[NEohioPAL]Details of Musicians strike in NYC this past weekend and one persons opinion.

RRICHMOOREJR at aol.com RRICHMOOREJR at aol.com
Mon Mar 10 08:54:12 PST 2003

--part1_21.2caeeb14.2b9df5b9_boundary

--part1_21.2caeeb14.2b9df5b9_alt_boundary

            CRITICAL MASS
            In Praise of Going Dark
            by Linda Winer
                                          =20
            =C2=A9 2003, Newsday, Inc.

            Many people are disappointed, some are even furious, about this=20
            weekend's strike against 18 Broadway musicals. But I am really=20
            proud.  Naturally, anyone with feelings is concerned about the=20
risk=20
            for shows and artists, and sorry for theatergoers whose plans=20
were=20
            ruined by Friday's abrupt shuttering of all musicals but one,=20
            "Cabaret", which operates on a different contract. Yes, the cost=
=20
of=20
            tickets is being refunded. But it's impossible to put a price on=
=20
the=20
            emotional investment, not to mention the related expenses,=20
            squandered on experiences denied.

            Where others see yet-another New York catastrophe, however, I se=
e=20
a=20
            great big heart for every dark light on Broadway today. Actors=20
            Equity, the actors' union, and Local 1 of the International=20
Alliance=20
            of Theatrical Stage Employees, the stagehands union, did exactly=
=20
            what they should have done when Local 802, the pit musicians,=20
struck=20
            and producers decided to replace them with computer-generated,=20
            so-called virtual orchestras.  The actors and stagehands joined=20
with=20
            the musicians to say "enough", to draw a line in the cheesing-up=
,=20

            dumbing-down of commercial theater sensibilities before people=20
            forget entirely why anyone ever loved Broadway in the first=20
place.=20
            The
            musical, lauded as one of the few great American art forms and a=
=20
            nearly $4.5-billion industry for New York, is also one of the=20
major=20
            collaborative preoccupations -- a combination of story, music,=20
dance=20
            and spectacle that barely exists until human beings join togethe=
r=20
to=20
            make it live.  How right it feels for performers and stagehands
            to refuse to let the League of American Theatres and Producers=20
            degrade -- more accurately, continue to degrade -- the deeply=20
            pleasurable profundity of live sound. On the surface, the issue=20
is=20
            employment. But, really, the subject is quality. The union=20
insists=20
            on maintaining a minimum number of players per musical house --=20
            admittedly,
            a demand that led in the past to examples of featherbedding. =20
These=20
            days, however, the minimums range from three to 26 musicians, a=20
            number that, since the "special situations provisions" in the=20
1993=20
            contract, is adjustable on a show-by-show basis.  The League=20
began=20
            contract negotiations by demanding the abolition of all minimums=
,=20

            which top executives of The League are describing as "archaic",=20
            "arcane", even "un-American". By Friday, the number had offered=20
up=20
            to a maximum of 14. The message was delivered with indignation.=20
How=20
            dare musicians tell producers and the creative team how big an=20
            orchestra they should use?

            If more producers had earned our trust in recent years, I could=20
go=20
            along with the logic of the League on this one.  Unfortunately,=20
            though tickets keep getting more expensive, the orchestras get=20
            skimpier -- and I can't believe that's the choice of the=20
"creative=20
            team".  Amplification, much of it tinny, has replaced the thrill=
=20
of=20
            natural sound and, despite resistance from the maligned=20
musicians'=20
            union, there already are synthesizers in many pits to amplify=20
            minimums that producers already think are too big.

            We are being weaned off the sound in preparation for high-tech=20
            karaoke. Orchestras are less and less visible, often buried in=20
            stagecraft and, I'm told, sometimes even stuck on another floor=20
of=20
            the theater building altogether. This season's program=20
            for the League's annual "Kids' Night on Broadway" included a=20
playful=20
            diagram about "How Broadway Puts on a Show". Everyone from=20
director=20
            to theater owner to box-office staff and public relations people=
=20
was=20
            included -- everyone, significantly, except the musicians.  This=
=20
is=20
            hardly the first time that musicians were threatened with=20
machines=20
            around contract time. As old-time producers are replaced by a ne=
            generation of bottom-line entertainment corporations, however, w=
e=20

            are in danger of losing the very handmade quality that made=20
Broadway=20
            an international destination.  New producers may find the=20
            requirements of such quality "archaic", but that push-cart =20
            mentality informed a creative community. And it's heart is=20
walking=20
            the Broadway streets today.

