[NEohioPAL]This Week at the Oberlin Conservatory of Music

Marci Janas pjanas at oberlin.edu
Fri Dec 20 12:46:13 PST 2002

--==========00310503==========

Hello everyone,

Your weekly digest of news and events from the Oberlin Conservatory of
Music at Oberlin College comes to you with a press release (see end of text =

block) concerning "From the Top"--with special guest Bobby McFerrin--at
Oberlin. Please note that our venue has been changed from Warner Concert
Hall to Finney Chapel. The date and time remain the same: TUESDAY, JANUARY
28 at 8 p.m. Young musicians from the Cleveland Orchestra Youth Orchestra
will be featured performers.  For more information about this event and for =

other Oberlin news, please visit our web site:

http://www.oberlin.edu/con/

Please visit our electronic calendar of events for a complete listing of
upcoming concerts and recitals:

http://www.oberlin.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/events/cal_conservatory.pl

I hope that you find this information useful as you plan your coverage of
the music world. Should you have any questions or comments, please let me
know. I would love to hear from you.

The digest will be on holiday hiatus until after Jan. 1.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

--Marci

********

Editors please note: This press release reflects a change of event venue
since prior announcements=3Fevent to be held in Finney Chapel, NOT Warner
Concert Hall.

OBERLIN MEDIA CONTACT: Marci Janas   		FROM THE TOP MEDIA CONTACT: David
Balsom
(440) 775-8328//marci.janas at oberlin.edu		(617) 437-0707 ext. 107 or (617)
510-2316
						dbalsom at fromthetop.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:			December 16, 2002

OBERLIN CONSERVATORY OF MUSIC HOSTS PUBLIC RADIO'S
FROM THE TOP -- WITH SPECIAL GUEST BOBBY McFERRIN -- ON JAN. 28

Popular program to tape before a live audience; members of
Cleveland Orchestra Youth Orchestra among young performers.

OBERLIN, OHIO  =3F From the Top, the hit public radio program that NBC's
Today Show calls "classy reality programming," comes to Northeast Ohio on
Tuesday, January 28, at 8 p.m. to record a show before a live audience in
Finney Chapel at the Oberlin Conservatory of Music at Oberlin College. The
program, which is being recorded for broadcast later in 2003, will feature
special guest Bobby McFerrin joined by talented young musicians from around =

the country. Hosted by internationally renowned pianist Christopher
O'Riley, From the Top can be heard every Saturday at 9 p.m. on WCLV-FM
104.9FM, Cleveland's classical music radio station, and the program is
carried on more than 240 radio stations coast-to-coast. Media sponsorship
for From the Top at Oberlin is provided by WCLV.

General admission tickets for the live taping are $20 for the public; $16
for seniors, educators, and those with an OCID (Oberlin College faculty,
staff, alumni, and parents); and $7 for students and children. Because this =

event is being taped for national radio broadcast, children under the age
of seven will not be admitted. Tickets purchased at the door are an
additional $2. Discounts for groups of 10 or more are also available;
please call Oberlin's Central Ticket Service for more information.

>From the Top features the stories and performances of young, pre-collegiate =

musicians. Among the performers who will be featured on the Oberlin program =

are members of  a wind nonet from the Cleveland Orchestra Youth Orchestra:
Allison Green, age 16, a flutist from Strongsville; oboists Jeff Kish of
Mentor and David Kulma of Lakewood, both 17; clarinetists Mara Mayer, 17,
from University Heights and Erika Cikraji, 16, of Bay Village; bassoonists
Katie Brooks, 16, of Pepper Pike and Katie Pletka, 17, from Parma; and horn =

players Savas Altuntas, 19, from Sheffield Lake and Sarah Greenlee, 17, of
Shaker Heights. The ensemble will perform Charles Fran=E7ois Gounod's =
Petite
Symphonie.  Other musicians hail from Wisconsin and from the Juilliard
School of Music's Pre-College Division.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune has called the show "the best thing to happen
to classical music since Leonard Bernstein's Young People's Concerts," and
in just over three years it has become the country's most popular weekly
classical music program.

Bobby McFerrin has been called "one of the natural wonders of the music
world." A 10-time Grammy Award winner, he is one of the world's best-known
vocal innovators and improvisers, a world-renowned classical conductor, the =

creator of one of the most popular songs of the late 20th century, and a
passionate spokesman for music education. His recordings have sold more
than 20 million copies, and his collaborations with Yo-Yo Ma, Chick Corea,
the Vienna Philharmonic, and Herbie Hancock have established him as an
ambassador of both the classical and jazz worlds.

Co-producer of From the Top is Scott Schillin, a 1968 graduate of the
Oberlin Conservatory of Music. Sara Stackhouse, a 1991 Oberlin College
graduate, is the show's guest artist coordinator and education director.

>From the Top is made possible through grants from the National Endowment
for the Arts, the Massachusetts Cultural Council, and The PRI Program Fund, =

whose contributors include Mr. and Mrs. J. Irwin Miller. It is also
supported by the contributions of individuals and foundations as well as
public radio stations. The program is a creation of Concert Productions,
Inc., in association with WGBH Radio Boston and the New England
Conservatory of Music, its home and education partner. From the Top is
distributed by Public Radio International.

For more information, please visit oberlin.edu/con or fromthetop.org.

