[NEohioPAL]IFP/Chicago Updates 11/20/02

Ifpmidwest1e at aol.com Ifpmidwest1e at aol.com
Wed Nov 20 19:15:34 PST 2002

--part1_d0.30458af5.2b0d8575_boundary

IFP/Chicago Updates 11/20/02

- Peter Broderick Workshop -  Nov. 26th
- Maestro Events  - Nov. 22-23
- The Misanthrope - Dec. 4th
- Other Midwest Updates on Events, Contests, Etc.!

#####################

Indie Filmmaking Secrets Revealed!

A Workshop with Peter Broderick

Co-Presented with Facets Multi-media, Inc.

Date: Tuesday November 26

Time: 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm=20

Admission: Free for IFP and Facets Members, $10 for Non-Members

Location: Facets
1517 W. Fullerton, Chicago, Illinois 60614

Don't miss this incredible opportunity to learn from one of the "insiders" i=
n=20
the indie industry and a leading figure in the digital filmmaking movement.=20
Peter will discuss the financing process, the digital medium, the role of th=
e=20
producer's rep, the current state of indie filmmaking distribution, among=20
many topics, and answer any questions you may have about your own project.

Broderick most recently was President of Next Wave Films, a company of the=20
Independent Film Channel (IFC), that supplied finishing funds and served as=20=
a=20
producer's rep for emerging filmmakers, helping them implement festival and=20
press strategies and secure distribution. It also financed features shot=20
digitally through its production arm, Agenda 2000. In late August of this=20
year, IFC, after financing Next Wave through five and a half exhilarating=20
years, closed Next Wave.=20

Next Wave's features included: Christopher Nolan's Following; Henry Barrial'=
s=20
Some Body, the first feature projected digitally in Dramatic Competition at=20
Sundance (2001); and Kate Davis's Southern Comfort, the winner of the 2001=20
Sundance Grand Jury Prize for best documentary.=20

Broderick also wrote a catalytic series of articles for Filmmaker magazine=20
that stimulated many filmmakers to make features on micro-budgets. A leading=
=20
advocate of digital moviemaking, he has given presentations on digital=20
feature production at Cannes, Sundance, Toronto, Rotterdam, Edinburgh and=20
many other festivals.=20

He has also taught courses at UCLA, and written articles for Scientific=20
American, Filmmaker, Sight and Sound, and Moviemaker about DV filmmaking. He=
=20
has been a consultant to the Sundance Film Festival, PBS, and the Rockefelle=
r=20
Foundation.A graduate of Brown University, Cambridge University, and Yale La=
w=20
School, he practiced law in Washington, DC.
 =20
#####################

Don't Miss MAESTRO this weekend!

-- Friday, November 22
Maestro Opening Reception
Wine and Cheese Reception; Cash Bar

7:00pm=20
Gene Siskel Film Center Cafe=20
164 N. State Street=20
312.846.2600

Come, hang out, eat & drink, and meet reps from AIVF, NAMAC and local media=20
arts organizations, as well as the film director, Richard La Porta, before=20
the show. followed by ...

Screening, 8:30pm=20
Gene Siskel Film Center Theaters
One Man's Ceiling by Chicago filmmaker Richard La Porta
Comedy/Drama, Video, Color, 2001, 103 min.=20
$8 general/$4 AIVF,NAMAC,VDB,CF,IFP, GSFC,SLYM staff+members/$3 students

Every day we make decisions. Most days they are mundane ones with little=20
consequence. Inevitably there comes a day when one decision can alter your=20
life forever. One man's Ceiling represents that day. Our hero has reached a=20
fork in the road. Overrun with the fear that the path he is currently on is=20=
a=20
dead end, he must make a decision whether or not to take an active or passiv=
e=20
road into his future. A question and answer session with the filmmaker will=20
follow the screening.

