[NEohioPAL]WARNING: The Economy Stinks!

Richard B Ingraham rbingraham at juno.com
Sun Mar 23 21:46:49 PST 2003

----__JNP_000_0403.76c2.764b

Just to put one more viewpoint into the mix.

I have to agree here with Martin's comments.  I personally have been
affected by two of the "closings".  I was slated to design sound for both
"Raised in Captivity" at Dobama and "Three Tall Women" at Ensemble.  Not
only were these two shows that I was looking forward to artistically, but
believe it or not, I try to make a living as a Freelance Sound Designer.
With the loss of these two shows, I'm now left wondering how exactly I
will be "paying the bills" in April.  But I certainly don't hold the
administration of either of the two theatre companies responsible.  Yes
it is their job to see to the financial obligations as well as the
artistic obligations of the theatre company, but the old saying of "you
can't get blood from a turnip" comes to mind.  Plus we're all human, and
we all make mistakes.  I certainly make mistakes in some choices for my
sound designs on occasion.  (shock!, Horror!!  :-))  So I certainly can
not expect a theatre's administration to make "no" mistakes, especially
given the current financial situation, that Martin points out so well.

To answer one of the questions from Kato Buss...Yes I'm sure the local
theatres do depend at least somewhat on ticket sales from the "general
public" to fulfill their financial goals.  What percentage of their
overall season budget is actually based on "projected" ticket sales
varies from theatre to theatre.  Just as no theatre company, with the
exception of a small handful of "for profit" Broadway type shows, depends
totally on ticket revenue to keep the bills paid, I'm sure none of them,
with maybe the possible exception of educational theatre (like college,
or high school programs), depend solely on public and private grants and
gifts to cover their expenses.  Even with my limited knowledge of
"marketing and ticket sales" I can see the lower ticket sales, a problem
that has been going on for some time now, long before a war in Iraq, 911,
etc.  Although I'm sure these events certainly haven't made the task of
working around slumping tickets sales any easier.

One gut reaction to Ms. Eisenstein's comments.  While it would be great
if the theatres that are dark could "open their doors" to other
organizations or production companies, keep in mind that even that will
cost money, even if your just doing a simple reading.  Just to do a
simple reading, you need to turn on lights (at least work lights, but I
guess you want something a little less "ugly" than some work lights), the
audience will need to use the rest rooms, lobby lights will be needed,
etc.  All this costs money, somebody would have to pay for the
electricity, water, etc.  If these companies can not afford to produce
the rest of their seasons, I don't think they should be expected to
"house" other companies, unless the guests are able to pay for the
incurred expenses.  But that's probably just the Department Supervisor in
me, left over from my days at The Cleveland Play House, and I certainly
don't speak for any of the theatres in question.  :-))

Sorry if I've put anybody to sleep.  This is just a subject I've been
thinking much about lately due the circumstances.

Richard B. Ingraham
Free-lance Sound Design/Engineer/Technician
RBI Computers & Audio
email at: RBIngraham at juno.com
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com
http://www.mp3.com/rbiproductions

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 15:25:11 -0800 (PST) Martin Friedman