[NEohioPAL]Review of Tree City Players "Merry Wives of Windsor"

Jeff Holland profbobo at neo.rr.com
Wed Mar 20 13:48:49 PST 2002

------=_NextPart_000_007F_01C1CF37.24F56F20

------=_NextPart_001_0080_01C1CF37.24F56F20

Blankby Mike and Ike
rdoughnuts at yahoo.com

NOTE:  The opinions expressed by Mike and Ike aren't even theirs.

The following conversation was illegally taped in a strip club somewhere =
in Akron at 12:42 am on Sunday March 17th, 2002.

IKE:(Southern accent) Why was there a rug on the wall?

MIKE:(English accent) It was a tapestry.

I:  It was a rug.

M:  It was supposed to be a tapestry.

I:  I thought we were sitting on the ceiling and they were doing the =
show on the wall.  It messed with my head.

M:  Twinkies mess with your head.  (Pause) Recognize the rug?

I:  It was on the floor (Go fig) in It's A Scream.

M:  That was a good show.  Would have been great with a better director.

I:  It's also a Shakespearean comedy, so there's another strike against =
it.

M:  What have you got against Shakespeare?

I:  Too much metaphor, way too much cross dressing and have you ever =
heard a bunch of hillbilly high schoolers attempt to read "Taming of the =
Shrew?"  It ain't pretty.  Gimmie a dollar.

(Rustle of paper)

M:  But even for a Shakespeare comedy this one is pretty strange.  First =
off, it's the only one ever specifically requested, I think.

I:  Somebody asked him to write something? =20

M:  Plus, if you look at it,  all of the characters are pretty much =
completely loopy in one form or another.  It's like Shakespeare said, =
"Okay, I'm going to create the most insane characters I can, put them =
all in the same town, and see what happens."

I:  Except for Anne Page and Fenton, our romantic leads.  Eech.

M:  Well, that's a running theme in Shakespeare comedies:  If you're =
destined for love you must have the personality of Styrofoam popcorn.  =
It's not the actor's fault, rarely is in this case.  It's hard playing =
in Bradyland.

I:  I do have to say, that even though I had no idea what the heaping =
helping o' hell he was saying half the time, the guy who played Falstaff =
almost made me glad I even showed up.

I:  His name's Jim McCormack and he was quite good.

M:  But why was he the only guy dressed like a ren fair reject?  =
Everbody else had more or less normal clothes on.  Why was he Han Solo?

I:  Tell you the truth, I'm not sure.  Take your hands off of those.

M:  Hey, I paid for it.  These two drinks are mine.  Gimmie another =
dollar.

I:  No.

M:  I don't think they're gonna like me using dimes.

(Pause.  Rustle of Paper)

I:  Actually, I can't lie (Well, I can,  but I don't see the point) all =
the acting in the show was quite good.

M:  Yes, it was.  Unfortunately, and this is the biggest flaw with the =
entire production, no one goes far enough.  Like I said earlier, this is =
really Shakespeare's strangest show.  It needs to be insane from the get =
go.  Don't get me wrong.  It has it's moments.

I:  The pen in Rugby's back.

M:  Rugby's take to the audience at the end.  All the homoeroticism in =
the show actually.  That is the one thing taken farther than I've seen =
before, and it was wonderful.  If more chances like that had been taken, =
 it would have made a really funny play a hysterical play.

I:  Even I admit, some of the oddball characters were--well--oddballs.

M:  Well put.

I:  The old lady

M:  Mistress Quickly, who actually isn't.

I:  A lady?

M:  Old!

I:  Oh!  Well,  I kinda figured that out.  I'm just saying she was kinda =
freaky in a Monica Breedlove sort of way.

M:  So you're starting to like the annoying characters now, eh?

I:  I still work with you.  Gimmie anoth--

M:  No.  My turn.

(Pause)

I:  Hey, she didn't bounce in my face?

M:  Wallow in my manliness.

I:  I think I'm gonna throw up.  I also really liked the dippy jealous =
guy.

