[NEohioPAL]Rave Review of PERSONALS at Actors' Summit

Thackaberr at aol.com Thackaberr at aol.com
Wed Feb 18 13:36:59 PST 2004

-------------------------------1077140219

'Personals' may be personal best
for Actors' Summit Theater

By David Ritchey
HUDSON -- From the first moment their eyes meet until someone slams the door
and leaves, relationships should be accompanied by music. For some people that
happens -- their lives are set to music.
"Personals," playing at Actors' Summit Theater through Feb. 22, provides
music for the rhythm of relationships and is a marvelous musical revue. It's a
must-see. "Personals" should be required viewing for anyone who has ever perused
for love through the personal ads, those modern-day documents to loneliness
and disillusionment often used by those unsuccessful at meeting that someone
special.
The lyrics for "Personals" were written by NBC hit show "Friends" creators
David Crane and Marta Kauffman, along with Seth Friedman. Their words can
generate show-stopping laughter from the audience or, in a heartbeat, bring a lump
to the throat and a tear to the eye. The music, written by William Dreskin,
Joel Friedman, Seth Friedman, Alan Menken, Steven Schwartz and Michael Skloff,
offers a rich variety of rhythms.
In this musical revue, the marriage of music and lyrics is superior when the
songs grow out of the blues tradition. In the song "Michael," a woman calls
her ex-husband and begs him to "marry me again ... I'm so lonely." That's the
mean-red blues that hurt all the way back to the first time your eyes lock on
that other person.
The authors have given the characters pain and a strong sense of humor. One
character declares, "You passed through my life like a kidney stone." That line
evokes an image that should make anyone's "ex" cringe.
In a big, splashy dance number, the six performers sing "I'd Rather Dance
Alone," each dancing with a well-costumed blow-up doll. At the end of the number,
the dolls are tossed in a heap as the human characters declare their
independence from loser dates.
The six-person cast is comsposed of some of the most charming performers in
Northeast Ohio. Sandra Emerick, Pamela LaForce, Jennie Lou Oakes, Frank
Jackman, W. Jamie Koeth and Kent LeMar sing, dance and express dialogue with
sophistication and ease. I've admired Emerick's work for several years. She has a
stunning, flexible voice and the ability to act a song -- hit all of the notes and
evoke an emotion. She, alone, is worth the price of admission. However, she
is surrounded by a strong company of peers.
Some people think that only losers would write or answer a personal ad. But,
as the cast deals with some statistics about people who write personal ads and
those who respond to them, the audience learns that attractive, financially
secure people are often lonely and don't know how to meet people. Those people
often turn to the personal ads.
Director Mary Jo Alexander paces this show at a break-neck speed; neither the
cast nor the audience has a moment to let down. Alexander and her cast have
developed a variety of distinctly different characters for each performer to
play.
Neil Thackaberry (set designer) has created a set that evokes hearts, flowers
and romance. The set fits perfectly into the playing space of the Actors'
Summit facility.
Michael Flohr (musical direction) does a nice job of keeping the action
moving at a quick pace. One could only wish that this show had a piano and perhaps
a few other instruments to provide more sophisticated accompaniment for the
singers. One synthesizer doesn't provide the up-scale sound the show needs and
the audience expects.
This is the type of show that Actors' Summit does so well. Don't miss
"Personals." For ticket information, call (330) 342-0800.
David Ritchey has a Ph.D. in communications and is a professor of
communications at The University of Akron. He is a member of the American Theatre Critics
Association.

