[NEohioPAL]Re: Best New Talent Questions/Replies

Luvin Life luvinlifemi at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 18 01:05:57 PDT 2002

Dear Curious in Cincinnati (I feel like Dear Abby :) )

(I am responding to your e-mail privately and sending it to the Sternfeld
list as well.  I removed all references to your name/e-mail to keep this
anonymous - but thought others might benefit from your concerns and my
reply. I don't know if it'll pass the Censors, but I thought I'd give it a
try)

In regards to the Best New Talent BBB report posting that I placed on June
26th, You Wrote:

(senders name removed for privacy)
>To: <luvinlifemi at hotmail.com>
>Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 18:57:36 -0400
>
>Yes  I noticed that the date of this message is rather recent June 26,2002,
>what part of the state did they visit you?  North of Cincinnati?  Before
>any decision was made, I also went to the BBB, however you noticed that
>this business is rather new , started in 1999, and really began in 2000.
>The complaints stated were of issues relating to refunds, where they were
>past the period of asking for registration refunds after the cooling period
>of 5 days?  Remember, buyers remorse, is usually only 3 days, even if you
>buy a car, a home, etc. As with pro scout (I do not know if you are
>familiar with them) I too searched and checked the BBB along with other
>reports on the internet. With this company, there were complaints of the
>show and issues themselves, in meaning, how they promised you this would
>happen and that, and mislead you into thinking even a person of 5'3" had
>modeling potential.
>I did not feel with this organization that they mislead you in any way,
>they said, if your not 5'9" tall your too short to model, they only put the
>younger ones in modeling, if you were a teen and not 5'9" they politely
>told you your too short,
>They not once told the group or any of us, you will be discovered, you will
>find stardom, you will get an agent, they simply told you, you will be
>performing in front of agents and by doing so, will give you feedback.  If
>anyone thinks that they will be discovered and by tomorrow or the next day,
>stardom will exist, than they do not know the business.  If one even has an
>agent, that agent does not promise you work, but opens the doors for you to
>go on auditions, without an agent, it is almost impossible to even get
>anywhere.  Yes the BBB report states refund complaints , but what other
>complaints have you found out about the company.?  I could not find any out
>that they falsely promised you stardom, and did not deliver, I did not find
>out, they promised you this or that and did not deliver, they stated you
>will perform your talent with 100 other people in the category, and as a
>pageant or any other competition it will be broken down  to the top five.
>As with Ms. Teen USA and others, it is also broken down to the top 10 then
>5.
>If you can find any other information out about the negligence of what the
>company said, and from what people complained about that attended for the
>last couple years, that would be beneficial.  I am very interested to hear
>back from you and what you found.
>Curious in Cincinnati

Dear Curious:

This reply started out to be short and simple, but ended up a bit longer
than I anticipated, but here goes!

Here are the facts that led me to my personal decision - and led me to post
the BBB info on Best New Talent:

1. the fact that no one but the actual judges get to see the contestents
until the top 5 are picked from each category.  Lynn Vanturella gave the
impression that all of the judges/casting directors/agents will get to see
you - but if there are 2 judges in say the adult acting category (and I
don't remember the names of the categories off the top of my head) - and you
only appear in 1 category - then you are only seen by the 2 judges unless
you get selected into the top 5.  i.e., spending thousands of dollars to be
seen by 2 people (costs/expenses of travel/hotel entry fees) does not seem
worth it.

You only get seen by everyone else - other than your immediate judges ( from
1 to 5 if I remember correctly - this is what Lynn Vanturella told me) if
you make it to the top FIVE.  It's a bit misleading unless you pry for
information.  When Lynn and the other lady (lost her name) announced this to
the groups of people, they said that you get seen by - I forget the exact
number - but it was a 'lot' of directors/agents etc.  What I found out from
prying was that you ONLY get seen by your direct judges(about 1-5 per
category from what they said) - no other audience persons/directors/agents
are present UNLESS you make the top FIVE.  So you have a 5% chance of seeing
more than say 2 signifigant people for each category you enter. I would
guess your odds are just as good going to SAG auditions - open casting calls
- and getting seen by casting directors there - and those are free.

2.  I called the Screen Actors Guild - both in Cleveland, and in California
- and neither of them had anything positive to say about these competitions
- they both said that these 'searches'(none named in particular) are scams
for the people to make money.  Cleveland's SAG insisted - and I quote "You
do NOT have to spend money to become an actor." - meaning that you don't
have to pay anyone to get seen.  They said that these 'searches' are just a
way for these people to make money.  And I respect SAG's opinions as well.

