[NEohioPAL]Betsy Hogg heads to Broadway in "The Crucible"

FSternfeld at aol.com FSternfeld at aol.com
Tue Nov 13 22:45:02 PST 2001

--part1_131.482e665.29235032_boundary

Congratulations to Betsy Hogg !!

Betsy was just cast as Betty Parris in "The Crucible" on Broadway.  =20
Rehearsals start in January and it opens in March at the Virginia Theatre. =20=
=20
Liam Neeson and Laura Linney play John and Elizabeth Proctor.=20

Below are a bio of Betsy and an article about "The Crucible" from Playbill=20
Magazine............

Betsy Hogg has appeared locally as Rhoda in Bad Seed at Ensemble Theatre,=20
Brigitta in Cain Park=E2=80=99s The Sound of Music and Mary Tilford in The C=
hildren=E2=80=99
s Hour at Stagedoor Manor (NY),  Great Lakes Theater Festival=E2=80=99s Pete=
r Pan=20
(Wendy) and Gypsy (Baby June).  Since playing Young Kim in Harold Prince=E2=
=80=99s=20
Show Boat, Betsy has loved performing both musicals and straight plays at=20
many Northeast Ohio venues. Other favorite shows include Dobama=E2=80=99s Cr=
ossroads=20
Dancing (Maeve/YoungMaggie), Bodwin=E2=80=99s Macbeth (First Witch), Beck=
=E2=80=99s Winnie=20
the Pooh (Piglet), Porthouse=E2=80=99s Much Ado About Nothing (The Girl) and=
 Company=20
at TheCleveland Play House (Flower Girl). Betsy will be appearing soon in th=
e=20
title role in Annie at the Beck Center.

Yes, Virginia, There is a Crucible, w/ Neeson,=20
Linney and Murray Feb. 16
03-NOV-2001

Richard Eyre's revival of Arthur Miller's The Crucible will begin previews=20
Feb. 16 at the Virginia Theatre, with an opening set for March 7. As=20
previously reported, Laura Linney will play the prudish wife of Liam Neeson'=
s=20
John Proctor in the production, which will also feature the ubiquitous Brian=
=20
Murray (The Play About the Baby, the upcoming Hobson's Choice). Also=20
confirmed for the cast are Anne Pitoniak (currently in Dance of Death) and=20
John Benjamin Hickey (Love! Valour! Compassion!). Director Eyre will be=20
flying in to New York to complete casting, expected before the end of the=20
month. As reported in Theatrical Index and confirmed by the Richard Kornberg=
=20
office, designing The Crucible are Paul Gallo (lighting) and Tim Hatley (set=
s=20
and costumes). Actress Linney has been a common fixture on the New York stag=
e=20
since first attracting attention as Nina in a modernized downtown Seagull an=
d=20
playing an aggressive German journalist in Donald Margulies' Sight Unseen.=20
But her currency as an actress increased manyfold last year due to her=20
many-faceted, Oscar-nominated performance as a single mom dealing with a=20
wastrel brother in Kenneth Lonergan's film "You Can Count on Me." Linney's=20
most recent stage turn was as Yelena in the Roundabout Theatre Company's=20
Uncle Vanya on Broadway. She has also appeared on Broadway in Holiday and Th=
e=20
Seagull (as Nina).Over the past several years, Murray has done three-to-four=
=20
productions a season, including stints in Uncle Vanya, Entertaining Mr.=20
Sloan, Racing Demon, Travels With My Aunt (Drama Desk and Outer Critics=20
Circle Awards), A Small Family Business, the original Noises Off (Drama Desk=
=20
Award), Black Comedy, Da Sleuth, All in Good Time, and Peter Brook's Royal=20
Shakespeare Company production of King Lear. Director Eyre told Playbill=20
On-Line (July 30) rehearsals would begin Jan. 7 for the David=20
Richenthal-produced venture. Eyre, former head of the UK's Royal National=20
Theatre, has recently written a book and created a TV miniseries about 20th=20
century Western theatre. *News that David Richenthal, the producer who=20
brought Miller's Death of a Salesman and The Price to Broadway in the past=20
two years, was hoping to revive Miller's 1953 parable, The Crucible, for=20
Broadway, first broke last October. The drama will play a 15-week limited ru=
n=20
on Broadway. Neeson, last seen on Broadway in David Hare's Judas Kiss, will=20
play John Proctor. Richenthal has become a one-man Miller industry in the=20
past few years, backing Broadway revivals of Death of a Salesman (directed b=
y=20
Robert Falls) and The Price (directed by James Naughton). He is also behind=20=
a=20
projected revival of O'Neill's Long Day's Journey Into Night, which will bow=
=20
at Chicago's Goodman Theatre in February 2002, with Robert Falls directing=20
Brian Dennehy, and then move to Broadway. The Crucible, written in reaction=20
to the McCarthy witch hunts of the 1950s, tells of leaders in puritannical=20
Salem overreacting to a rash of phony mass hysteria in its young women. =E2=
=80=94 by <A HREF=3D"mailto:dlefkowitz at playbill.com">
David Lefkowitz</A>
and Robert Simonson