-------------------------------1077140219

<HTML xmlns:o =3D "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:st1 =3D "u=
rn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT size=3D5>'Personals' may be personal best<BR>for A=
ctors' Summit Theater <BR></DIV></FONT>
<P><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica"><FONT size=3D3>By Da=
vid Ritchey <o:p></o:p></FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><FONT size=3D3><st1:City><st1:place><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAM=
ILY: Helvetica">HUDSON</SPAN></st1:place></st1:City><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: bl=
ack; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica"> -- From the first moment their eyes meet until=
 someone slams the door and leaves, relationships should be accompanied by m=
usic. For some people that happens -- their lives are set to music. <o:p></o=
:p></SPAN></FONT></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica"><FONT size=3D3>"Pers=
onals," playing at Actors' Summit Theater through Feb. 22, provides music fo=
r the rhythm of relationships and is a marvelous musical revue. It's a must-=
see. "Personals" should be required viewing for anyone who has ever perused=20=
for love through the personal ads, those modern-day documents to loneliness=20=
and disillusionment often used by those unsuccessful at meeting that someone=
 special. <o:p></o:p></FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica"><FONT size=3D3>The l=
yrics for "Personals" were written by NBC hit show "Friends" creators David=20=
Crane and Marta Kauffman, along with Seth Friedman. Their words can generate=
 show-stopping laughter from the audience or, in a heartbeat, bring a lump t=
o the throat and a tear to the eye. The music, written by William Dreskin, J=
oel Friedman, Seth Friedman, Alan Menken, Steven Schwartz and Michael Skloff=
, offers a rich variety of rhythms. <o:p></o:p></FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica"><FONT size=3D3>In th=
is musical revue, the marriage of music and lyrics is superior when the song=
s grow out of the blues tradition. In the song "Michael," a woman calls her=20=
ex-husband and begs him to "marry me again ... I'm so lonely." That's the me=
an-red blues that hurt all the way back to the first time your eyes lock on=20=
that other person. <o:p></o:p></FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica"><FONT size=3D3>The a=
uthors have given the characters pain and a strong sense of humor. One chara=
cter declares, "You passed through my life like a kidney stone." That line e=
vokes an image that should make anyone's "ex" cringe. <o:p></o:p></FONT></SP=
AN></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica"><FONT size=3D3>In a=20=
big, splashy dance number, the six performers sing "I'd Rather Dance Alone,"=
 each dancing with a well-costumed blow-up doll. At the end of the number, t=
he dolls are tossed in a heap as the human characters declare their independ=
ence from loser dates. <o:p></o:p></FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><FONT size=3D3><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica">The s=
ix-person cast is comsposed of some of the most charming performers in </SPA=
N><st1:place><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica">Northeast=20=
Ohio</SPAN></st1:place><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica">=
. Sandra Emerick, Pamela LaForce, Jennie Lou Oakes, Frank Jackman, W. Jamie=20=
Koeth and Kent LeMar sing, dance and express dialogue with sophistication an=
d ease. I've admired Emerick's work for several years. She has a stunning, f=
lexible voice and the ability to act a song -- hit all of the notes and evok=
e an emotion. She, alone, is worth the price of admission. However, she is s=
urrounded by a strong company of peers. <o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica"><FONT size=3D3>Some=20=
people think that only losers would write or answer a personal ad. But, as t=
he cast deals with some statistics about people who write personal ads and t=
hose who respond to them, the audience learns that attractive, financially s=
ecure people are often lonely and don't know how to meet people. Those peopl=
e often turn to the personal ads. <o:p></o:p></FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica"><FONT size=3D3>Direc=
tor Mary Jo Alexander paces this show at a break-neck speed; neither the cas=
t nor the audience has a moment to let down. Alexander and her cast have dev=
eloped a variety of distinctly different characters for each performer to pl=
ay. <o:p></o:p></FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><FONT size=3D3><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica">Neil=20=
Thackaberry (set designer) has created a set that evokes hearts, flowers and=
 romance. The set fits perfectly into the playing space of the Actors' </SPA=
N><st1:City><st1:place><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica">=
Summit</SPAN></st1:place></st1:City><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY=
: Helvetica"> facility. <o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica"><FONT size=3D3>Micha=
el Flohr (musical direction) does a nice job of keeping the action moving at=
 a quick pace. One could only wish that this show had a piano and perhaps a=20=
few other instruments to provide more sophisticated accompaniment for the si=
ngers. One synthesizer doesn't provide the up-scale sound the show needs and=
 the audience expects. <o:p></o:p></FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><FONT size=3D3><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica">This=20=
is the type of show that Actors' </SPAN><st1:City><st1:place><SPAN style=3D"=
COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica">Summit</SPAN></st1:place></st1:City><S=
PAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica"> does so well. Don't miss=
 "Personals." For ticket information, call (330) 342-0800. <o:p></o:p></SPAN=
></FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3D3><I><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica">Da=
vid Ritchey has a Ph.D. in communications and is a professor of communicatio=
ns at The </SPAN></I><st1:place><st1:PlaceType><I><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: blac=
k; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica">University</SPAN></I></st1:PlaceType><I><SPAN sty=
le=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica"> of </SPAN></I><st1:PlaceName><I=
><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica">Akron</SPAN></I></st1:=
PlaceName></st1:place><I><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica=
">. He is a member of the American Theatre Critics Association.</SPAN></I><!=
--  --><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica"> <o:p></o:p></SP=