[NEohioPAL]Filming in DV - an Intensive 2 Day Production Workshop

Bill cinevid at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 07:32:57 PDT 2003

--0-1313562382-1062772377=:4168

Filming in DV is not an oxymoron like Military Intelligence or Honest Politician. It is however, an aesthetic approach to movie making that realizes that even though we so often have to shoot in DV, we don't have to settle for 'video' quality.

There is such a proliferation of DV fare out there, that the serious filmmaker should do everything they can to set their films apart from the crowd. And part of that, is using lighting and post FX to create a film ambience that makes an audience feel like they're watching a real movie, not a home video, or surveillance camera. And more importantly, will get the attention of a distributor or film festival judge. Many decently written and well acted films are immediately discounted for their lack of good lighting and their video look.

However, I also understand that it's hard to trust anyone who offers these seminars. Many are a waste of time and money (been there, done those), but I can't help feeling there's a real need for this training and for the longest time I've been wanting to have a workshop/seminar that does it right.

Over the past three decades, I have been Director of Photography/Cameraman on four feature length films, and have shot on everything from 35mm to 16mm to 8mm film as well as BetaSP and MiniDV video. I am a seasoned editor on NLE's from Adobe Premier and Vegas Video to several Avid Media Composer configurations. I have years of experience working with Adobe AfterFX and Lightwave3D and have even done many special FX from Squibs to Explosions, to prosthetics and make-up. My films have won awards and opened festivals and I just recently won a Telly and Regional Emmy for my videography even though I very rarely enter anything in contests.

I know that sounds like a lot of stuff, but in 50 years you pick up a few things...

Anyway, my point is, that in all my experiences, I always seemed to encounter a lot of people who struggle, not knowing what they are doing or even where to learn. Perhaps now is an ideal time to share what I've learned and help my peers raise the bar of quality on their own productions.

I would love to hear some feedback on this idea. Please feel free to email me directly if you have an interest in attending. I'll be starting in the Cleveland, OH area but will branch out as the need arises... if the need arises.

Bill Johns - cinevid at yahoo.com
Cinevid Productions
www.cinevidproductions.com
www.psyclonethemovie.com
SOMETIMES THOSE WHO CAN, SHOULD TEACH AS WELL