This program is presented in conjunction with the Gene Siskel Film Center an=
d=20
is part of their Digital Pioneers II Series featuring American independents=20
in a new round-up of recent adventurous work created in electronic formats=20
including Digi-beta, Mini-DV, and HD

-- Saturday, November 23

Media Advocacy Roundtable
11am - 1pm=20
Gene Siskel Center Cafe, 164 N. State Street=20
#312.846.2600

Copyright, intellectual property, funding, and regulation of broadcast and=20
internet channels, are hot topics for independent media makers. Cultural and=
=20
telecommunications policy often seems obscure, but it has a profound effect=20
on what work is made and how that work reaches audiences. Come join your=20
fellows for a light lunch, and learn what local and national media policy=20
issues are at the fore=E2=80=94and what you can do about them. Roundtable pr=
esented=20
by AIVF; light lunch courtesy of MacArthur Foundation)

Please RSVP for the Roundtable to Ghen at aivf.org or on the registration link=20
at www.aivf.org/maestro

1pm - 3pm
Panel Discussion
Gene Siskel Center Theater, 164 N. State Street =20
#312.846.2600

Presented by Video Data Bank

FREE

"Getting your work out into the world: An Audience Development Panel for=20
Independent Film and Videomakers"

Every film and video-maker should be thinking about potential audiences and=20
distribution long before they begin production. With dwindling broadcast=20
opportunities, and theatrical deals hard to come by, how will you ensure tha=
t=20
your intended audience sees your work, in spite of the obstacles? Why might=20
you opt for self-distribution, and what are the key elements of success in=20
this endeavor? Find out from your peers how they got their work seen and=20
celebrated.=20

Topics will include: approaching exhibitors and theatre bookers and=20
negotiating the deal; exploring other venue options outside of traditional=20
theatres; organizing a tour with your work; working together with other=20
artists to jointly promote your work; developing and implementing a marketin=
g=20
strategy or market identity for your work; getting publicity for your=20
screenings, exhibitions or theatrical runs; defining outreach options and=20
doing audience development. This event was organized by Abina Manning,=20
Associate Director, The Video Data Bank

Panelists, who will be screening short clips of their work, include=20
documentary filmmaker Ronit Bezalel; Salome Chasnoff, media activist and=20
founder of Beyondmedia; media artist Thomas Comerford; independent=20
filmmakerJames Fotopoulos; Kirsten Stoltmann, a very good artist; and=20
documentary filmmaker Yvonne Welbon. Panel moderated by media artist Dara=20
Greenwald, Distribution Manager, The Video Data Bank.

#####################

IFP Facets Film Series Presents The Misanthrope

Wednesday December 4, 7 PM

Admission: Free for IFP, NATAS, and Facets Members; $5 For Non-Members

Facets, 1517 W. Fullerton, Chicago

Director Allen Colombo and Producer Rachel Davis Present!

In this bone dry comedy, Artemis, a boozing sixth-grade teacher whose privat=
e=20
and professional lives vie for the title of least satisfying, gets roped int=
o=20
directing the annual school play. When he decides to have the kids perform=20
Moliere's adult-themed The Misanthrope, Artemis finally gets the attention=20
he's been seeking...=20

Winner of the South by Southwest Film Festival Special Jury Prize and=20
official selection of the Cinequest San Jose Film Festival!

Director Allen Colombo and Producer Rachel Davis will lead a Q&A after the=20
Screening!

Join us for a pre-screening workshop at 5:30 pm at Facets with Director Alle=
n=20
Colombo and Producer Rachel Davis to discuss the production and financing=20
process.=20

To RSVP for the Workshop, please write infonatas at aol.com or call=20
312-435-1825.

#####################

OTHER MIDWEST UPDATES

1. "Nightingale in a Music Box"

Imagine a technology which has the potential to change what it means to be=20
human.

"Nightingale in a Music Box", a feature film directed by Hurt McDermott and=20
produced by Leigh Jones and Todd Slotten will be screening in November as=20
part of the Gene Siskel Film Center=E2=80=99s series "Celebrating the Digita=
l=20
Revolution".

New Garden Technologies has just patented a new life form, microbes made
to be inserted in the brain to control memory. The nations of the world want=
=20
this technology controlled; so when New Garden apprehends someone trying to=20
steal these genetic blue prints, the UN is quick to send Burke, a legendary=20
female operative who has been debriefing tainted spies since the Cold War.

Screenings are Nov. 23rd at 8pm;  Nov. 24th at 4pm; and Nov 27th at 8pm.