M:  Oh, yes.  Master Ford, who constantly thinks his usually much more =
attractive wife is adulterous.

I:  He was a little nutburger.

M:  True.  And Alex Nine does a wonderful job showing this man's =
psychological collapse.

I:  No, when Nine really rocks is when he's playing Brook, Ford in =
disguise.  Okay, if you can get over the fact that he fools Falstaff =
with a jacket and sunglasses, which he even takes off, the character =
Ford creates for Brook is quite funny.  Kinda reminded me of Meaning of =
Life when all the Python guys were doing American accents.

M:  And Alex is an American.

I:  So you think it would be harder for him to pull off a crappy =
American accent, but he really pulls it off.  I also want to mention =
both the merry wives, Shannan Leigh and Mary J. Reichert, just cause =
they're hot. =20

M:  There's a shocker.

I:  Only real bad thing I can say about the show,  apart from the fact =
that it was a play,  and that it was Shakespeare, is that the large =
silver tray on Falstaff's back protecting him when he's getting beaten =
by Ford was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too obvious.

M:  If those are your only criticisms I am impressed.  I think it was a =
good show, but there was an even better one there just under the =
surface. =20

I:  Do me a favor.  Next time, pick a tragedy.  I can deal with =
Shakespeare when half the cast is dead by the end.

M:  Excellent.  I got tickets next week for the all mime version of =
Hamlet.

I:(Pause) I hate you.

------=_NextPart_001_0080_01C1CF37.24F56F20

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Blank</TITLE>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type><BASE=20
href=3D"file://C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft =
Shared\Stationery\">
<STYLE>BODY {
	COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; =
MARGIN-LEFT: 25px; MARGIN-TOP: 25px
}
P.msoNormal {
	COLOR: #ffffcc; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica, "Times New Roman"; FONT-SIZE: =
10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; MARGIN-TOP: 0px
}
LI.msoNormal {
	COLOR: #ffffcc; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica, "Times New Roman"; FONT-SIZE: =
10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; MARGIN-TOP: 0px
}
</STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2919.6307" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY background=3Dcid:007e01c1cf61$0d8853a0$a9b75d18 at neo.rr.com =
bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>by Mike and Ike</DIV>
<DIV><A =
href=3D"mailto:rdoughnuts at yahoo.com">rdoughnuts at yahoo.com</A></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>NOTE:  The opinions expressed by Mike and Ike aren't even=20
theirs.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>The following conversation was illegally taped in a strip club =
somewhere in=20
Akron at 12:42 am on Sunday March 17th, 2002.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>IKE:(Southern accent) Why was there a rug on the wall?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>MIKE:(English accent) It was a tapestry.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  It was a rug.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  It was supposed to be a tapestry.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  I thought we were sitting on the ceiling and they were =
doing the=20
show on the wall.  It messed with my head.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Twinkies mess with your head.  (Pause) Recognize the=20
rug?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  It was on the floor (Go fig) in It's A Scream.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  That was a good show.  Would have been great with a =
better=20
director.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  It's also a Shakespearean comedy, so there's another =
strike=20
against it.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  What have you got against Shakespeare?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Too much metaphor, way too much cross dressing and have =
you ever=20
heard a bunch of hillbilly high schoolers attempt to read "Taming of the =

Shrew?"  It ain't pretty.  Gimmie a dollar.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>(Rustle of paper)</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  But even for a Shakespeare comedy this one is pretty=20
strange.  First off, it's the only one ever specifically requested, =
I=20
think.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Somebody asked him to write something?  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Plus, if you look at it,  all of the characters are =
pretty=20
much completely loopy in one form or another.  It's like =
Shakespeare said,=20
"Okay, I'm going to create the most insane characters I can, put them =
all in the=20
same town, and see what happens."</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Except for Anne Page and Fenton, our romantic leads.  =

