[NEohioPAL]FOOTLOOSE -'A tent full of talent' Star Beacon Review.

Drueart at aol.com Drueart at aol.com
Fri Jul 12 14:58:02 PDT 2002

--part1_138.11287cfb.2a606f14_boundary

 There's a tent full of talent with 'Footloose'
By ROGER SMITH
A REVIEW

ASHTABULA - Oh, my! What a tent full of talent is singing and dancing on the
Straw Hat Theatre stage in "Footloose," the second summer production on the
grounds of the Ashtabula Arts Center.
The story takes place in Beaumont, Texas, amid a town full of Bible thumping
"Bubbas" and one apparent city slicker, smart alec kid from Chicago. The
church involvement leads to choristers singing out their praises on a regular
basis. Good stuff to hear.
In a town where dancing is banned, teenagers look for something to do other
than church-going. But somewhere along the line, Mama Hewitt must have said
that laws can be changed. Therein lies the plot of the play - finding God's
intended joy in what we do.
I was particularly impressed ("overwhelmed" is a better word) by the voice of
Robert Godfrey. Godfrey, cast in the role of the Rev. Shaw Moore, delivered
what I consider to be the best song in the show, "I Confess."
       Godfrey often performs with the Cleveland Opera and has recorded 3
CDs. On hearing his vocal performance in a song about leading with love, one
is not surprised by his other accomplishments.
In the best impressions column I also would like to include the names of
Melinda Smith and Adam Kapis. Smith, as the title singer for Irene & her
Country Kickers, was so Tammy Wynette, Reba McIntyre and Loretta Lynn rolled
into one that listeners could think they were at the Opry in Nashville or
waiting for a postcard from the edge. Kapis, in the role of the town's
biggest "Bubba," was absolutely delightful in his character portrayal and
even more applause demanding with his rendition of "Mama Says," probably the
overall vocal hit of the show.

       The Straw Hat Theatre advertises its auditions over a large geographic
area, this summer three students from the greater Cleveland snagged leading
roles in this production. Wes Wilson as Ren, the city slicker from the Windy
City, had the looks, the attitude, the energy and the moves to carry off this
role. He was a crowd pleaser.
       Meryl Murman, preacher's daughter Ariel, was cast opposite Wilson -
sort of Romeo and Juliet with a twang and a happy ending. The two
complemented each other's role to perfection, with Murman mirroring the
enthusiasm, energy and talent of Wilson.

       Another Murman Clevelander appeared in this production of "Footloose."
Eryn Murman played the role of Rusty with every part of her being. This young
lady, too, embodies a multitude of talents and they were always evident on
stage.

       Jim Hunter as Chuck Cranston, the boy mothers warn their daughters
about, was evil from the beginning and held that pose throughout the entire
evening. Martha Sorohan as the wife of the minister, and Anne Anne Kelly as
Ren's mother, deserve mentions for their performances in their respective
roles. Each was believable and steady as a woman singing about "Learning to
be Silent.".

       The entire cast of this show was right on the money every moment,
whether singing or executing the excellent choreography or just being a part
of the crowd.
The orchestra, under the direction of youthful Alex Lowe, was an absolute
integral part of the show - and it performed well. The lighting for this
production was realistic; that is to say, evening looked like evening rather
than looking like someone dimmed the lights. Special effect lighting for some
dance numbers enhanced, enhanced and enhanced.
"Footloose" runs weekends through July. It's a show well worth seeing. Call
the box office at 440-964-3396 for tickets.

--part1_138.11287cfb.2a606f14_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"> </FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=5 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">There's a tent full of talent with </FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=5 FAMILY="SCRIPT" FACE="Lucida Handwriting" LANG="0">'Footloose'</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<B>By ROGER SMITH</B><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><B><I>A REVIEW
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></B></I><BR>
[...]
<BR>
[...]
"Footloose" runs weekends through July. It's a show well worth seeing. Call the box office at 440-964-3396 for tickets. <BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_138.11287cfb.2a606f14_boundary--