[NEohioPAL]REMINDER -- New Voices for the Theatre Oct. 20-22

Marjorie Preston, PR/Marketing Director mpreston at dobama.org
Mon Oct 20 13:20:46 PDT 2003

On the heels of last night's fun and educational chat with The Domino Heart
playwright Matthew Edison...

An October Special Event at Dobama Theatre, 1846 Coventry Road, Cleveland
Heights
Tonight through Wednesday only!

New Voices for the Theatre
Readings of New Work by Cleveland Playwrights!

October 20th, 21st and 22nd at 7:30 p.m.
$5 suggested donation at the door

Monday, Oct. 20th	4 Minutes to Happy written and performed by Sarah Morton
Tuesday, Oct. 21st	The Woodpecker's Duck written and performed by Joel
Hammer
Wednesday, Oct. 22nd	Swann by Sandra Perlman and featuring Robert Hawkes,
Catherine Albers, Courtney Schloss, Kelly Elliot and Joshua Brown

4 Minutes to Happy by Sarah Morton – Monday, October 20th
"I've always been a good test taker," says our over-achieving narrator. So
what happens when she flunks a doctor-administered depression test? In this
comic and revealing solo piece, one woman sets out on a quest for the
perfect way to "get happy," trying everything from hot showers to hip-hop.
Will she succeed? A poetic and timely look at the pitfalls and detours we
sometimes encounter on the road to happiness.

The Woodpecker’s Duck by Joel Hammer – Tuesday, October 21st
The Woodpecker’s Duck explores how we learn about sex, how we equate sex and
love, and how our earliest sexual experiences influence our ability or
inability to connect with others.  It focuses on what is considered good and
bad behavior through the eyes of: the playwright, Mark Twain, Joycelyn
Elders, and the woman from Ypsilanti, Michigan.  Throughout the play, a
fable of love is interwoven between the woodpecker and the duck.

Swann by Sandra Perlman – Wednesday, October 22nd
A young girl comes to a bridge to jump, or is it just to find one more good
reason to live?  Elizabeth Wolff impetuously takes the young Isabel Swann
off with her into the New Mexico desert, hoping to find one good reason for
this girl not to jump from the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge.  But when the women
run out of gas, they must spend the night with a man and his son who have
come to the desert to escape all the reasons to live the women have ever
known.

FREE PARKING AT THE MEDIC LOT FOR THE ENTIRE RUN OF BOTH NEW VOICES FOR THE
THEATRE AND THE PLAY ROY BERKO CALLED "A MUST SEE" -- THE DOMINO HEART!
COME DOWN AND SEE SOME GREAT THEATRE THIS WEEK AT DOBAMA THEATRE.

Marjorie Preston
PR/Marketing Director
Dobama Theatre
(216) 932-6838
www.dobama.org

DOBAMATHEATREDOBAMATHEATREDOBAMATHEATREDOBAMATHEATREDOBAMATHEATREDOBAMATHEAT
REDOBAMATHEATREDOBAMATHEATREDOBAMATHEATRE

Dobama Theatre is proud to present:
October 17-November 9  The Domino Heart by Matthew Edison, directed by Joyce
Casey – U.S. Premiere!
We meet a trio of characters connected by a single heart – including the
widow of a man killed in a car crash, a minister and a young advertising
executive.  Cara Fortree, university professor and mother, is widowed when
her husband is suddenly killed in a car accident.  Reverend Mortimer Wright
is sleepless in his hospital room.  Young advertising executive Leo Juarez
is camped out in his corporate office in Chicago.  In the night sky above, a
helicopter carries the organ that will connect them all.
"A must-see" -- Roy Berko, The Times Newspapers

November 28-December 21	V-E Day by local playwright Faye Sholiton, directed
by Jacqi Loewy  Winner of the Arlene R. and William P. Lewis Playwriting
Contest at BYU!  World Premiere! A salute to "the greatest generation."

January 16-February 8	Raised in Captivity by Nicky Silver, directed Russ
Borski  Ohio Premiere! Quirky, bizarre comedy!

March 5-28	In the Heart of America by MacArthur Grant winner Naomi Wallace,
directed by Sonya Robbins  Ohio Premiere! War drama raising timely
questions.

April 23-May 16  The Last Five Years  by Tony Award winner Jason Robert
Brown, directed by Victoria Bussert and featuring Scott Plate and Carol
Dunne  Ohio Premiere! Lovely two-person musical charting a relationship.

Dobama Theatre is located at 1846 Coventry Road in Cleveland Heights.

Single ticket prices: $11-20.
Subscriptions: (216) 932-6838.
Reservations: (216) 932-3396.