Eech.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Well, that's a running theme in Shakespeare =
comedies:  If=20
you're destined for love you must have the personality of Styrofoam=20
popcorn.  It's not the actor's fault, rarely is in this case.  =
It's=20
hard playing in Bradyland.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  I do have to say, that even though I had no idea what the =
heaping=20
helping o' hell he was saying half the time, the guy who played Falstaff =
almost=20
made me glad I even showed up.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  His name's Jim McCormack and he was quite good.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  But why was he the only guy dressed like a ren fair =
reject? =20
Everbody else had more or less normal clothes on.  Why was he Han=20
Solo?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Tell you the truth, I'm not sure.  Take your hands =
off of=20
those.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Hey, I paid for it.  These two drinks are mine.  =
Gimmie=20
another dollar.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  No.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  I don't think they're gonna like me using dimes.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>(Pause.  Rustle of Paper)</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Actually, I can't lie (Well, I can,  but I don't see =
the=20
point) all the acting in the show was quite good.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Yes, it was.  Unfortunately, and this is the biggest =
flaw=20
with the entire production, no one goes far enough.  Like I said =
earlier,=20
this is really Shakespeare's strangest show.  It needs to be insane =
from=20
the get go.  Don't get me wrong.  It has it's moments.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  The pen in Rugby's back.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Rugby's take to the audience at the end.  All the=20
homoeroticism in the show actually.  That is the one thing taken =
farther=20
than I've seen before, and it was wonderful.  If more chances like =
that had=20
been taken,  it would have made a really funny play a hysterical=20
play.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Even I admit, some of the oddball characters=20
were--well--oddballs.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Well put.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  The old lady</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Mistress Quickly, who actually isn't.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  A lady?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Old!</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Oh!  Well,  I kinda figured that out.  I'm =
just=20
saying she was kinda freaky in a Monica Breedlove sort of way.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  So you're starting to like the annoying characters now, =
eh?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  I still work with you.  Gimmie anoth--</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  No.  My turn.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>(Pause)</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Hey, she didn't bounce in my face?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Wallow in my manliness.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  I think I'm gonna throw up.  I also really liked the =
dippy=20
jealous guy.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Oh, yes.  Master Ford, who constantly thinks his =
usually much=20
more attractive wife is adulterous.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  He was a little nutburger.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  True.  And Alex Nine does a wonderful job showing =
this man's=20
psychological collapse.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  No, when Nine really rocks is when he's playing Brook, =
Ford in=20
disguise.  Okay, if you can get over the fact that he fools =
Falstaff with a=20
jacket and sunglasses, which he even takes off, the character Ford =
creates for=20
Brook is quite funny.  Kinda reminded me of Meaning of Life when =
all the=20
Python guys were doing American accents.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  And Alex is an American.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  So you think it would be harder for him to pull off a =
crappy=20
American accent, but he really pulls it off.  I also want to =
mention both=20
the merry wives, Shannan Leigh and Mary J. Reichert, just cause they're=20
hot.  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  There's a shocker.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Only real bad thing I can say about the show,  apart =
from the=20
fact that it was a play,  and that it was Shakespeare, is that the =
large=20
silver tray on Falstaff's back protecting him when he's getting beaten =
by Ford=20
was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too obvious.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  If those are your only criticisms I am impressed.  I =
think it=20
was a good show, but there was an even better one there just under the=20
surface.  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Do me a favor.  Next time, pick a tragedy.  I =
can deal=20
with Shakespeare when half the cast is dead by the end.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Excellent.  I got tickets next week for the all mime =
version=20
of Hamlet.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:(Pause) I hate you.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<P> </P></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0080_01C1CF37.24F56F20--

------=_NextPart_000_007F_01C1CF37.24F56F20

R0lGODlhLQAtAID/AP////f39ywAAAAALQAtAEACcAxup8vtvxKQsFon6d02898pGkgiYoCm6sq2
7iqWcmzOsmeXeA7uPJd5CYdD2g9oPF58ygqz+XhCG9JpJGmlYrPXGlfr/Yo/VW45e7amp2tou/lW
xo/zX513z+Vt+1n/tiX2pxP4NUhy2FM4xtjIUQAAOw==

------=_NextPart_000_007F_01C1CF37.24F56F20--