   =20

--part1_131.482e665.29235032_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D3><B>Congratulations to Bet=
sy Hogg !!<BR>
<BR>
Betsy was just cast as Betty Parris in "The Crucible" on Broadway. &nbs=
p; Rehearsals start in January and it opens in March at the Virginia Theatre=
.   Liam Neeson and Laura Linney play John and Elizabeth Proctor.=20=
<BR>
<BR>
Below are a bio of Betsy and an article about "The Crucible" from Playbill M=
agazine............<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D3=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"></B>Betsy Hogg has appeared=20=
locally as Rhoda in <I>Bad Seed</I> at Ensemble Theatre, Brigitta in Cain Pa=
rk=E2=80=99s <I>The Sound of Music</I> and Mary Tilford in <I>The Children=
=E2=80=99s Hour </I>at Stagedoor Manor (NY),  Great Lakes Theater Festi=
val=E2=80=99s <I>Peter Pan</I> (Wendy) and <I>Gypsy </I>(Baby June).  S=
ince playing Young Kim in Harold Prince=E2=80=99s <I>Show Boat</I>, Betsy ha=
s loved performing both musicals and straight plays at many Northeast Ohio v=
enues. Other favorite shows include Dobama=E2=80=99s <I>Crossroads Dancing <=
/I>(Maeve/YoungMaggie), Bodwin=E2=80=99s <I>Macbeth </I>(First Witch), Beck=
=E2=80=99s <I>Winnie the Pooh </I>(Piglet), Porthouse=E2=80=99s <I>Much Ado=20=
About Nothing </I>(The Girl) and <I>Company </I>at TheCleveland Play House<I=
> </I>(Flower Girl). Betsy will be appearing soon in the title role in Annie=
 at the Beck Center.</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLO=
R: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D3=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><B><BR>
<P ALIGN=3DCENTER></FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:=
 #ffffff" SIZE=3D5 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"></B><BR>
<BR>
<B>Yes, Virginia, There is a <I>Crucible</I>, w/ Neeson, <BR>
Linney and Murray Feb. 16<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D4=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">03-NOV-2001</FONT><FONT  COL=
OR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SANSSE=
RIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"></B><BR>
Richard Eyre's revival of Arthur Miller's <I>The Crucible</I> will begin pre=
views Feb. 16 at the Virginia Theatre, with an opening set for March 7. As p=
reviously reported, Laura Linney will play the prudish wife of Liam Neeson's=
 John Proctor in the production, which will also feature the ubiquitous Bria=
n Murray (<I>The Play About the Baby</I>, the upcoming <I>Hobson's Choice</I=
>). Also confirmed for the cast are Anne Pitoniak (currently in <I>Dance of=20=
Death</I>) and John Benjamin Hickey (<I>Love! Valour! Compassion!</I>). Dire=
ctor Eyre will be flying in to New York to complete casting, expected before=
 the end of the month. As reported in Theatrical Index and confirmed by the=20=
Richard Kornberg office, designing <I>The Crucible</I> are Paul Gallo (light=
ing) and Tim Hatley (sets and costumes). Actress Linney has been a common fi=
xture on the New York stage since first attracting attention as Nina in a mo=
dernized downtown <I>Seagull</I> and playing an aggressive German journalist=
 in Donald Margulies' <I>Sight Unseen</I>. But her currency as an actress in=
creased manyfold last year due to her many-faceted, Oscar-nominated performa=
nce as a single mom dealing with a wastrel brother in Kenneth Lonergan's fil=
m "You Can Count on Me." Linney's most recent stage turn was as Yelena in th=
e Roundabout Theatre Company's <I>Uncle Vanya</I> on Broadway. She has also=20=
appeared on Broadway in <I>Holiday</I> and <I>The Seagull</I> (as Nina).Over=
 the past several years, Murray has done three-to-four productions a season,=
 including stints in <I>Uncle Vanya, Entertaining Mr. Sloan, Racing Demon, T=
ravels With My Aunt</I> (Drama Desk and Outer Critics Circle Awards), <I>A S=
mall Family Business,</I> the original <I>Noises Off</I> (Drama Desk Award),=
 <I>Black Comedy, Da Sleuth, All in Good Time,</I> and Peter Brook's Royal S=
hakespeare Company production of <I>King Lear.</I> Director Eyre told Playbi=
ll On-Line (July 30) rehearsals would begin Jan. 7 for the David Richenthal-=
produced venture. Eyre, former head of the UK's Royal National Theatre, has=20=
recently written a book and created a TV miniseries about 20th century Weste=
rn theatre. *News that David Richenthal, the producer who brought Miller's <=
I>Death of a Salesman</I> and <I>The Price</I> to Broadway in the past two y=
ears, was hoping to revive Miller's 1953 parable, <I>The Crucible,</I> for B=
roadway, first broke last October. The drama will play a 15-week limited run=
 on Broadway. Neeson, last seen on Broadway in David Hare's <I>Judas Kiss</I=
>, will play John Proctor. Richenthal has become a one-man Miller industry i=
n the past few years, backing Broadway revivals of <I>Death of a Salesman</I=
> (directed by Robert Falls) and <I>The Price</I> (directed by James Naughto=
n). He is also behind a projected revival of O'Neill's <I>Long Day's Journey=
 Into Night</I>, which will bow at Chicago's Goodman Theatre in February 200=
2, with Robert Falls directing Brian Dennehy, and then move to Broadway. <I>=
The Crucible</I>, written in reaction to the McCarthy witch hunts of the 195=
0s, tells of leaders in puritannical Salem overreacting to a rash of phony m=
ass hysteria in its young women. =E2=80=94 by <A HREF=3D"mailto:dlefkowitz at p=
laybill.com">David Lefkowitz</A><BR>
and Robert Simonson<BR>
<BR>
    <BR>