[NEohioPAL]Berko preview--Shaw and Statford, (Canada) Festivals

Roy Berko royberko at yahoo.com
Wed May 12 19:53:56 PDT 2004

SHAW AND SHAKESPEARE BECKON YOU!

Roy Berko

(Member, American Theatre Critics Association)

--THE TIMES NEWSPAPERS--

Lorain County Times--Westlaker Times--Lakewood News
Times--Olmsted-Fairview Times

It’s that time of year again.  The weather is turning
nice, the orange barrels signaling road repairs are
going up, it’s vacation time.  And, if you are at all
interested in theatre, the “in” place to go for a
mega-sized offering of good productions is Canada for
the Shaw and Stratford festivals.  And, to make it
even more tempting, the Canadian dollar is still a
good buy against the US buck.

THE STRATFORD FESTIVAL OF CANADA

The Stratford Festival of Canada takes place in
Stratford, Ontario, Canada.   The ride from Cleveland
is about six hours through Buffalo.    Go on-line to
the festival to get directions.  The web address is
www.stratfordfestival.ca.

Productions, which started May 4 run through October
31.   Spring and summer offerings include:   ‘A
MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM,’ ‘GUYS AND DOLLS,’ ‘MACBETH’,
‘KING HENRY VII (ALL IS TRUE),’ ‘THE COUNT OF MONTE
CRISTO,’ ‘ANYTHING GOES,’ ‘NOISES OFF,’ ‘TIMON OF
ATHENS,’ ‘CYMBELINE,’ KING JOHN,’ THE TRIUMPH OF
LOVE,’ ‘THE SWANNE:  QUEEN VICTORIA,’ ‘THE ELEPHANT
SONG/THE HUMAN VOICE.’

Besides the performances there are post-performance
discussions, costume and prop warehouse tours,
backstage tours and garden tours.

What’s the lodging like?  I’d opt for one of the many
bed and breakfasts.  Sorry, I can’t recommend a
specific choice.   We are trying one this summer
instead of staying in a hotel.  I’ll report on it when
I do my reviews later this season.

Last season I made some recommendations for shopping
and eating.  I’ve been requested to repeat those
ideas.  For shopping, I strongly recommend Davis
Canadian Arts (106 Ontario Street).  This is a
wonderful art gallery that offers Canadian traditional
and contemporary sculptures, ceramics and paintings.
For women’s quality clothing make sure to stop at The
Touchmark Shop (137 Ontario Street).  The
establishment offers unique and one-of-a-kind products
at excellent prices.

Hungry?  For moderate cost, high quality, try The
Annex Room (38 Albert Street).    For a slightly
higher priced meal Bentley’s, a sister to The Annex,
is good.  I had a very negative dining experience at
Carters on Downie.  My expensive halibut main course
consisted of a fish stick-sized piece of fish and four
asparagus spears.  It’s lunch portions at upscale
dinner prices.  And, unlike most Canadian restaurants,
the service was poor.  For a relaxed and fairly
inexpensive breakfast treat try Demetre’s Family
Eatery (1100 Ontario Street).

I’ll be visiting the theatres in June and will be
giving my suggestions for what shows to see.

Call Stratford Escapes, a division of Niagara Falls
Tours for reservations.  For information call
877-356-6385 or go on line to
www.niagarafallstours.com.  For individual tickets or
a festival brochure call 800-567-1600 or go on-line to
www.stratfordfestival.ca.

THE SHAW FESTIVAL

The Shaw Festival is perfromed in three lovely
theatres in Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada, an
easy four-hour trip from Cleveland.  You travel
through the wine countries of Ohio, New York and
Canada enroute.  It’s worth the ride, even if you
don’t go to the theatre, to visit the lovely little
city.  And, if you are a gambler or want some
interesting side-trips, Niagara Falls is less than
half-an-hour away as is the Welland Canal.  Toronto is
a short drive away.

Productions run from April 2 through December 4.
This season’s productions include ‘PYGMALION,’ ‘THE
IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST,’ ‘THREE MEN ON A HORSE,’
‘PAL JOEY,’ ‘AH, WILDERNESS!,’ ‘RUTHERFORD AND SON,’
‘WAITING FOR THE PARADE,’ ‘THE TINKER’S WEDDING,’ ‘MAN
AND SUPERMAN,’ ‘NOTHING SACRED,’ ‘HARLEQUINADE,’ and
‘FLOYD COLLINS.’

Again, I’ve been asked to repeat my comments on the
Niagara area restaurants, shopping and places to stay.
 The area is dotted with wineries, many of which,
besides offering wine tastings and sales, have
restaurants .  I have, in general, been disappointed
in the winery restaurants with the exception of Inn on
the Twenty, located in historic Jordan Village
(www.innonthetwenty.com), about forty minutes from
Niagara-on-the-Lake.  It ranks as one of my favorite
restaurants in the world.  The service is always
wonderful, the facility is beautiful, the gardens
behind the facility lovely, and the food is
outstanding!    This is a “must go-to.”

Also on the must do list is eating at The Queenston
Heights Restaurant.  Located in a park just over the
Canadian line, the facility has a breathtaking view of
the Niagara River gorge.  I’ve been there a dozen
times and never had a meal that was anything less than
outstanding.  Try and get seated at one of Christine’s
tables.  She’s a total delight and a wonderful server.

Fans Court Chinese Restaurant (135 Queen Street) is a
good buy.  It  has a very pleasant outdoor patio and
the food is fine.  Try the fruit chicken dish for a
different taste treat.

Greaves Jams and Marmalades is famous for its products
since 1927.  A Niagara tradition is the Maple Leaf
Fudge store.  Also, don’t miss out on the several
stores that sell frozen yogurt which is blended before
your eyes with Niagara fresh fruits.

The area has many excellent hotels and
bed-and-breakfasts.  We have found Abbotsford House
Bed and Breakfast  to be our home-away-from-home.
Owner Margaret Currie is a total delight.  Her
breakfasts are scrumptious, she gives a new meaning to
the word “clean,” and the antiques and decorations are
impeccable.  Return guests are the rule here.  For
reservations and/or information call 905-468-4646 or e
mail AbbotsfordBandB.com.  Splurge places include The
Prince of Wales Hotel, Queen’s Landing Inn and The
White Oaks conference Resort and Spa.

For theatre information, lodging suggestions or
tickets call 800-511-7429 or go on-line to
www.shawfest.com.  Ask about packages that include
lodging, meals and tickets.  Also be aware that the
festival offers Sunday night specials, rush tickets
and senior matinee prices.

Friendly people, good value and wonderful theatre
awaits you hosted by our neighbors to the north.

=====
Roy Berko's web page can be found at royberko.info