[NEohioPAL]Re: The Economy Stinks, etc...etc...etc.....

FosterDeux at aol.com FosterDeux at aol.com
Wed Mar 26 07:44:43 PST 2003

--part1_1cb.5ecd941.2bb22b0d_boundary

I never have sent a public response to any threads that I have seen on the
Neohiopal list, perhaps because I fundamentally believe that my opinion is
important to me and my friends (sometimes), but not necessarily important to
the theatre community as a whole.  I would  prefer to gripe and complain to
those around me, forcing them alone to pretend that they care about what I
have to say (sometimes).

This time however, I feel the urge to weigh in on Mr. Mazzarino's comments.
Why use this forum to challenge an artistic director's choice of programming?
 Collectively, perhaps, but to single out a single producer/director and
question his choices in this forum seems to me to be a tad inappropriate.
Into the Woods is one of my favorite shows, and I have not seen a good
professional production of it in Cleveland in quite a few years.  If you have
Maryann Angel and Paul Florin and other great talent - you do a show that you
feel will show them off. And perhaps Mr. Friedman had to cancel a season, not
because he chose Sondheim (please), but perhaps because he treats his actors
well and pays his actors (non- equity and otherwise) far and above what they
could get at any other Pact level house.  And it seems that we are
contradicting ourselves  a bit.  Should Artistic Directors program known
commodities and "older but real gems" or should they "take a chance and do
something new"?  I will leave that up to them.  That's what they re paid for.
 And in spite of Mayfield High School's and my own production at Memorial
Junior High of Into the Woods, I still think that something can be gained
from watching professional actors tackle a challenging piece.

David Robeano
Email:  Fosterdeux at aol.com
<A HREF="www.davidrobeano.com">www.davidrobeano.com</A>

"Take a deep breath of life and consider how it is to be lived..." - Don
Quixote

--part1_1cb.5ecd941.2bb22b0d_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  COLOR=3D"#8000ff" SIZE=3D3 FAMILY=
=3D"SCRIPT" FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS" LANG=3D"0">I never have sent a public res=
ponse to any threads that I have seen on the Neohiopal list, perhaps because=
 I fundamentally believe that my opinion is important to me and my friends (=
sometimes), but not necessarily important to the theatre community as a whol=
e.  I would  prefer to gripe and complain to those around me, forc=
ing them alone to pretend that they care about what I have to say (sometimes=
).<BR>
<BR>
This time however, I feel the urge to weigh in on Mr. Mazzarino's comments.&=
nbsp; Why use this forum to challenge an artistic director's choice of progr=
amming?  Collectively, perhaps, but to single out a single producer/dir=
ector and question his choices in this forum seems to me to be a tad inappro=
priate.  <I>Into the Woods</I> is one of my favorite shows, and I have=20=
not seen a good professional production of it in Cleveland in quite a few ye=
ars.  If you have Maryann Angel and Paul Florin and other great talent=20=
- you do a show that you feel will show them off. And perhaps Mr. Friedman h=
ad to cancel a season, not because he chose Sondheim (please), but perhaps b=
ecause he treats his actors well and pays his actors (non- equity and otherw=
ise) far and above what they could get at any other Pact level house. =20=
And it seems that we are contradicting ourselves  a bit.  Should A=
rtistic Directors program known commodities and "older but real gems" or sho=
uld they "take a chance and do something new"?  I will leave that up to=
 them.  That's what they re paid for.  And in spite of Mayfield Hi=
gh School's and my own production at Memorial Junior High of <I>Into the Woo=
ds,</I> I still think that something can be gained from watching professiona=
l actors tackle a challenging piece.<BR>
<BR>
<P ALIGN=3DCENTER></FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#8000ff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:=
 #ffffff" SIZE=3D4 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"LibertyD" LANG=3D"0">David R=
obeano<BR>
Email:  Fosterdeux at aol.com<BR>
<A HREF=3D"www.davidrobeano.com">www.davidrobeano.com</A></FONT><FONT  COLOR=
=3D"#8000ff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D4 FAMILY=3D"SCRIPT"=20=
FACE=3D"LegerD" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
<BR>
"Take a deep breath of life and consider how it is to be lived..." - Don Qui=
xote<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#8000ff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2=
 FAMILY=3D"SCRIPT" FACE=3D"LegerD" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#8000ff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
<BR>
</P></FONT></HTML>
--part1_1cb.5ecd941.2bb22b0d_boundary--