[NEohioPAL]"Youth Captivating in 'Godspell' production

AlmostFamous223 at aol.com AlmostFamous223 at aol.com
Fri Jul 12 14:58:14 PDT 2002

--part1_8e.2acec94a.2a60834c_boundary

YOUTH CAPTIVATING IN 'GODSPELL' PRODUCTION
by Deborah Guziak

         Charades.  The Blues Brothers.  A cell phone commercial.  Two rival
gangs - the Sharks and Jets.  Believe it or not, these are just a few of the
unique features of Streetsboro Community Theater's production of "Godspell".

         Set on a litter-strewn playground, Jesus comes to the playground
where two gangs are fighting amongst themselves.  Amid the jeers, Jesus tells
many stories and parables of the Bible to the gangs, who eventually settle
down and help Jesus dramatize the stories he is telling with humor, such as
in the story of the Good Samaritan, who flashers her Master Card at the inn.
         According tot he program, the show is no presented as a religious
statement, or as a proponent for religion, or for on religion, or even as a
testimonial of belief in a supreme being, but as a story of entertainment
with a powerful message for all people, of all beliefs.
         "We offer you a story of hope the we really do have the power to
change the world - and it need not be, nor can it begin, on a world-wide
scale.  We only need to take care of our little corner.  The rest will
follow," an excerpt from the program stated.
         This production is the theater's youth show, which is entirely
double cast.  But don't let the idea of a youth performance deter you from
seeing this wonderful show.  An older-aged group couldn't have pulled off a
show of this caliber.
         I've seen many productions at various theaters, including
professional theaters, in Northeast Ohio, but I am truly amazed at how great
Streetsboro Community Theater productions are.  Not only is this production
funny with well-known songs, such as "Day by Day", "Save the People", "By My
Side", "Turn Back, O Man", and "Prepare Ye", among numerous others, but I am
amazed at the synchronization of the dancers, the high-quality singing, the
musicianship of the band, and the ability of the cast and creativity of the
show.
         The performers are at ease with their parts and not "stiff", like so
many community theaters can be.  The movements of SCT's performers were
natural.  They did things people do in everyday life, such as rub their head
with their fingers when someone was talking to them, move around and stretch
their legs when they sit and use their hands to make a point, among many
other movements that people do normally.
         Directors Lyle M. Hennicke and Rebecca Summers and assistant
directors Oliver Corrigan, Sally Morris,Lucinda Springston, and Toby D'Amore
deserve a lot of credit for their achievements in putting together a
class-act performance, as well as handling two casts with a total of 87
performers, about 40 of who are under the age of 12.  The cast did what they
were supposed to do and were weel-behaved.  There was no squirming, talking
amongst themselves or anything else that would have distracted from the show.
         The show will run at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Saturday, July 19, 20, 25,
26, and 27 and at 4 p.m. on Sunday and July 21.  The theatre is located in
the Streetsboro Municipal Building, 9184 S. R. 43.  Tickets are $7 for
students, $8 for senior citizens and $10 for adults.  For reservations, call
(330) 626-9427.

--part1_8e.2acec94a.2a60834c_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><P ALIGN=CENTER><FONT  COLOR="#004080" SIZE=5 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Book Antiqua" LANG="0"><B><U>YOUTH CAPTIVATING IN 'GODSPELL' PRODUCTION<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#004080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Book Antiqua" LANG="0"></B></U>by Deborah Guziak<BR>
<BR>
<P ALIGN=LEFT></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#004080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Book Antiqua" LANG="0"><B>         Charades.  The Blues Brothers.  A cell phone commercial.  Two rival gangs - the Sharks and Jets.  Believe it or not, these are just a few of the unique features of Streetsboro Community Theater's production of "Godspell".  <BR>
         Set on a litter-strewn playground, Jesus comes to the playground where two gangs are fighting amongst themselves.  Amid the jeers, Jesus tells many stories and parables of the Bible to the gangs, who eventually settle down and help Jesus dramatize the stories he is telling with humor, such as in the story of the Good Samaritan, who flashers her Master Card at the inn.<BR>
         According tot he program, the show is no presented as a religious statement, or as a proponent for religion, or for on religion, or even as a testimonial of belief in a supreme being, but as a story of entertainment with a powerful message for all people, of all beliefs.<BR>
         "We offer you a story of hope the we really do have the power to change the world - and it need not be, nor can it begin, on a world-wide scale.  We only need to take care of our little corner.  The rest will follow," an excerpt from the program stated.<BR>
         This production is the theater's youth show, which is entirely double cast.  But don't let the idea of a youth performance deter you from seeing this wonderful show.  An older-aged group couldn't have pulled off a show of this caliber.<BR>
         I've seen many productions at various theaters, including professional theaters, in Northeast Ohio, but I am truly amazed at how great Streetsboro Community Theater productions are.  Not only is this production funny with well-known songs, such as "Day by Day", "Save the People", "By My Side", "Turn Back, O Man", and "Prepare Ye", among numerous others, but I am amazed at the synchronization of the dancers, the high-quality singing, the musicianship of the band, and the ability of the cast and creativity of the show.      <BR>
         The performers are at ease with their parts and not "stiff", like so many community theaters can be.  The movements of SCT's performers were natural.  They did things people do in everyday life, such as rub their head with their fingers when someone was talking to them, move around and stretch their legs when they sit and use their hands to make a point, among many other movements that people do normally.<BR>
         Directors Lyle M. Hennicke and Rebecca Summers and assistant directors Oliver Corrigan, Sally Morris,Lucinda Springston, and Toby D'Amore deserve a lot of credit for their achievements in putting together a class-act performance, as well as handling two casts with a total of 87 performers, about 40 of who are under the age of 12.  The cast did what they were supposed to do and were weel-behaved.  There was no squirming, talking amongst themselves or anything else that would have distracted from the show.<BR>
         The show will run at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Saturday, July 19, 20, 25, 26, and 27 and at 4 p.m. on Sunday and July 21.  The theatre is located in the Streetsboro Municipal Building, 9184 S. R. 43.  Tickets are $7 for students, $8 for senior citizens and $10 for adults.  For reservations, call (330) 626-9427.  </FONT><FONT  COLOR="#004080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=5 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Book Antiqua" LANG="0"><U><BR>
<P ALIGN=CENTER></U><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#008080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></B><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#004080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</P></P></P></FONT></HTML>
--part1_8e.2acec94a.2a60834c_boundary--