[NEohioPAL]Berko comments: A Tribute to Marji Dodrill

Roy Berko royberko at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 19:04:49 PST 2004

A TRIBUTE TO MARJI DODRILL

Roy Berko

(Member, American Theatre Critics Association)

--THE TIMES NEWSPAPERS--

Lorain County Times--Westlaker Times--Lakewood News
Times--Olmsted-Fairview Times

Every once in a while we meet a very special person.
My life has been made better by having known Marji
Dodril.   Marji was a woman of beauty, charm,
kindness, talent and class.  Marji died on March 17.
A memorial will be held at 6 p.m. April 4 at Dobama
Theatre, 1846 Coventry Road, Cleveland Heights.

It is only fitting that Marji should be memorialized
at Dobama.  That theatre was a major part of her life.
 It, ironically, was also where I met Marji.

Dobama’s second play was Benjamin Levy’s ‘RAPE OF THE
BELT.’  Dobama had no permanent home, so they borrowed
the performing space at Chagrin Falls Little Theatre.
I was the public relations director for Dobama at the
time, and I loved to just hang around and watch Marji,
her husband to-be, Ev Dodrill, and Mary Jane Nottage
cavort.   She was wonderful in that play and in
everything else in which she performed.

Whenever I saw her, I could count on a smile and a
hug.  Even when cancer was raging in her body she was
radiant.  Her last performance, was a commercial in
support of Issue 31, a proposed arts tax which was
recently on the ballot.  She had little strength, but
she needed to do what she could for a cause for which
she had great enthusiasm.  That was Marji.

Marji may have made her last entrance and exit in this
life, but she will long be remembered by those of us
who loved and respected her.   Applause!  Bravo!
Curtain down!