         =20

--part1_21.2caeeb14.2b9df5b9_alt_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
            CRITICAL=20=
MASS<BR>
            In Praise=
 of Going Dark<BR>
            by Linda=20=
Winer<BR>
            &nbs=
p;            &n=
bsp;            =
     <BR>
            =C2=A9 20=
03, Newsday, Inc.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
            Many peop=
le are disappointed, some are even furious, about this <BR>
            weekend's=
 strike against 18 Broadway musicals. But I am really <BR>
            proud.&nb=
sp; Naturally, anyone with feelings is concerned about the risk <BR>
            for shows=
 and artists, and sorry for theatergoers whose plans were <BR>
            ruined by=
 Friday's abrupt shuttering of all musicals but one, <BR>
            "Cabaret"=
, which operates on a different contract. Yes, the cost of <BR>
            tickets i=
s being refunded. But it's impossible to put a price on the <BR>
            emotional=
 investment, not to mention the related expenses, <BR>
            squandere=
d on experiences denied.<BR>
<BR>
            Where oth=
ers see yet-another New York catastrophe, however, I see a <BR>
            great big=
 heart for every dark light on Broadway today. Actors <BR>
            Equity, t=
he actors' union, and Local 1 of the International Alliance <BR>
            of Theatr=
ical Stage Employees, the stagehands union, did exactly <BR>
            what they=
 should have done when Local 802, the pit musicians, struck <BR>
            and produ=
cers decided to replace them with computer-generated, <BR>
            so-called=
 virtual orchestras.  The actors and stagehands joined with <BR>
            the music=
ians to say "enough", to draw a line in the cheesing-up, <BR>
            dumbing-d=
own of commercial theater sensibilities before people <BR>
            forget en=
tirely why anyone ever loved Broadway in the first place. <BR>
            The<BR>
            musical,=20=
lauded as one of the few great American art forms and a <BR>
            nearly $4=
.5-billion industry for New York, is also one of the major <BR>
            collabora=
tive preoccupations -- a combination of story, music, dance <BR>
            and spect=
acle that barely exists until human beings join together to <BR>
            make it l=
ive.  How right it feels for performers and stagehands<BR>
            to refuse=
 to let the League of American Theatres and Producers <BR>
            degrade -=
- more accurately, continue to degrade -- the deeply <BR>
            pleasurab=
le profundity of live sound. On the surface, the issue is <BR>
            employmen=
t. But, really, the subject is quality. The union insists <BR>
            on mainta=
ining a minimum number of players per musical house -- <BR>
            admittedl=
y,<BR>
            a demand=20=
that led in the past to examples of featherbedding.  These <BR>
            days, how=
ever, the minimums range from three to 26 musicians, a <BR>
            number th=
at, since the "special situations provisions" in the 1993 <BR>
            contract,=
 is adjustable on a show-by-show basis.  The League began <BR>
            contract=20=
negotiations by demanding the abolition of all minimums, <BR>
            which top=
 executives of The League are describing as "archaic", <BR>
            "arcane",=
 even "un-American". By Friday, the number had offered up <BR>
            to a maxi=
mum of 14. The message was delivered with indignation. How <BR>
            dare musi=
cians tell producers and the creative team how big an <BR>
            orchestra=
 they should use?<BR>
<BR>
            If more p=
roducers had earned our trust in recent years, I could go <BR>
            along wit=
h the logic of the League on this one.  Unfortunately, <BR>
            though ti=
ckets keep getting more expensive, the orchestras get <BR>
            skimpier=20=
-- and I can't believe that's the choice of the "creative <BR>
            team".&nb=
sp; Amplification, much of it tinny, has replaced the thrill of <BR>
            natural s=
ound and, despite resistance from the maligned musicians' <BR>
            union, th=
ere already are synthesizers in many pits to amplify <BR>
            minimums=20=
that producers already think are too big.<BR>
<BR>
            We are be=
ing weaned off the sound in preparation for high-tech <BR>
            karaoke.=20=
Orchestras are less and less visible, often buried in <BR>
            stagecraf=
t and, I'm told, sometimes even stuck on another floor of <BR>
            the theat=
er building altogether. This season's program <BR>
            for the L=
eague's annual "Kids' Night on Broadway" included a playful <BR>
            diagram a=
bout "How Broadway Puts on a Show". Everyone from director <BR>
            to theate=
r owner to box-office staff and public relations people was <BR>
            included=20=
-- everyone, significantly, except the musicians.  This is <BR>
            hardly th=
e first time that musicians were threatened with machines <BR>
            around co=
ntract time. As old-time producers are replaced by a new<BR>
            generatio=
n of bottom-line entertainment corporations, however, we <BR>
            are in da=
nger of losing the very handmade quality that made Broadway <BR>
            an intern=
ational destination.  New producers may find the <BR>
            requireme=
nts of such quality "archaic", but that push-cart  <BR>
            mentality=
 informed a creative community. And it's heart is walking <BR>
            the Broad=
way streets today.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>