[NEohioPAL]Kalliope Stage presents Spring classes for kids and teens!

Allison Hedges ahedges at kalliopestage.com
Sat Mar 13 13:33:23 PST 2004

Kalliope Stage, the new professional musical theater
at the corner of Cedar and Lee in Cleveland Heights,
is offering its first season of classes taught by
Education Director Allison Hedges.

The Spring session runs from Saturday, March 27th thru
Saturday, May 15th, featuring the following classes
for kids and teens:

KALLIOPE KIDS (ages 8-12)
Saturdays 10:30-11:30 AM
$96

This eight-week introductory course uses creative play
to develop useful skills for the stage and beyond.
We’ll explore creative expression with theater games
that foster concentration, listening and responding,
problem solving, cooperation, and goal reaching.
Further exercises introduce improvisation, creative
storytelling, and character development, with the use
of movement, music, and art. The same skills an actor
uses onstage also build confidence and self esteem in
everyday life.

TRIPLE THREAT (ages 12-18)
Saturdays, 2:30-4:00 PM
$128

Singer, Actor, Dancer — that’s the performer who’s a
triple threat. In the world of musical theater the
triple threat is always in demand. This eight-week
course explores acting, voice, and movement with
guidance from industry professionals. We’ll target
each student’s unique talents and how to develop them
to reach a personal best. The course will culminate in
a mock audition where you’ll put new skills into
practice. Present a song on Kalliope’s stage, and
start on your way to becoming a triple threat. Bring a
notebook and sheet music for a song you know to the
first class.

TEEN IMROV (ages 12-18)
Saturdays, 12:30-2:00 PM
$128

Improvisation is the basis of sketch comedy, and it’s
one of the most challenging acting skills to master.
We’ll explore voice, movement, and character
development through interactive theater games and
exercises. There are more important things than
memorizing lines from a script. Learn to think on your
feet by sharpening your ability to listen, observe,
and respond in the moment.

"Welcome to our first season of classes at Kalliope
Stage, a place for creative self expression. A rich,
active imagination is a talent all young people should
develop. Being able to approach life creatively is a
valuable tool for success. Every Saturday we’ll
discover new ways to stretch our imaginations and have
fun while we learn." — Allison Hedges, Education
Director

Allison Hedges received her Bachelor's degree in Drama
from New York University, where she studied at the
prestigious Tisch School of the Arts. At NYU’s
graduate program in Educational Theater, she studied
with pioneers of the field including Nellie McCaslin,
Lowell Swortzell, and the children's playwright Aurand
Harris. Her dramatic studies include residencies with
New York's Circle-in-the-Square Theater School,
William Esper Studio, and London's Holborn Center for
the Performing Arts. Her professional credits began
with a co-starring role in the CBS miniseries "George
Washington II: The Forging of a Nation" with Barry
Bostwick and Patty Duke. She has continued her work in
film, television, and theater, including roles in
"Stealing Home" and "Dead Poets’ Society." Ms. Hedges
taught drama for children at Philadelphia's historic
Walnut Street Theater and directed the children’s
theater program at the Please Touch Museum. She has
directed many productions for both children and
adults, and conducted theater-in-education workshops
based on original material.  She is currently
appearing in Kalliope Stage's premiere production, "A
Grand Night for Singing."

Kalliope Stage is located at 2134 Lee Road, just off
of Cedar Road in Cleveland Heights.  For more
information about the education program, please call
Allison Hedges at (216) 321-0860 or send an email to
ahedges at kalliopestage.com.