--------------

2.  The CCC Best of 2002 Nominees have been announced!  Who will capture thi=
s=20
year's "Golden Can" Awards?!?  You can vote for your favorite films at=20
http://www.chicagocommunitycinema.com/VOTE.php=20
 =20
Annnnddd...=20
 =20
If you haven=E2=80=99t seen some of the films or would like to take a second=
 look at=20
this year's outstanding nominees, visit FreeAndCheapTheatre.com <
http://www.freeandcheaptheatre.com/> =E2=80=99s Monday Night Mixer at The Go=
odbar=20
(2512 N. Halsted, just North of Fullerton).  For the next two Mondays, we=
=E2=80=99ll=20
be screening many of our nominees for your viewing and voting pleasure.  As=20
always, we'll have $2.50 Sam Adams Light's for you, and we'll even give you=20
some live music afterwards=E2=80=A6 what more could you ask for on a Monday=20=
night?!? =20

Visit http://www.chicagocommunitycinema.com/SHOW.htm for a schedule of what=
=E2=80=99s=20
showing so you can catch the films that you=E2=80=99ve missed.  This schedul=
e also=20
has a description of each of the films in case you need a quick reminder on=20
which film is which=E2=80=A6

Of course, the winners will be announced at

Chicago Community Cinema=E2=80=99s Best of 2002 Awards=20
Tuesday December 3=20
Doors Open at 6:00pm=20
Award Show starts at 7:30pm=20
For more information visit http://www.chicagocommunitycinema.com/=20
Or call (773) 289-4261=20
 =20
---------------

3. November Screen-2-Stream LineUp

Sometimes the best things in life ARE free!=20
Independent Film and Video Chicago (iFvChicago.com)
and Frankie J's on Broadway are holding=20
their FREE monthly Screen-2-Stream Film=20
and Video Screening which will take place=20
on Monday November 25th, 2002 at 8pm.=20

The event will take place at Frankie J's=20
Methadome Theatre located at 4437 North=20
Broadway in Chicago. (Wilson Red Line Stop)

This month's line-up will include:

Last Month's Winner:
"Hungry" by Michael Jarecki=20

November's Contestants:
1. Nenu by Carl Paoli
2. My Sundown...John Reeder
3. Pigeons in the City...Katie LaPlante and Lori Frank
4. Bad Clown's Ringworm Circus... Jason Dubin
5. No Woman's Flesh But Hers...Bill Housewright
6. Jerry...Wojciech Lorenc
7. rush hour...Dan LaCloche
8. Deep Fried and Battered... Karen Kulovitz and Jovanie Vazquez

This is an all-ages event so invite everyone you know! BYOB!

To learn more about this event and check out pictures from previous=20
editions of Screen-2-Stream, visit www.ifvchicago.com

------------------

4. "Reinventing Moviemaking"
Lecturer: Peter Broderick

On Monday, November 25, at the Gene Siskel Film Center, Peter Broderick will=
=20
present an entertaining program of international clips from recent features=20
including DANCER IN THE DARK, TIMECODE, MANIC, and TAPE. His discussion will=
=20
provide an overview of the revolutionary changes in independent filmmaking=20
brought about by the advent of digital tools. A key figure in the developmen=
t=20
and distribution of digitally shot features, Broderick was founder and=20
president of Next Wave Films, a company of the Independent Film Channel whic=
h=20
supplied finishing funds and other vital support to emerging filmmakers. He=20
has served as executive producer for a wide range of American independents,=20
including BLUE VINYL and SOME BODY. Beta SP video. =20

Tickets are $8/general public and $4/Film Center members. Broderick appears=20
on Monday, November 25, at 8 p.m., at the Gene Siskel Film Center, 164 N.=20
State St. Call 312-846-2800 or visit www.siskelfilmcenter.org for more=20
information.

------------------

5. Looking back at the year 2002, what will you remember?  A roller=20
coaster economy?  Difficult business decisions?  A dwindling retirement=20
nest egg?

But think about this: while we struggled with checkbooks and payrolls,=20
some of our neighbors agonized over where their next meal would come=20
from.  Some of them had to explain to their kids why they had to go to=20
bed hungry.  Some of them faced the kind of challenges we can only=20
imagine.

