Public Theatre, and Red
Hen Productions. For four years, she has taught beginning and advanced
playwriting in The Cleveland Play House Young Playwrights Workshop, an
eight-week intensive for gifted high school writers. She also teaches
writing and acting to junior- high and high school students around the city.
This year she will be heading the Elyria Y Project, a writing/performance
project for women in transitional housing as well as teaching playwriting at
Cleveland State University.

    ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~
	About Moving Spaces...

We are an artist-driven group interested in generating collaborative
projects through which we can grow.  We seek to experiment with movement,
voice, music, and improvisation in order to expand our ways of “knowing” a
text.  Through our production work, we will create a shared world of the
play that fully utilizes the gifts of each member of the ensemble.  In
sharing this work with the community, we seek to reaffirm the universality
of classic plays while entertaining audiences with fresh interpretations of
texts.  By presenting professional quality productions with indigenous
Cleveland actors and designers, we hope to engage our community in work that
challenges notions of self and society at the same time as celebrating human
potential.  We are committed to the continued growth and vitality of
Cleveland’s theatre community.  With five theatre educators on staff, we
offer adults and students the opportunity to play, work, & create!