[NEohioPAL]CTC Workshop with David Herskovits

MargLynch at aol.com MargLynch at aol.com
Tue Mar 12 14:47:24 PST 2002

--part1_d0.23b142a4.29bf9847_boundary

Who is David Herskovits and why is he giving a workshop for Cleveland Theater
Collective members?

The New York Times calls his Target Margin company "hyper hip."

Seth Gordon, the Play House's manager of new play development, says, "David
Herskovits is one of the most exciting and innovative directors working in
New York right now. Everything he does has a take on classic material that
gives it a fresh and invigorating look and feel. Every time I see one of his
productions, I leave the theatre understanding the play in a new and more
interesting way."

David Herskovits is currently in Cleveland as guest director for Cleveland
Public Theatre's production of Eugene O'Neill's The Hairy Ape.  He's agreed
to open up  his directing process to Cleveland area theater artists in a
workshop sponsored by the Cleveland Theater Collective.

Workshop:  Director's Notebook:  O'Neill's The Hairy Ape

Who:     Presented by David Herskovits, Artistic Director, Target Margin, and
Guest                 Director, Cleveland Public Theatre
Where:  At Cleveland Public Theatre, 6415 Detroit Avenue
Fee:    $25, but you must be a current CTC Member ($20) to attend
Reserve a Space: Call Margaret Lynch (216-941-5727) or e-mail at
ace:lynch at ctcollective.org to reserve a space by Monday, March 18, at noon.
Pay at the door or mail check in advance.  See registration form, below.

Dates and Format:

Three Sessions:
1) Monday, March 18, 6-8 pm: Participate in Workshop Presentation and
Discussion.
2) Tuesday or Wednesday, March 19 or 20,8 pm: Attend either Dress Rehearsal
of The Hairy Ape, and listen to notes afterwards.
3) Friday, March 22, lunch or other time to be agreed upon by participants:
Reflect on the production process with David Herskovits over coffee.

David Herskovits is one of the most exciting directors working in New York
today.  Artistic Director of Target Margin, an ensemble he founded in 1991,
Herskovits has an abiding commitment to staging classic dramatic texts.  But
as he told an interviewer in October 2001, "Our work is all about finding an
unexpected detour that brings you back home.  We look for twists and turns,
for disruptions and shifts in tone, for eccentric ways to frame the stage
event, because we believe that these are the gestures that make artistry most
potent."  Familiarize or re-familiarize yourself with The Hairy Ape and join
Herskovits as he opens up his process for discussion about bringing a classic
to life.  For directors, designers, actors, and all interested parties.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----  ----- ----- ----- ----- ---
WORKSHOP REGISTRATION

NAME;              _______________________________________________________

ADDRESS;        _______________________________________________________

PHONE:            _______________________________________________________

E-MAIL:             _______________________________________________________

I would like to register for the following workshop: Enclosed:

_____    David Herskovits, Staging a Classic
            March 18, March 19 or 20 and March 22        Fee:      $25
________

_____    I am not yet a 2002 CTC member; I enclose my 2002 membership

Fee:       $20 ________

                                                           TOTAL ENCLOSED:
    ________

PRINT REGISTRATION FORM AND MAIL CHECK PAYABLE TO:

                  CLEVELAND THEATER COLLECTIVE
                  17115 ERNADALE AVENUE
                  CLEVELAND, OHIO 44111

--part1_d0.23b142a4.29bf9847_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Who is David Herskovits and why is he giving a workshop for Cleveland Theater Collective members?
<BR>
<BR>The <I>New York Times</I> calls his Target Margin company "hyper hip."
<BR>
<BR>Seth Gordon, the Play House's manager of new play development, says, "David Herskovits is one of the most exciting and innovative directors working in New York right now. Everything he does has a take on classic material that gives it a fresh and invigorating look and feel. Every time I see one of his productions, I leave the theatre understanding the play in a new and more interesting way."
<BR>
<BR>David Herskovits is currently in Cleveland as guest director for Cleveland Public Theatre's production of Eugene O'Neill's <I>The Hairy Ape</I>.  He's agreed to open up  his directing process to Cleveland area theater artists in a workshop sponsored by the Cleveland Theater Collective.
<BR>
<BR><B><U>Workshop:  Director's Notebook:  O'Neill's The Hairy Ape
<BR></B></U>
<BR><B>Who: </B>    Presented by David Herskovits, Artistic Director, Target Margin, and Guest                 Director, Cleveland Public Theatre
<BR><B>Where: </B> At Cleveland Public Theatre, 6415 Detroit Avenue
<BR><B>Fee:</B>    $25, but you must be a current CTC Member ($20) to attend
<BR><B>Reserve a Space: </B>Call Margaret Lynch (216-941-5727) or e-mail at ace:lynch at ctcollective.org to reserve a space by Monday, March 18, at noon.  Pay at the door or mail check in advance.  See registration form, below.
<BR>
<BR><B>Dates and Format:</B>
<BR>
<BR>Three Sessions:
<BR>1) Monday, March 18, 6-8 pm: Participate in Workshop Presentation and   Discussion.
<BR>2) Tuesday or Wednesday, March 19 or 20,8 pm: Attend either Dress Rehearsal of The Hairy Ape, and listen to notes afterwards.
<BR>3) Friday, March 22, lunch or other time to be agreed upon by participants: Reflect on the production process with David Herskovits over coffee.
<BR>
<BR>David Herskovits is one of the most exciting directors working in New York today.  Artistic Director of Target Margin, an ensemble he founded in 1991, Herskovits has an abiding commitment to staging classic dramatic texts.  But as he told an interviewer in October 2001, "Our work is all about finding an unexpected detour that brings you back home.  We look for twists and turns, for disruptions and shifts in tone, for eccentric ways to frame the stage event, because we believe that these are the gestures that make artistry most potent."  Familiarize or re-familiarize yourself with The Hairy Ape and join Herskovits as he opens up his process for discussion about bringing a classic to life.  For directors, designers, actors, and all interested parties.
<BR>
<BR>----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----  ----- ----- ----- ----- ---
<BR><B>WORKSHOP REGISTRATION</B>
<BR>
<BR>NAME;              _______________________________________________________
<BR>
<BR>ADDRESS;        _______________________________________________________
<BR>
<BR>                        _______________________________________________________
<BR>
<BR>PHONE:            _______________________________________________________
<BR>
<BR>E-MAIL:             _______________________________________________________
<BR>
<BR>I would like to register for the following workshop: Enclosed:
<BR>
<BR>_____    David Herskovits, Staging a Classic
<BR>            March 18, March 19 or 20 and March 22        Fee:      $25 ________
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>_____    I am not yet a 2002 CTC member; I enclose my 2002 membership
<BR>                                                                             Fee:       $20 ________
<BR>
<BR>                                                           TOTAL ENCLOSED:        ________
<BR>
<BR>PRINT REGISTRATION FORM AND MAIL CHECK PAYABLE TO:
<BR>
<BR>                  CLEVELAND THEATER COLLECTIVE
<BR>                  17115 ERNADALE AVENUE
<BR>                  CLEVELAND, OHIO 44111</FONT></HTML>

--part1_d0.23b142a4.29bf9847_boundary--