[NEohioPAL]The Economy Stinks and so does a lot of other things

LissyGulick at aol.com LissyGulick at aol.com
Thu Mar 27 10:20:04 PST 2003

Dear Ones,
    Following this thread has been extremely interesting -- and I hope to
contribute another dimension to the discussion, hopefully to spur us artistic
types into some creative brainstorming and problem-solving re: our economic
dilemma.
    I am a rabidly-loyal native Clevelander and locally-known performer (see
link below). As well, for the past 25 years, I have had the privilege (and
usually, pleasure!) of serving on the board of a charitable foundation which
has lent heavy support to the arts in northeast Ohio (I am the foundation's
resident squeaky wheel when it comes to supporting the arts in northeast
Ohio).
    Our final 2002 grant-making meeting was one of the longest, and THE most
heavy-hearted, that I can remember: because the foundation's portfolio had
taken a dive just like every one else's, we were not able to fund, or fully
support, the organizations (arts and others) that we most wanted to. We had
to reduce or in some cases eliminate grants we would otherwise readily have
funded; worse, we had to turn down requests from several new artistic
organizations. As the local-artist and arts-activist, that really HURT!
     But faced with the choice between funding EITHER a beloved arts
organization, OR a crucial social-service provider-- I had to think like the
rabidly-loyal Clevelander.
    The question now is, how can we step into both roles at the same time?
Can't we put on both the local-artist's and the loyal-resident's ballcaps (as
well as our thinking caps) and generate some creative solutions?
    For starters, using the model of an umbrella organization such as Greater
Cleveland Community Shares, I am wondering if at least some local producing
entities could form some sort of consortium, under one roof. Expenses and
talent could be shared and pooled instead of duplicated. One medium-sized
foundation grant to one such an entity would go a lot farther, and have far
more impact, than the same money split among, say, three producers -- and
(wearing my "foundation" ballcap) it sure beats having to turn down a fourth!

Yours in the faith,

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/lissygulick/Lissy_Gulick.html">Lissy Gulick
</A>