[NEohioPAL]DELETE NOW: The Mike & Ike Interviews Volume #1

Jeff Holland profbobo at neo.rr.com
Sat Apr 19 01:32:14 PDT 2003

------=_NextPart_000_00AF_01C30619.232237E0

WARNING:  THE FOLLOWING INTERVIEWS WERE RATED PG-13 BY BOTH OPRAH AND =
HER BOOK CLUB, BARBERA WALTERS, AND EVEN JERRY SPRINGER.  CHEVY CHASE, =
HOWEVER, SEEMED TO LOVE THEM.  HMMM.

"MY POP TART WITH FRED"

MIKE:  Fred Sternfeld, man, legend, board game.

IKE:  He put the PAL in NEohioPAL.

M:  Okay, that might be taking it a bit too far.

I:  Come on, it's got that Rogers and Hammersteinny show tune feel all =
over it.  (SINGING WITH FULL ORCHESTRAL ACCOMPIANMENT) HE BRINGS THE =
BUCKS TO BECK CENTER HE PUTS THE PAL IN NEOHIOPAL!

LONG  PAUSE

M:  Where did that orchestra come from?

I:  My mind.

M:  Moving on:  Fred Stenfeld is a good man; a fine man--

I:(SINGING WITH FULL ACCOMPIANMENT) AND HE GOES GREAT WITH THREE GLASSES =
OF CHIATI . . .  AND SOME FAVAR BEANS!

M:  Shut up!

I:  I don't know what the deal is.   I haven't spontaneously busted out =
inta music since . . .aw, shit!  We gotta concept piece comin'

M:  I thought I felt a deep sense of dread.    =20

I:  This is gonna be Godot 2:Electric Bugaloo I know it.

M:  All right, no reason to panic.  Let's focus on the job.  Recently, =
Fred agreed to rip up the restraining orders and sit down with us for a =
few moments.  We were told to meet him at a performance of La Cage =
Saturday night.  We go there, no Fred, but we are told that he is at a =
rehearsal for Fiddler on the Roof on the other side of town.  We go =
there, several burly men with beards but no Fred, then we're told he =
took off for a bit to rehearse his one man version of Marat/Sade, which =
apparently he only practices while driving. =20

I:  After 2 1/2 hours of driving along Cleveland and the surrounding =
areas, getting carjilled (Nowhere near as bad.  They have weapons, but =
they usually just want to go to Playhouse Square and they tip well), and =
seein' way too many Cher signs.

M:  Well, this is her farewell tour.

I:  The eighth year of it.  Anyway, we finally cornered him in a Taco =
Bell drive through line and were able to get a few questions out before =
he drove off, so here they are

 =20
Mike:  Mr. Sternfeld, in surfing  your website we discovered that you've =
done going on 50 plays within the last month.  My question to you, sir =
is--

Ike:  When the hell do you sleep?

FRED: I don't sleep. I try to sometimes but it gets in the way of doing =
another show. =20

Actually I used to do only one or two shows a year, but now that I am a =
silent partner in the chemical business and am devoting myself =
exclusively to theatre, I decided to take on more.  I admit though that =
five in a one year period (from man who came to dinner to fiddler) is a =
little much.  I doubt if I will do as many in the next year.  But, I am =
having a blast with the different projects I have taken on.  I feel =
lucky to have the opportunity to do this kind of work.=20

Mike:  Well. your production of La Cage Aux Folles, based on the movie =
The Birdcage, is up and running and from what our blackmailed informants =
tell us it is a smash hit with standing ovations every night.  =
Especially after that idiotic review in Cleveland Scene.  My favorite =
bit:  She gets a bug up her butt about the signs being in English and =
making some sort of  thinly veiled political comment by comparing this =
to John Ashcroft.  Sweetie, the reason all the signs are in English is =
because the rest of the play is too.  I have no problem with you =
advancing your own agendas but at least try and make sense while doing =
it.

I:  Get to the point, he finished ordering.

