[NEohioPAL]Personal review of 'Once on this Island' at Porthouse

AdMan7601 at aol.com AdMan7601 at aol.com
Sat Jun 15 22:12:02 PDT 2002

--part1_7d.28ce080b.2a3d2953_boundary

--part1_7d.28ce080b.2a3d2953_alt_boundary

I don't work for a newspaper or anything, but I wanted to let everyone know
what I thought of Porthouse's Once on this Island, which opened last night.
I think the show was absolutely amazing. The blend of the cast and the
orchestra was fantastic. Although I am easy to please when it comes to
watching a show, this one went far beyond my expectations for a show. The
setting is beautiful, and the lighting was great, and the sound was right on.
Porthouse, known for its preshow activities, talked with the Gods, and on a
cue from the stage manager, actually made it rain outside for about ten
minutes! For those of you who are familiar with the show, it was very
fitting, huh?!
Porthouse has also gotten a new sound board, so some of the microphone
problems of the past are gone. Victoria Bussert's directing is so imaginative
and Nancy Maier's musical direction was great. The cast sounds amazing!
Sierra Matthews, who plays little Ti Moune is an adorable child with great
talent. It would take forever to name everyone in the cast and praise them,
so I'll just pick a few of my favorites. Brian Johnson plays Tonton Julian,
and Angela Gillespie-Winborn plays Mama Euralie. The two have a great
connection together, and with both young and adult Ti Moune. Kristopher
Thompson-Bolden as Papa Ge was great, and did some amazing dance moves
throughout the show. Choreography by Eric van Baars was inventive and at
times joyous and well performed by the talented cast. Collen Longshaw has an
amazing voice, and has such control and power behind it. Lauren Marshall
plays Andrea and her dance sequence is mesmerizing. Thomasina E. Gross who
plays adult Ti Moune evoked such joy and sorrow from the audience. The rest
of the cast includes Derrick Cobey, Darrel Miller, Dominic Roberts and
Yolanda Christine Davis and there is not a weak link among them. This show
will take you on a journey and you don't want to miss it.
This cast is a family. They love the show, and you can tell it. They have a
passion for it, and so does the audience. This is evident in the curtain
call. The curtain call had not even started and the entire audiece was
standing and applauding. The applause outweighed the orchestra, that's how
loud it was. Go and see this show. It is definately worth it. Artistic
Director Terri Kent has scheduled a great season for theatre goers, so go and
enjoy Once on this Island. If the rest of the season is going to be like

--part1_7d.28ce080b.2a3d2953_alt_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>I don't work for a newspaper or anything, but I wanted to let everyone know what I thought of Porthouse's Once on this Island, which opened last night.
<BR>I think the show was absolutely amazing. The blend of the cast and the orchestra was fantastic. Although I am easy to please when it comes to watching a show, this one went far beyond my expectations for a show. The setting is beautiful, and the lighting was great, and the sound was right on. Porthouse, known for its preshow activities, talked with the Gods, and on a cue from the stage manager, actually made it rain outside for about ten minutes! For those of you who are familiar with the show, it was very fitting, huh?!
<BR>Porthouse has also gotten a new sound board, so some of the microphone problems of the past are gone. Victoria Bussert's directing is so imaginative and Nancy Maier's musical direction was great. The cast sounds amazing! Sierra Matthews, who plays little Ti Moune is an adorable child with great talent. It would take forever to name everyone in the cast and praise them, so I'll just pick a few of my favorites. Brian Johnson plays Tonton Julian, and Angela Gillespie-Winborn plays Mama Euralie. The two have a great connection together, and with both young and adult Ti Moune. Kristopher Thompson-Bolden as Papa Ge was great, and did some amazing dance moves throughout the show. Choreography by Eric van Baars was inventive and at times joyous and well performed by the talented cast. Collen Longshaw has an amazing voice, and has such control and power behind it. Lauren Marshall plays Andrea and her dance sequence is mesmerizing. Thomasina E. Gross who plays adult Ti Moune evoked such joy and sorrow from the audience. The rest of the cast includes Derrick Cobey, Darrel Miller, Dominic Roberts and Yolanda Christine Davis and there is not a weak link among them. This show will take you on a journey and you don't want to miss it.
<BR>This cast is a family. They love the show, and you can tell it. They have a passion for it, and so does the audience. This is evident in the curtain call. The curtain call had not even started and the entire audiece was standing and applauding. The applause outweighed the orchestra, that's how loud it was. Go and see this show. It is definately worth it. Artistic Director Terri Kent has scheduled a great season for theatre goers, so go and enjoy Once on this Island. If the rest of the season is going to be like this, expect great things this summer. Porthouse, Bravo!</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
<BR></FONT></HTML>

[...]

<BR>This cast is a family. They love the show, and you can tell it. They have a passion for it, and so does the audience. This is evident in the curtain call. The curtain call had not even started and the entire audiece was standing and applauding. The applause outweighed the orchestra, that's how loud it was. Go and see this show. It is definately worth it. Artistic Director Terri Kent has scheduled a great season for theatre goers, so go and enjoy Once on this Island. If the rest of the season is going to be like this, expect great things this summer. Porthouse, Bravo!</FONT></HTML>