MCAI-Chicago has shifted the focus of its annual holiday gathering to a=20
fundraising event for the Greater Chicago Food Depository.  The date is=20
December 18, and we hope you'll not only join us, but participate as=20
well.

We're asking our friends and colleagues to help sponsor the event.  You=20
can sponsor in two different ways:  a) with items donated for a series=20
of raffles to be held during the evening's festivities, and/or b) cash=20
sponsorship to offset our out-of-pocket costs for food, drinks and=20
location.

A) RAFFLE ITEMS
All raffle proceeds, as well as donations taken at the door, will go to=20
the Depository.

What can we use?  Be creative!   Here are just a few ideas to get you=20
started:
=E2=80=A2 Gift certificates for merchandise or restaurants
=E2=80=A2 Electronics
=E2=80=A2 Luxury services, like a massage or an hour with a personal trainer
=E2=80=A2 Industry related items, for example, a case of Beta tapes, an hour=
 of=20
graphics, two hours of edit time (great for demo reels!)
=E2=80=A2 Are you a voice-over talent?  How about donating an hour of your t=
ime?
=E2=80=A2 30 seconds of original music for your next production
=E2=80=A2 Transcription services
=E2=80=A2  and on.....

...You get the idea.  The more creative you can be, the more fun we'll=20
all have, and the more money we'll raise for this most deserving cause.

B) CASH SPONSORSHIP
Donations can be made at three levels:
=E2=80=A2 Bronze: $50
=E2=80=A2 Silver: $100
=E2=80=A2 Gold:  $200

Any cash collected in excess of our actual costs will be donated to the=20
Depository.

All donors will be acknowledged in MCAI-Chicago's newsletter, website=20
and other publications.

PLEASE CONTACT JOAN RUPPERT =E2=80=A2ASAP=E2=80=A2 WITH DONATION OFFERS.  E-=
mail is=20
best. We need commitments as soon as possible in order best publicize=20
the event=20
and draw as many people as possible.

By the way, you can find out more about the Greater Chicago Food=20
Depository at their website:  www.chicagosfoodbank.org.

Thanks in advance for your generous participation!  Please feel free to=20
call with any questions.

Joan Ruppert, 847-998-9789

------------------

6.  MIFS Meeting in Milwaukee - Our regularly scheduled meeting will not be=20
held on December 4th.  Instead, we will be co-hosting a Holiday Gathering=20
with the Wisconsin Screenwriter's Forum on December 11, 2002, beginning at=20
7pm.  The gathering will be in Room 140 of the milwaukee Enterprise Center,=20
2821 N. 4th St., Milwaukee, WI  53202.  Once again, we're pleased to announc=
e=20
that Lakefront Brewery is sponsoring the event.

We kindly request that attendees bring a snack or a dish to share, and we=20
will have a monitor and VCR available for members who wish to show work.

------------------

7.  The official lineup for the 2002 Indianapolis Underground Film Festival=20
(a.k.a. "the YIN to Heartland's YANG") has finally been announced!  Mark you=
r=20
calendars for December 6th - 8th.  We've got a great group a flicks to show=20
you this year.

Film schedule and descriptions, as well as ticket, pass and party info are=20
now up on =20
on line at www.thefilmcommune.com. =20

------------------
=20
8.  Thousands were moved and inspired by the uplifting film
The Optimists
The Story of the Rescue of the Bulgarian Jews
from the Holocaust

by local filmmakers Jacky and Lisa Comforty

Opening in Chicago this weekend (Nov. 22nd) at the=20
3 Penny Cinema
2424 N. Lincoln Ave.
773-525-3449

Friday: 7:00 & 9:00 p.m.=20
Saturday & Sunday: 3:00, 5:00, 7:00 & 9:00 p.m.=20
Monday-Thursday: 7:00 & 8:45.

Director Jacky Comforty will answer questions every Saturday night after the=
=20
7:00 PM and 9:00 PM shows.

What can ordinary people do in a time of crisis?