M:  You must be feeling pretty good about yourself right now .
=20
FRED:  Actually La Cage was adapted from the original play by Jean =
Poiret, then made into a popular French movie that was released in the =
seventies.  The Birdcage was a recent update and adaptation that place =
the events in Florida rather than France.  And that happened even before =
all the "freedom" replacements lately.  Go figure.=20

Your informants are right. It is a smash hit with standing ovations =
every night. And it is selling huge. I hope your readers will get an =
opportunity to see it before it closes on April 19th.

What is rewarding about the experience is that I had a wonderful time =
working with the cast and production staff to create the show, to see =
the audience being entertained and moved by the humor, spectacle and the =
play's message of love, acceptance and tolerance.
=20
M: After all the shows you've directed, do you still (Or ever) get that =
lump in your throat opening night when you have to give up your baby?=20

FRED:  I always get a lump in my throat but not because I am giving =
something up. Opening night is always a night of excitement and fear - =
to see for the first time whether what I thought was working really does =
work with the audience. After the show opens, I tend to go to a lot of =
performances because I am a student of audiences and I learn a lot about =
what works and what doesn't from their reactions.=20

I:  Anybody in the cast you want to kill?
=20
FRED:  No. It is a wonderful cast. Talented, easy to work with, no prima =
donnas, and they are loving being together. Many nights after rehearsals =
and performances they close the Rush Inn across the street, and on =
Wednesdays many of them perform karaoke for each other at Kronie's next =
door. They made me get up one week and sing 'Cat's in the Cradle.'  =
Someone recorded me and I'm told bootleg copies are available. Ouch...
=20
I:  Anybody in the cast want to kill anybody?  Lemmie know, I'm =
freelancing

Not that I'm aware of, but I'll ask around.

I:  That guy in the first window just gave me the finger!  Oh, I got =
sumthin' for him!

M:  You'll be starting Fiddler on the Roof soon I believe.  Using that =
as an example:  You just got the job directing the show.  Before you =
meet with your tech people, before you bring in actor's and it all goes =
to hell, what's the first thing you do?

FRED:  Read the play -- a bunch of times.

Then I analyze the play to determine the central action and themes and =
try to come up with some defining metaphors that help me visualize the =
show.=20

I:  I have no idea what you just said, but damn it sounded cool.

M:  What was the night you everyone saw the guys in their costumes for =
the first time like?

FRED:  It was very exciting to see how completely transformed some of =
the guys looked after donning costumes and make-up.  There were several =
I didn't recognize. The cast was SO ready for costumes by the time we =
got them. With this show in particular the costumes were integral to =
helping the cast develop their characters. They used rehearsal skirts =
and high heels early on as well.=20

M:  I believe you're beginning Fiddler on the Roof now.  How difficult =
is it to go from transvestites to men with large beards?

FRED:  Not difficult at all. Behind the transvestites and beards are =
very human stories that need to be told.  La Cage being about love, =
acceptance and tolerance and Fiddler about the durability of the human =
spirit and adapting to a changing world.   Also, Fiddler is part of my =
heritage. My ancestors lived in shtetls in Poland and Russia in the =
early 1900's and were subject to the persecution and pogroms.=20

I:  All right, let's get onto the stuff that really matters.  What did =
ya think the first time ya read one of our reviews?

FRED:  I thought they were funny and insightful. Unlike some of your =
critics, I totally got the parody flavor of the writing.  You two are =
like the Abbott and Costello of theatre critics. Now that I've said all =
that will you promise not to write anything negative about my shows?=20

I:  If the check clears we're good to go!

M:  And then he was gone, with a wave of his hand and a Gordita in his =
mouth, off to share his vast knowledge to those lucky few he deigns =
worthy to enlighten.  I was only with him for a few moments, and I =
already feel different somehow.  Like I've reached a new plateau of =
evolution.

I:  The check clear?

M:  Oh, yeah!

"MORE BANG FOR YOUR BUCK"=20
=20
IKE: Recently, we sent J. Claude Crumbumple--reporter, columnist, and =
occasional Psychiatric Outpatient--out to interview JT Buck, director of =
the Aurora Community The-ater's production of Rodger's and Hammerstein's =
tribute to excessive whiteness "State Fair." Somewhere, however, wires =
were crossed and he wound up in Iraq, which works cause we were gonna =
send him there anyway and this way we don't gotta pay for it. Thankfully =
he has a lap top and was able to do the interview that way.=20
=20