[NEohioPAL]Review of North Canton Playhouse's "The Bad Seed"

Jeff Holland profbobo at neo.rr.com
Thu Feb 21 08:31:01 PST 2002

------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C1BAAF.37299640

------=_NextPart_001_003D_01C1BAAF.3732BE00

BlankReviewed by Mike and Ike
rdoughnuts at yahoo.com

Note:  The opinions expressed herein do not reflect those of Mr. =
Sternfeld, anyone on this list, or, in fact,  anyone even remotely =
important.

Transcribed from a conversation eavesdropped on in a Country Kitchen on =
West Market street in Akron Ohio sometime after midnight on Saturday, =
February 16th

MIKE:(English accent) Once again, my intellectually stunted friend, you =
have it wrong!

IKE:(Strong southern accent) Since when did you become such a expert in =
the-a-ter?  You only got into it about six months ago when you heard the =
soundtrack to Suessical!

M:  The play takes place in 1954--I don't know when the book was =
written.  I don't care--The basic themes are rooted in the 50's.  The =
character's are from the 50's.

I:  I flat out refuse to believe that anyone actually acted like that in =
the 50's,  and I'm older than you so I should know!

M:  Of course, they didn't, but that's the way they acted in every =
movie, tv show, and play produced in the 50's.

I:  I mean, my God, that Landlady!

M:  Monica Breedlove.  There's a name for you.

I:  Five minutes after her first entrance I wanted to hit her with =
pieces of the furniture!  Five minutes after that I don't think anyone =
would have stopped me.

M:  She is the standard stock sit com character, even today:  The wacky =
neighbor!

I:  I still wanted to kill her!

M:  The actress or the character?

I:  The character, course.  What d'ya think I am,  an idiot? (Pause) =
Don't even think it.

M:  Too late.

I:  Better yet, instead of me hitting her with heavy props,  I wanted to =
see the kid do it.  Come on,  she's The Bad Seed!  She beats some kid's =
skull in with a tap shoe.  She could have hit the landlady in the living =
room with the candlestick . . . repeatedly.  Who played her?

M:  Um, Ginger Dougan, I think.

I:  Remind me to send her a congratulatory note and a sympathy card.

(Chewing noises)

M:  So what did you think of the girl?

I:  She was cute.

M:  That she was.

I:  Mighty, mighty cute!

M:  Didn't buy her as evil at all, did you?

I:  I was too busy going into insulin shock over how cute she was.

M:  She tries hard.

I:  And her scenes with that weirdo handyman Leroy are actually pretty =
good.  By the way, I thought he was the best character in the show and I =
was mad when she torched him.

M:  Of course, you were.  You thought you'd found a brother.

I:(Pause) I hate you.

M:  Mark Stoffer did a very good job as the demented Leroy, who seems to =
have a slightly unsavory interest in the little girl.

I:  God, you sound like a critic.

M: Shut up.

(Chewing noises)

M:  Well, I liked the show.  I thought they did a very good job of =
bringing a fake 50's thriller back to fake 50's life.

I:  I hate the fake 50's.  (Pause)  By the way, I taped That 80's Show =
the other night.

M:  Oh, good.  I forgot.

------=_NextPart_001_003D_01C1BAAF.3732BE00

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Blank</TITLE>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type><BASE=20
href=3D"file://C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft =
Shared\Stationery\">
<STYLE>BODY {
	COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; =
MARGIN-LEFT: 25px; MARGIN-TOP: 25px
}
P.msoNormal {
	COLOR: #ffffcc; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica, "Times New Roman"; FONT-SIZE: =
10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; MARGIN-TOP: 0px
}
LI.msoNormal {
	COLOR: #ffffcc; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica, "Times New Roman"; FONT-SIZE: =
10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; MARGIN-TOP: 0px
}
</STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2919.6307" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY background=3Dcid:003b01c1bad9$1fe73440$a9b75d18 at neo.rr.com =
bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Reviewed by Mike and Ike</DIV>
<DIV><A =
href=3D"mailto:rdoughnuts at yahoo.com">rdoughnuts at yahoo.com</A></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Note:  The opinions expressed herein do not reflect those of =
Mr.=20
Sternfeld, anyone on this list, or, in fact,  anyone even remotely=20
important.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Transcribed from a conversation eavesdropped on in a Country =
Kitchen on=20
West Market street in Akron Ohio sometime after midnight on =
Saturday,=20
February 16th</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>MIKE:(English accent) Once again, my intellectually stunted friend, =
you=20
have it wrong!</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>IKE:(Strong southern accent) Since when did you become such a =
expert in=20
the-a-ter?  You only got into it about six months ago when you =
heard the=20
soundtrack to Suessical!</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  The play takes place in 1954--I don't know when the book =
was=20
written.  I don't care--The basic themes are rooted in the =
50's.  The=20
character's are from the 50's.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  I flat out refuse to believe that anyone actually acted =
like that=20
in the 50's,  and I'm older than you so I should know!</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Of course, they didn't, but that's the way they acted in =
every=20
movie, tv show, and play produced in the 50's.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  I mean, my God, that Landlady!</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Monica Breedlove.  There's a name for you.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Five minutes after her first entrance I wanted to hit her =
with=20
pieces of the furniture!  Five minutes after that I don't think =
anyone=20
would have stopped me.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  She is the standard stock sit com character, even =
today:  The=20
wacky neighbor!</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  I still wanted to kill her!</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  The actress or the character?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  The character, course.  What d'ya think I am,  =
an idiot?=20
(Pause) Don't even think it.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Too late.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Better yet, instead of me hitting her with heavy =
props,  I=20
wanted to see the kid do it.  Come on,  she's The Bad =
Seed!  She=20
beats some kid's skull in with a tap shoe.  She could have hit the =
landlady=20
in the living room with the candlestick . . . repeatedly.  Who =
played=20
her?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Um, Ginger Dougan, I think.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Remind me to send her a congratulatory note and a sympathy =

card.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>(Chewing noises)</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  So what did you think of the girl?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  She was cute.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  That she was.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Mighty, mighty cute!</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Didn't buy her as evil at all, did you?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  I was too busy going into insulin shock over how cute she=20
was.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  She tries hard.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  And her scenes with that weirdo handyman Leroy are =
actually pretty=20
good.  By the way, I thought he was the best character in the show =
and I=20
was mad when she torched him.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Of course, you were.  You thought you'd found a=20
brother.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:(Pause) I hate you.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Mark Stoffer did a very good job as the demented Leroy, =
who seems=20
to have a slightly unsavory interest in the little girl.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  God, you sound like a critic.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M: Shut up.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>(Chewing noises)</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Well, I liked the show.  I thought they did a very =
good job=20
of bringing a fake 50's thriller back to fake 50's life.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  I hate the fake 50's.  (Pause)  By the way, I =
taped That=20
80's Show the other night.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Oh, good.  I forgot.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<P> </P></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_003D_01C1BAAF.3732BE00--

------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C1BAAF.37299640

R0lGODlhLQAtAID/AP////f39ywAAAAALQAtAEACcAxup8vtvxKQsFon6d02898pGkgiYoCm6sq2
7iqWcmzOsmeXeA7uPJd5CYdD2g9oPF58ygqz+XhCG9JpJGmlYrPXGlfr/Yo/VW45e7amp2tou/lW
xo/zX513z+Vt+1n/tiX2pxP4NUhy2FM4xtjIUQAAOw==

------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C1BAAF.37299640--