[NEohioPAL]Drumplay and Daniel Thompson @ AJ Rocco's espresso bar - May 24

Oonawolf at aol.com Oonawolf at aol.com
Fri May 23 11:48:23 PDT 2003

Greetings, everyone.

As some of you may know, Daniel Thompson, poet laureate Cuyahoga County, is
back in town from his stint in Phoenix, AZ; and he will be performing with
Drumplay, tomorrow night, May 24, at AJ Rocco's Espresso Bar at 816 Huron Road,
just west of East Ninth Street, in the Caxton Building, downtown Cleveland.

Drumplay will be performing from 9:00 p.m. to midnight, with two sets of
world music and poetry.  Very special guest, Joshua Smith, saxophonist for Birth,
winner of last year's Scene Music Awards for Best Jazz Act 2002, will be
sitting in.  Joshua Smith is one of the Young Lions of Jazz, and should not be
missed.

Later, at midnight, we will move our instruments down the hall in the same
building to the newly-revived Wilbert's at 812 Huron Road, to the rear and east
side of the building.  This is a nicer space than the old Wilbert's, with
better sight lines, a nicer stage and better ambience.  I think they will do well
in this location.  Kung Fusion opens.  Drumplay performs from midnight to 2:00
a.m.

These will be our last gigs before our European tour, beginning June 5.

To reiterate to this e-group of several months ago, Daniel Thompson suffers
from leukemia; but it is in remission.  Although at last week's Hessler Street
Fair, Daniel was not feeling well; and he missed the last day of that event,
resting at home.  Who knows what time any of us have left?

I am pleased to announce that Drumplay has been invited to return to Festival
Internationale de Musique Universitaire in Belfort, France.  This is a major
festival with over 60,000 people attending.  Based on the strength of our
lastest CD "Under the Map of the World Where I Sleep", we are returning for the
second straight year.  This is a huge honor.

Although the French may be upset with our politicians, they are embracing us
as artists and musicians.  Daniel Thompson's poetry, which speaks to the human
condition, resonates.  Please go to www.fimu.com for more information.

Drumplay will be at F.I.M.U. performing all three days, June 7, 8 and 9.  We
will be joined by Benoit Moerlen of the old Gong "Expresso" days, and of late,
Gongzilla, for these dates.  The band and bard then go on to Luxembourg,
Belgium, Germany and Holland, ending our tour June 19, in Amsterdam.  This last
concert is being produced by Theater de Cameleon in Amsterdam.  Please go to
www.decameleon.nl.  Click on Agenda and then the month of June, for more info.

After our European adventures, Daniel Thompson takes our music and poetry to
Festival des Rabat in Morocco, beginning June 20.  Given Daniel's history and
connection with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.; our collective philosophy of
finding non-violent solutions to world conflict; and our goal of bringing
alternative American voices to other countries and cultures, we definitely feel a
higher purpose for going on this, our second European trip..  We are calling this
our "Message to Moslem" Tour.

Please say a prayer for our success and well-being.  Better yet, come down to
the Caxton Building on May 24 to wish us good thoughts and a bon voyage.  We
represent YOU - those U. S. citizens who feel in their hearts that war is not
the answer to long-held prejudices and hatred.  We need to win minds and
hearts, and come together as a human family living on Planet Earth.  I hope our
music and poetry can aid in that effort.

See you tomorrow night, May 24 @ 9:00 p.m., AJ Rocco's Espresso Bar, 816
Huron Road, Cleveland, Ohio - and midnight @ Wilbert's  If anyone has any
questions, please feel free to contact me at 216-429-1152.

Peace, No War.

James Onysko

P. S.  Congratulations to the "new" Free Times.  It's great to see that paper
again.