[NEohioPAL]CTC on Public Funding for the Arts

MargLynch at aol.com MargLynch at aol.com
Sat Aug 9 22:29:10 PDT 2003

--part1_a9.45e25c76.2c67100a_boundary

The response to our last e-mail suggests that more information needs to be
shared more widely about the issue of public funding for the arts and its
relationship to the convention center issue.  We will try to pass on information
when we have it.  Although the arts community is gaining in
political power, know-how, and presence, the idea is that we also have to
work within what might be feasible at this point. Public funding for the arts is
very likely to be coupled with the convention center on an upcoming ballot;
that's a reality.  But the Community Partnership for Arts and Culture is
strongly and actively advocating to protect public funding for the arts within the
larger economic development package that will be presented as a sales tax levy.
Intense lobbying is occurring, for instance, to make sure there is a cap for
the amount of revenue that would go to the Convention Center.  The remainder
of the money, earmarked for economic development, would be split between four
entities--the city, the county, a high-tech development fund, and the arts.
The Community Partnership for Arts and Culture is lobbying to make sure that the
money is split equitably between these four entities.  The County
Commissioners have endorsed an equitable division.  CPAC asks for our further assistance,
writing:

"Given recent developments, we need to make sure that Mayor Jane Campbell,
Council President Frank Jackson, and Mayor Bruce Akers hear from us (call, fax
letters).  Key messages are:
-- We are aware of the Commissioners' latest proposal for a four-way, equal
split of the tax dollars generated by the proposed tax increase.
-- The arts and cultural community has always believed that an equal split is
the fairest and most equitable.
-- If an equitable process is decided, the arts and cultural leaders, their
board, staff, members and audiences will rally behind this issue.
-- Please seriously consider supporting an equal 25% split.

Contact Information:

The Honorable Council President Frank Jackson
Cleveland City Council
601 Lakeside Avenue NE
Cleveland, OH  44114
phone] 216-664-2840
fax]  216-664-3837

The Honorable Mayor Jane Campbell
City of Cleveland
601 Lakeside Avenue
Cleveland, OH  44114
phone]  216-664-6420
fax]  216-664-2815

Mayor Bruce Akers
President, Mayors and Managers Association
10107 Brecksville Rd.
Brecksville, OH  44141
phone] 440-526-3433
fax]  440-526-5979

Please make notes of the following important dates:
Aug 13 - Cleveland City Council will have their final meeting to address
these issues
Aug 19 - the Board of County Commissioners will have their final meeting to
discuss the details of the economic development package."

Send an electronic copy of any letters you write to CPAC at cpac2001 at aol.com

--part1_a9.45e25c76.2c67100a_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2>The response to our last=20=
e-mail suggests that more information needs to be shared more widely about t=
he issue of public funding for the arts and its relationship to the conventi=
on center issue.  We will try to pass on information when we have it. &=
nbsp;Although the arts community is gaining in
<BR>political power, know-how, and presence, the idea is that we also have t=
o work within what might be feasible at this point. Public funding for the a=
rts is very likely to be coupled with the convention center on an upcoming b=
allot; that's a reality.  But the Community Partnership for Arts and Cu=
lture is strongly and actively advocating to protect public funding for the=20=
arts within the larger economic development package that will be presented a=
s a sales tax levy.  Intense lobbying is occurring, for instance, to ma=
ke sure there is a cap for the amount of revenue that would go to the Conven=
tion Center.  The remainder of the money, earmarked for economic develo=
pment, would be split between four entities--the city, the county, a high-te=
ch development fund, and the arts.  The Community Partnership for Arts=20=
and Culture is lobbying to make sure that the money is split equitably betwe=
en these four entities.  The County Commissioners have endorsed an equi=
table division.  CPAC asks for our further assistance, writing:
<BR>
<BR>"Given recent developments, we need to make sure that Mayor Jane Campbel=
l, Council President Frank Jackson, and Mayor Bruce Akers hear from us (call=
, fax letters).  Key messages are:
<BR>-- We are aware of the Commissioners' latest proposal for a four-way, eq=
ual split of the tax dollars generated by the proposed tax increase.=20
<BR>-- The arts and cultural community has always believed that an equal spl=
it is the fairest and most equitable.
<BR>-- If an equitable process is decided, the arts and cultural leaders, th=
eir board, staff, members and audiences will rally behind this issue.
<BR>-- Please seriously consider supporting an equal 25% split.
<BR>
<BR>Contact Information:
<BR>
<BR>The Honorable Council President Frank Jackson
<BR>Cleveland City Council
<BR>601 Lakeside Avenue NE
<BR>Cleveland, OH  44114
<BR>phone] 216-664-2840
<BR>fax]  216-664-3837
<BR>
<BR>The Honorable Mayor Jane Campbell
<BR>City of Cleveland
<BR>601 Lakeside Avenue
<BR>Cleveland, OH  44114
<BR>phone]  216-664-6420
<BR>fax]  216-664-2815
<BR>
<BR>Mayor Bruce Akers
<BR>President, Mayors and Managers Association
<BR>10107 Brecksville Rd.
<BR>Brecksville, OH  44141
<BR>phone] 440-526-3433
<BR>fax]  440-526-5979
<BR>
<BR>Please make notes of the following important dates:
<BR>Aug 13 - Cleveland City Council will have their final meeting to address=
 these issues
<BR>Aug 19 - the Board of County Commissioners will have their final meeting=
 to discuss the details of the economic development package."
<BR>
<BR>Send an electronic copy of any letters you write to CPAC at cpac2001 at aol=
.com
<BR></FONT></HTML>

--part1_a9.45e25c76.2c67100a_boundary--