The Oberlin Conservatory of Music, founded in 1865, became part of Oberlin
College in 1867. It is the oldest, continuously operating conservatory in
the United States, and is renowned internationally as a professional music
school of the highest caliber situated within the intellectual vitality of
a liberal arts college.

###

Media Contact Only: Marci Janas	 440-775-8328/marci.janas at oberlin.edu
	12/16/02 #12mj

Marci Janas
Director of Conservatory Media Relations
Oberlin Conservatory of Music
39 West College Street
Oberlin, OH  44074
vox: 440-775-8328
fax: 440-776-3006
marci.janas at oberlin.edu
www.oberlin.edu
--==========00310503==========

Your weekly digest of news and events from the Oberlin Conservatory of =
Music at Oberlin College comes to you with a press release (see end of text =
block) concerning "From the Top"--with special guest Bobby McFerrin--at =
been changed from Warner Concert Hall to Finney Chapel. The date and time =
remain the same: TUESDAY, JANUARY 28 at 8 p.m.</color> Young musicians from =

						dbalsom at fromthetop.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:			December 16, 2002

OBERLIN CONSERVATORY OF MUSIC HOSTS PUBLIC RADIO'S

<italic>FROM THE TOP</italic> -- WITH SPECIAL GUEST BOBBY McFERRIN -- ON =
JAN. 28

Popular program to tape before a live audience; members of

Cleveland Orchestra Youth Orchestra among young performers.

OBERLIN, OHIO  =3F <italic>From the Top</italic>, the hit public radio =
program that NBC's <italic>Today Show</italic> calls "classy reality =
programming," comes to Northeast Ohio on Tuesday, January 28, at 8 p.m. to =
record a show before a live audience in Finney Chapel at the Oberlin =
Conservatory of Music at Oberlin College. The program, which is being =
recorded for broadcast later in 2003, will feature special guest Bobby =
McFerrin joined by talented young musicians from around the country. Hosted =
by internationally renowned pianist Christopher O'Riley, <italic>From the =
Top</italic> can be heard every Saturday at 9 p.m. on WCLV-FM 104.9FM, =
Cleveland's classical music radio station, and the program is carried on =
more than 240 radio stations coast-to-coast. Media sponsorship for =
<italic>From the Top</italic> at Oberlin is provided by WCLV.

General admission tickets for the live taping are $20 for the public; $16 =
for seniors, educators, and those with an OCID (Oberlin College faculty, =
staff, alumni, and parents); and $7 for students and children. =
national radio broadcast, children under the age of seven will not be =
admitted</color>. Tickets purchased at the door are an additional $2. =
Discounts for groups of 10 or more are also available; please call =
Oberlin's Central Ticket Service for more information.

<italic>From the Top</italic> features the stories and performances of =
young, pre-collegiate musicians. Among the performers who will be featured =
on the Oberlin program are members of  a wind nonet from the Cleveland =
Orchestra Youth Orchestra: Allison Green, age 16, a flutist from =
Strongsville; oboists Jeff Kish of Mentor and David Kulma of Lakewood, both =
17; clarinetists Mara Mayer, 17, from University Heights and Erika Cikraji, =
16, of Bay Village; bassoonists Katie Brooks, 16, of Pepper Pike and Katie =
Pletka, 17, from Parma; and horn players Savas Altuntas, 19, from Sheffield =
Lake and Sarah Greenlee, 17, of Shaker Heights. The ensemble will perform =
Charles Fran=E7ois Gounod's Petite Symphonie.  Other musicians hail from =
Wisconsin and from the Juilliard School of Music's Pre-College Division.

<italic>The Minneapolis Star Tribune</italic> has called the show "the best =
thing to happen to classical music since Leonard Bernstein's =
over three years it has become the country's most popular weekly classical =
music program.

Bobby McFerrin has been called "one of the natural wonders of the music =
world." A 10-time Grammy Award winner, he is one of the world's best-known =
vocal innovators and improvisers, a world-renowned classical conductor, the =
creator of one of the most popular songs of the late 20th century, and a =
passionate spokesman for music education. His recordings have sold more =
than 20 million copies, and his collaborations with Yo-Yo Ma, Chick Corea, =
the Vienna Philharmonic, and Herbie Hancock have established him as an =
ambassador of both the classical and jazz worlds.

Co-producer of <italic>From the Top</italic> is Scott Schillin, a 1968 =
graduate of the Oberlin Conservatory of Music. Sara Stackhouse, a 1991 =
Oberlin College graduate, is the show's guest artist coordinator and =
education director.

<italic>From the Top</italic> is made possible through grants from the =
National Endowment for the Arts, the Massachusetts Cultural Council, and =
The PRI Program Fund, whose contributors include Mr. and Mrs. J. Irwin =
Miller. It is also supported by the contributions of individuals and =
foundations as well as public radio stations. The program is a creation of =
Concert Productions, Inc., in association with WGBH Radio Boston and the =
New England Conservatory of Music, its home and education partner. =
<italic>From the Top</italic> is distributed by Public Radio International.

For more information, please visit oberlin.edu/con or fromthetop.org.

The Oberlin Conservatory of Music, founded in 1865, became part of Oberlin =
College in 1867. It is the oldest, continuously operating conservatory in =
the United States, and is renowned internationally as a professional music =
school of the highest caliber situated within the intellectual vitality of =
a liberal arts college.

###

Media Contact Only: Marci Janas	 =
440-775-8328/marci.janas at oberlin.edu		12/16/02 #12mj