[NEohioPAL]SCT's Godspell - Energetic, unique and fun to watch - Review comments

Becky Summers rsummers at kent.edu
Thu Jul 11 11:09:07 PDT 2002

--------------A550BB9B00553072C39295D5

Energetic, unique Godspell fun to watch - Sue Todd-Filler, The Gateway
Newspaper
(comments reprinted from the E-Section, 7-10-02)

I never thought I'd see Jesus performing magic tricks, playing pranks
with fake body parts or giving someone a "wedgie."  That, however, is
exactly what I saw at Streetsboro Community Theatre's opening night
production of Godspell, performed by members of the Summer Youth
Theatre.  And I loved every minute of it.

Godspell follows the events of Holy Week from Jesus' entrance into
Jerusalem up to and including the crucifixion, but the setting is
updated from the Middle East in Biblical times to a modern day,
inner-city playground.  Myriad pop culture references to movies and TV
shows like "The Princess Bride," "Saturday Night Live," "Star Wars" and
several recent game shows and commercials are scattered throughout the
production.

Ryan Benson (Jesus) said the topical gags are in keeping with
flexibility of the show. "The cool thing is, the script gives you the
opportunity to ad-lib," he said.

A variety of theatrical and musical styles also is represented, from the
opening dance of West Side Story, to a vaudevillian soft-shoe number by
Jesus and Judas, to a graceful balletic dance solo in the background of
a scene.

Godspell is completely double cast, said SCT managing director Tom
Wilschutz, giving more youngsters a chance to act in the show.  The
opening night show was performed by the Red Team, while the Blue Team
filled several rows of seats in the packed theater to cheer on their
friends as they took the stage.

Benson plays Jesus as a jovial, laid-back beatnik who often reminded me
of Shaggy from the "Scooby-Doo" cartoons.  He uses his disciples,
represented by members of two rival street gangs, to act out parables,
sentencing them to time "in the Jesus corner" when they get out of
hand.  Benson shines as the easygoing Messiah, but also convincingly
expresses his fear and sorrow in the difficult Garden of Gethsemane
scene and during the crucifixion.

Nate Gory ably filled the role of Judas following the brief appearance
as John the Baptist, in which he won over the audience by flicking them
a mischievous glance after anointing a crowd of unwilling gang members,
drawing the first of many laughs.  As Judas, Gory runs the gamut from
the antics of Jesus' gleeful accomplice to the sullen resentment of a
disillusioned disciple driven to betrayal to the regretfulness of a
repentant sinner.

Kristin Sarver, as the "One True Believer" has good stage presence,
drawing the audience's eye when she is the focus of the action and
blending into the crowd when necessary.  Her soprano was confident and
flexible,  but a small amount of feedback from the sound system when it
couldn't quite handle her high notes was slightly distracting.

The chorus is largely responsible for the fast-paced energy of the show,
delivering well-choreographed responses to the action with a coherency
not often seen in young groups.

Two unanticipated audience favorites were Eric Coulbourne, who glided
seamlessly between being part of the background and flamboyant,
unabashed scene-stealing with hilarious results, and Tamara Corbin,
whose throaty, uninhibited rendition of the jazzy "O' Bless the Lord My
Soul" brought the house down both during the production and after the
cast took its bows, when Corbin delivered a much-appreciated reprise of
the tune.

Wilschutz said theater officials chose to produce Godspell for two
reasons. "First, (the program) is old enough now that we're trying to
find shows we haven't done before, but in which we can cast lots of
kids," he said. The second reason, Wilschutz said, is the show fits
three prerequisites:  it is interesting for actors from ages 5 to 20, it
is a musical and it has name recognition that will help draw an
audience.  "Truthfully, there aren't a lot of shows left we haven't done
that meet those criteria," he said.  According to Wilschutz, the Youth
Theatre's pool of talent has grown considerably in recent years.  "There
are probably 40 different northeast Ohio communities represented in this
cast," he said.  "Nearly 140 young actors auditioned for approximately
80 openings.

Additional performances of Godspell are scheduled for July 12, 13, 14,
19, 20, 21, 25, 26 and 27.  Tickets are $7.00 for students, $8.00 for
senior citizens and $10.00 for adults.  Reservations can be made by
calling the theatre box office at 330-626-9427.

--------------A550BB9B00553072C39295D5

Energetic, unique <i>Godspell</i> fun to watch - Sue Todd-Filler, The Gateway
Newspaper
with fake body parts or giving someone a "wedgie."  That, however,
is exactly what I saw at Streetsboro Community Theatre's opening night
production of <i>Godspell</i>, performed by members of the Summer Youth