[NEohioPAL]Coming Soon to the Warren Smith Gallery -- VISCERAL VISUALS

Marjorie Preston, PR/Marketing Director mpreston at dobama.org
Wed Feb 5 18:35:55 PST 2003

In DOBAMA THEATRE’s Warren Smith Gallery
Visceral Visuals
Oils and text by Anna Arnold
Oils, watercolor, drawing, sculpture and text by Vergie Patton
March 7 - 30

Dobama Theatre’s featured gallery artists for January are Anna Arnold and
Vergie Patton.  Both Arnold and Patton studied at the Cleveland Institute of
Art and both explore a variety of materials in their work.  Arnold will be
exhibiting oils and text, while Patton will exhibit oils, watercolor,
drawing, sculpture and text.

Arnold’s signature expressionistic style, marked by vibrant, mesmerizing
color, uncommon emotional power and richly textured surfaces of thick
impasto paint quickly made her one of Cleveland’s most admired painters.
Arnold says that her portraits reflect the anxiety and excitement of the
times, and the feeling of seeing and being seen.  “Are we viewing the
paintings or are they staring back at us?” she wonders.

Patton says of her work: “I now confront my bare canvasses with more freedom
than I did just two years ago.  I no longer worry about the end result –
this only creates tension and frustration.  Instead, I appeal to the
intellect and intuition.  The figure itself dictates the spaces or objects
surrounding it.  There is nothing more rewarding than intuition.”

The Warren Smith Gallery is open before and after performances of In the
Blood and by appointment.

At Dobama Theatre:		In the Blood
					by Suzan-Lori Parks
					Directed by Sonya Robbins
					Featuring RaSheryl McCreary
					Original music by Bill Ransom

Dobama Theatre, 1846 Coventry Road in Cleveland Heights, proudly presents
the OHIO premiere of In the Blood by Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright
Suzan-Lori Parks.  A modern-day riff on the Scarlet Letter, In the Blood
tells the story of a homeless woman and her children living on the streets,
in a world where passions are raw, need is profound, success is elusive and
adaptation is necessary.

featuring Kevin Brewer*, Victor Dickerson, Renee Matthews-Jackson, RaSheryl
McCreary*, Anthony Nickerson and Cassandra Vincent*
*member Actors’ Equity Association

Performances:
March 7-30
Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 8:00 p.m.
Sunday 3/9 at 7:30 p.m.; 3/16, 3/23, 3/30 at 2:30 p.m.  Tickets $11-$18

For more information, call Dobama Theatre at (216) 932-6838.
For reservations, call Dobama’s box office at (216) 932-3396.
*Ask about our two NEW subscription opportunities!  Half Flex Pass-$85
Theatre/Dinner Pass-$155

DOBAMATHEATREDOBAMATHEATREDOBAMATHEATREDOBAMATHEATREDOBAMATHEATREDOBAMATHEAT
REDOBAMATHEATREDOBAMATHEATREDOBAMATHEATRE

Dobama Theatre is proud to present "The Tale of the Allergist's Wife" by
Charles Busch -- EXTENDED through February 15!  Directed by Fred Sternfeld.
"As full of laughs as Zabar's is full of lox" -- Tony Brown, Plain Dealer

Upcoming productions:
In the Blood
By Suzan-Lori Parks, Directed by Sonya Robbins
featuring RaSheryl McCreary
original music by Bill Ransom
March 7-30
"Here and elsewhere, Parks has a voice that mixes distinctive lyricism with
a pungent wit." Variety

Raised in Captivity
By Nicky Silver, Directed by Russ Borski
April 25-May 18

THE 25th ANNUAL MARILYN BIANCHI KIDS' PLAYWRITING FESTIVAL
Benefit Night June 5
FREE Performances June 6-8

13th ANNUAL OWEN KELLY ADOPT-A-PLAYWRIGHT PROGRAM
June 27-29

For reservations, call Dobama's box office line: (216) 932-3396.