In this time of war and distrust, many people are asking themselves how=20
individuals can make a difference.=20

The Optimists tells the story of how individuals successfully resisted a=20
pro-Nazi regime in Bulgaria. =20

------------------=20

9. Chicago Latino Film Festival Poster Contest  Wednesday, December 4, 2002=20
is the deadline for the 19th Annual Chicago Latino Film Festival Poster=20
Contest.This contest allows Chicago artists to show off their artistic talen=
t=20
with a $500 dollar prize for the winner, and not to mention your artwork=20
being featured on festival invitations, t-shirts, a film trailer,=20
advertisements and their website-creating priceless exposure for the artist

The event is sponsored by the International Latino Cultural Center of Chicag=
o=20
(ILCC) The contest is open to all artists and submissions must be received b=
y=20
Wednesday, December 4, 2002.  http://www.latinoculturalcenter.com

------------------=20

10.  Underground Film Festival Grant  The grants vary between $500 and $2000=
=20
dollars and is to be used for production costs.  Applicants should keep in=20
mind the festival's mission to promote works that push boundaries, defy=20
commercial expectations and transcend the mainstream of independent=20
filmmaking.

The deadline for this years submissions is February 5, 2003 and awards will=20
be announced in May, 2003.=20

Application and guidelines are available at their website.=20
http://www.cuff.org/cufffund.php

------------------
=20
13.  CABRINI CONNECTS WITH SUPPORTERS FOR TEEN PROGRAM
Cabrini Connections Holds Fundraising Event for Tutor/Mentor Program
 =20
WHAT: Cabrini Connections=E2=80=99 Fall Benefit to raise funds and recruit n=
ew=20
friends and leaders for the tutor/mentor program for teens living in Chicago=
=E2=80=99
s Cabrini-Green neighborhood. Join us for an evening of drinks, appetizers,=20
socializing and raffle prizes.=20
 =20
WHO: A whopping 37.8% of the 2 million children in Illinois come from=20
low-income families. Data shows that not even half of these children meet=20
state standards, which means that approximately 400,000 boys and girls from=20
low-income families are struggling. This is a large number of kids who face=20=
a=20
very bleak future. The consequences for these children, their families, thei=
r=20
communities and our state are costly and troublesome.

Cabrini Connections, a non-profit organization, seeks to expand learning and=
=20
mentoring opportunities for inner-city children throughout Chicago.=20
Comprehensive, long-term tutoring and mentoring programs engage volunteers a=
s=20
change agents who help youth stay in school, build social and work place=20
skills, and expand experiences and aspirations that lead to broader career=20
opportunities.=20

Cabrini Connections provides an organized framework that empowers and=20
encourages adult volunteers to give their time, effort, ideas and advocacy i=
n=20
seeking life-changing solutions for children living in educationally and=20
economically disadvantaged environments such as the Cabrini-Green housing=20
development in Chicago.=20

Since 1993, Cabrini Connections has led the Kids=E2=80=99 Connection tutor/m=
entoring=20
program. In the past five years, more than 20 of the program=E2=80=99s gradu=
ates have=20
entered college after 3-5 consecutive years with the program. Known=20
worldwide, Cabrini Connections also leads the Tutor/Mentor Connection (T/MC)=
,=20
which is a growing network of more than 200 tutor mentor programs.=20
 =20
WHEN: Friday, November 22, 2002
6:00 =E2=80=93 9:00 p.m.
(includes 3 hours of free drinks and food=20
at Lincoln Park's finest Irish pub!)

WHERE: Glascott=E2=80=99s Grogery in Lincoln Park, 2158 N. Halsted

COST: $40/ticket. Purchase tickets now for this limited availability=20
event  http://www.emailconnex.com/glascotts/signup.asp?CPK=3D499

INFORMATION: www.tutormentorconnection.org
Contact: Dan Bassil
312/492-9614
info at cabriniconnections.net=20

--part1_d0.30458af5.2b0d8575_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
IFP/Chicago Updates 11/20/02<BR>
<BR>
- Peter Broderick Workshop -  Nov. 26th<BR>
- Maestro Events  - Nov. 22-23<BR>
- The Misanthrope - Dec. 4th<BR>
- Other Midwest Updates on Events, Contests, Etc.!<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Indie Filmmaking Secrets Revealed!<BR>
<BR>
A Workshop with Peter Broderick<BR>
<BR>
Co-Presented with Facets Multi-media, Inc.<BR>
<BR>