[NEohioPAL]Arts Partnership for Vital Cuyahoga County Programs

Bodwin Theatre bodwin_theatre at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 14 10:44:04 PDT 2003

List:  I'd like to raise an important point for the arts community.  On May
6, Cuyahoga County voters will vote on Issue 15, a levy for Health and Human
Services. While the theater and arts community is diverse, the Community
Partnership for Arts and Culture, as well as many individuals in the arts
community, strongly support Issue 15. As an artist or performer, I know you
share the view that the arts improve our community's quality of life by
providing arts and culture that build the economy, improve education, and
lift the spirit.  In that same way, the health and human services sector
improves quality of life by standing in the gap for tens of thousands of
citizens who need basic human services to live. We are partners in improving
the life of Cuyahoga County's residents.  The arts community has been
talking about the need for public funding for the arts, arguing that artists
are a vital partner in the community. I am writing to encourage members to
demonstrate the strength of that partnership.

Please support Issue 15. You can help by forwarding this note on to any
email list contacts you have that share these goals; writing a letter to
your local paper; attending an issue 15 fundraiser (sponsored by the
Coalition for Greater Cleveland's Children, on April 10 from 8 AM to 10 AM
at Positive Education Center, Midtown Center, 3134 Euclid Avenue,
Cleveland); volunteering to help (we need 50 volunteers on Thursday, May 1
to make phone calls to voters asking them to support Issue 15). Here's what
the levy will help provide:

* Services for Children, such as promoting health and development for
prenatal babies through 5 year olds, foster care for abused children and
treatment for emotionally disturbed youth.  Without Issue 15, support for
more than 10,000 children and young adults would be cut.  Reductions would
be made in programs that help abused and neglected children, quality
childcare, foster care and parent training. Our nationally ranked program
that provides health care screening for prenatal babies through 5 year olds
and helps ensure they are ready to begin school would be severely impacted.

* Services for Seniors, so they have home health care, can continue to live
independently in their homes, and be protected from abuse and exploitation.
Without Issue 15, more than 1,000 seniors per year would lose their ability
to live independently at home. Additionally, in-home services for thousands
of frail, low-income adults would be jeopardized potentially leaving many
more seniors vulnerable to neglectful or dangerous living conditions.

* MetroHealth Medical Center's Comprehensive Burn Care Center, Metro Life
Flight and the level one trauma center.  If not funded. MetroHealth will not
be able to adequately serve more adults as they lose medical coverage (as a
result of State cuts, around 7,000 working parents will lose medical
coverage and another 100,000 adults will lose other vital medical services).

Without Issue 15, our health care safety net system is at risk:.
Issue 15 is a sound investment on behalf of vulnerable children, seniors,
and others who need health and human services. Your vote FOR Issue 15 will
bring $170 million from the State of Ohio. For the average county homeowner,
the added cost is under $8 per month; in Cleveland, it’s under $3 per month.
That's a small price to pay for maintaining a caring, compassionate, safer
community.

For Cuyahoga County residents, please mark the date:  May 6, Vote FOR Issue
15.  Thanks for the opportunity to raise these important points.

Kevin Cronin
Managing Director, Bodwin Theatre Company
One the web: http://bodwin_theatre.tripod.com