[NEohioPAL]Resolution of Actors' Equity Issues for Lysistrata Project

Bodwin Theatre bodwin_theatre at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 13 20:46:50 PST 2003

List: I have received a lot of interest about the Lysistrata Project for
Peace and want to pass along an update, as well as an important new
development.  As many of you are aware, Bodwin Theatre, Ensemble Theater and
others are pleased to join in a national event to encourage stronger efforts
for negotiation, inspection and peaceful resolution of issues in Iraq.  To
date, more than 300 theaters in 30 countries have committed to open their
theaters and minds on March 3rd at 8:00 for (more or less) simultaneous
readings of Aristophanes' Lysistrata, an insightful 2,400 year-old romp
exploring themes of war, peace and family on March 3rd.
Earlier, Actors Equity, the professional stage actors union, raised
important issues about the circumstances in which actors may waive their
contractual fees, even for nonprofit activity.  For members of Equity who
want to participate in the Lysistrata readings, I want to point out that
Equity has clarified their policy, leaving it up to each individual to
decide if they want to participate, following their own views and
perspectives about the world today. I've reprinted Equity's note below,
which can be found at the Equity website
(http://www.actorsequity.org/home.html).

I want to thank Actors'Equity in New York and John Buck here in Ohio for
their efforts in clearing the way for individuals to get involved to the
level of their own conscience.  We welcome your continuing interest and
participation.

Kevin Cronin
Bodwin Theatre Company
Cleveland, Ohio
216/361-9090
______________________________
Equity Notice re: THE LYSISTRATA PROJECT
In accordance with its policy of not endorsing political positions or
policies, Actors' Equity Association cannot endorse The LYSISTRATA Project.
Although the LYSISTRATA Project is not on an Equity contract or agreement,
Equity members who wish to participate in The LYSISTRATA Project are free to
do so at their own discretion. This permission does not apply to
productions/readings of LYSISTRATA being done as a benefit in a theatrical
setting with an established ticket price. Equity members who are asked to
participate in such a benefit production must contact their regional Equity
office and ask for the Theatre Authority representative to ascertain if the
benefit has been cleared.