[NEohioPAL]Re: Mike And Ike - An Ironic Loving Farewell

JT Buck darnay2 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 17 14:18:34 PST 2003

<P><BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thank you , Fred, for allowing us a couple of days to discuss this subject.  Its very gracious of you.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>As for Jeff Holland and his Mike and Ike reviews, I say: Good-bye to bad rubbish.</DIV>
<DIV>Quite frankly I found them nast and annoying.  Not to mention devoid of any true critical value.  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>For several years, I have been a proud member of the NE Ohio Theatre Community.  Not only that, but I am a college student at the prestigious University of Akron, and I am nearing completion of my degree.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>With such credentials, I have the right to take my work and myself so extremely seriously, that I have no time to pause and allow even the slightest hint of self-mockary to breeze into my precious life.  If it does, I have the right to be as nasty and snotty towards its source as I want to be</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Because I take my work so seriously, I have excelled to the highest ranks of the theatre world : Northeast Ohio.    We don't need populist, post-modern, anti-feminist theatrical trailer trash like Mike and Ike coming along to devalue our community's almighty intellectual property.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>After all, I must create 'sacred space' for my upcoming production of State Fair.  How can I do this with the theatrical flatulence of Mike and Ike just outside the community-theatre temple door?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Frieds, come on!  Jeff Holland attempted to gently poke a little fun at theatrical foibles (his and ours).  If they were badly written in your estimation - so what?  As I have said before, I sincerely believe that the people who found his work offensive probably deserved it.  Don't thier email services have a 'delete' key?  Yes.  So why should Jeff have to kow-tow to a handful of bitter weenies who click on his reviews LOOKING for a target?  I could be wrong, but the jury is still out on that. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Further, how sad that this is even a "hot topic".  With all we as artists are faced with nowadays (cuts in funding, shrinking talent pool, audience decline, training, responding to the times), you'd think we would have better things to do than this.  But here we are.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>For his simple act of jestery, he gets repaid in personal, direct attacks that are overblown and downright mean.  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I am sincerely proud to be working in this neck of the woods, because of the majority of you out there who are fine people and talented souls.  </DIV>
<DIV>Even Monica Breedlove would be ashamed of the handful of posters to this list who have forgotten that the man behind Mike and Ike is a talented human being and prolific contributor to the local stage.  I hope Jeff remembers this as his career develops.  I know I will.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Sincerely,</DIV>
<DIV>JT Buck </DIV>
<DIV>Proud Mike and Ike victim, and friend till the end.</DIV>