[NEohioPAL]Advice to Actors from a Local Producer

Alexcine at aol.com Alexcine at aol.com
Wed Mar 20 13:49:00 PST 2002

--part1_151.ab25ec7.29c8c09d_boundary

Being a local producer, some actors asked me advice on what actors should
expect from producers. So, I came up with some "Rules of the Game" to help
them along.

1. While it is true you will have to pay some money for your career, you
should be wary of so-called agencies that are asking for money every time you
turn around.  Agencies cannot charge fees to find you work (they are supposed
to field offers).  Franchised agents can only get 10%.
2. Never sign a contract without getting advice.  There are standard
contracts (deal memos).
3. Always ask for credits from the producer and take the time to check their
background.
4. If the producer is new to the game, ask if they are paying or if it is a
volunteer production. We have all did free work for the experience.
5. Ask do they have money for the production. If they are working on getting
the funds together, you should know that too.
6. Ask for the script or some written material about the production.
7. Ask for the timeline of the production. Rehearsal times. Location of
shoots.
8. Don't get so star-struck, you forget this is a business. You should never,
never pay money to audition. Do your homework. Research the business. Read.
Study.
9. Last, but not least, you should never, never pay money to audition.

I'm sure other producers have good advice for actors as well. I thought this
might help some new people to the Game.
Alex Michaels

--part1_151.ab25ec7.29c8c09d_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Times New Roman" LANG="0">Being a local producer, some actors asked me advice on what actors should expect from producers. So, I came up with some "Rules of the Game" to help them along.  <BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Times New Roman" LANG="0">1. While it is true you will have to pay some money for your career, you should be wary of so-called agencies that are asking for money every time you turn around.  Agencies cannot charge fees to find you work (they are supposed to field offers).  Franchised agents can only get 10%.<BR>
2. Never sign a contract without getting advice.  There are standard contracts (deal memos).  <BR>
3. Always ask for credits from the producer and take the time to check their background.<BR>
4. If the producer is new to the game, ask if they are paying or if it is a volunteer production. We have all did free work for the experience. <BR>
5. Ask do they have money for the production. If they are working on getting the funds together, you should know that too.<BR>
6. Ask for the script or some written material about the production.<BR>
7. Ask for the timeline of the production. Rehearsal times. Location of shoots.<BR>
8. Don't get so star-struck, you forget this is a business. You should never, never pay money to audition. Do your homework. Research the business. Read. Study. <BR>
9. Last, but not least, you should never, never pay money to audition. <BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Times New Roman" LANG="0">I'm sure other producers have good advice for actors as well. I thought this might help some new people to the Game. <BR>
Alex Michaels<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_151.ab25ec7.29c8c09d_boundary--