3.  As far as the Better Business Bureau is concerned - I trust their
decisions in these matters.  They know the law, and the time frames that
people have to legally back out of a contract - I believe they even state
that in the post that I copied - so, based on that,  the fact that the BBB
gives them an unsatisfactory rating leads me to believe that at least some
people tried to back out in the alotted time frame, and were hassled about
the money.  The other thing that I have to say about that is - why WOULD so
many people want to back out?  My guess is that the sheer volume of people
who tried to get their money back, combined with the unsatisfactory response
of the people in charge, helped the BBB come to their final decision.

4.  Lastly, one big Red Flag - I have 'Roots' in sales - won't go into great
detail - but I do know some of the tactics - and there were a number of
people who e-mailed me, and stated that when they told the women in charge
of this thing that they couldn't afford the fee's, the Women in charge (i'll
shorten it to WIC)  WIC told these people "Tell ya what I'll do.  I'll
'Scholarship' you $100.  how does that sound? does that make it easier for
you?"   Typical sales tactic is to "CLOSE" the sale - you have the person
hooked, do anything to reel them in.  and they didn't 'scholarship' everyone
the same amounts - they just threw a figure in the air on how much they'd
discount whom.   If these were strict entry fees - there would be no such
thing as 'scholarships' and they weren't based on 'need'-- i.e. lower income
- because no income figures were mentioned - just someone saying "I'm just
not sure about the cost.. the fees are rather high.." then they get thrown
more bait "oh, we'll drop the cost for you... " typical sales tactic.  If
you know anyone in sales - ask them about closing the deal.

I hope I didn't come off too harshly.  I Did a LOT of research on this - and
ended up at the BBB in the end. Between my acting coach, SAG, and the BBB, I
decided my thousands (again cost of airfare, hotel, entries, food etc)would
be better spent on things like acting lessons and - oh - maybe a nice
vacation :)  Everyone has to make their own decisions.  And I didn't do
anything nasty by posting the facts - there were a lot of people wondering
about the legitimacy of this thing, and I was one of them in doubt - so I
researched it in depth, and posted what I found. All of the replies up till
now that I have had have been positive.

You sound like I did when I first got the envelope :) I was all excited, and
didn't really want to hear anything negative about it, and My acting coach,
family and friends all said - 'hold on just a minute, it's going to cost you
HOW MUCH?'  You know what I wish I knew for sure? was if "STAR SEARCH" - we
at least know that was legitimate - I wish I knew if they had the same kind
of policies.  And keep in mind this Competition isn't televised like Star
Search either.  I wonder if Star Search charged the entry fees and such
(don't know) and I THINK they didn't just show 5 people from each category
from the getgo (like this competition will - only the top 5 get anywhere or
seen by anyone really - beyond their immediate category judges) - If it WAS
a star search type of thing - that would have been GREAT!  but, I just
wanted to believe in it SOOO badly, that I was reluctant to believe anything
negative.  I am not saying that some people won't get discovered - OH.. and
let me say this - MOST ASSUREDLY - IF you believe you have the potential to
make the top 5 - If you are that good for SURE - then it may be worth the
risk for you.  I was pretty sure the top Five was out of my league, so I
KNEW I'd be throwing my money away no matter what.  On one hand, I want to
tell you that if you think you have a real chance at it, and want to spend
the money, do it! - BUT then I remember that SAG gives open casting calls
for free - still my choice over dishing out wads of cash.    The sad truth
is that hundreds of people entering this contest won't make the top 5 - and
will just lose Thousands of dollars on a dream.  NOT that everyone should
expect to WIN - but what they were touting was not the WINNING, but the
chance to be SEEN or DISCOVERED - but they didn't make it clear that only
the top FIVE would have the best chances of that.

If BNT wants to make this contest more appealing - and worth the entry fees
- they should have ALL- or MOST of the judges/casting directors/agents
present for ALL or MOST of the contestants - starting with the top 50? or
even the top 25? that would be closer to acceptable.  Or, televise the
thing.  Give EVERYONE a fair chance to be seen by all or at the very least,
a large number of signifigant people for all the money they will spend
getting there. After all - getting seen by 2 to 5 people MAX can be done
right here at home at open casting calls for Free.

Geez - Sorry I have been so long winded - I am dead tired too.  I'm off to
bed. I hope this helped you rather than make you more upset.

Thanks for replying to my post.

Luvinlife