[NEohioPAL]Review of "Proof" at GLTG

JanLeap at aol.com JanLeap at aol.com
Mon May 17 12:12:14 PDT 2004

--part1_78.5740a45b.2dda688e_boundary

Review of "Proof" by David Auburn
at Geauga Lyric Theatre Guild=20
Chardon on the Square
Running now through May 23.=20

Written by=20
Janet Shank
Theatre Director=20

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 The play "Proof", currently running at Geauga Lyric Theat=
re Guild, by=20
David Auburn won the Pulitzer and a Tony and a whole string of other awards.=
=A0=20
All of them deserved.=A0 Like many other plays, it is the story of family=20
relationships.=A0 Unlike many others, it is richly and delicately crafted wi=
th a=20
velvet hammer.=A0 You don't know you've been "hit" until it is almost over.=20
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 It is the story of an academic mathematical genius who's=20=
light burned=20
too brightly at a young age and now in his later years is unable to recaptur=
e=20
that brilliance. His daughter, a mathematical prot=E9g=E9e', is taking time=20=
off=20
from college to take care of her aging and 'confused' father.=20
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Mathematical theorems?=A0 Problems pages long?=A0 Equa=
tions so=20
complicated few in the world, let alone this audience member understands?=
=A0 This is not=20
exactly the "stuff" of dramatic theatre, and yet it is. It is enthralling. I=
t=20
is entertaining.=A0 And yes, it is dramatic! Especially in the capable hands=
 of=20
director Fred Sternfeld and his very fine cast.

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Diane Mull plays daughter Catherine with a quirky nervous=
ness and an=20
aloofness that is believable. Liz Conway plays her over protective sister wi=
th=20
her own set of quirks.=A0 At times it is hard to believe they are sisters an=
d=20
equally hard to believe that Catherine needs protection.=A0 I don't know if=20=
this=20
is intentional or perhaps a small flaw in the production.=A0 Note: I said sm=
all=20
flaw, for there are very few if any.=20

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Doug Rossi, who plays Hal, a graduate student who's advis=
or and mentor=20
is Robert the mathematical genius, is also believable as the 'geeky' but=20
'hip' young academician.=A0=20

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Mark Cipra, Robert the math genius, has way too little ti=
me on stage.=A0=20
It is with his appearance that this production really takes off.=A0 That is=20=
not=20
to say that the others did not do a fine job.=A0 They did indeed.=A0 But whe=
n=20
they are playing opposite Mr. Cipra, their characters become even more belie=
vable=20
and take on a new dimension and wholeness. Cipra's performance is finely=20
crafted and completely heartfelt.=A0 The relationship of father and daughter=
 that=20
Cipra and Mull create under Sternfeld's direction is as fine and intricate a=
s a=20
spider's web.... And every bit as strong as that miraculous fiber.=20

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Richard Gould's set is wonderful as is the lighting desig=
n by Cassie=20
Goldbach all complimented by sound designed by Stuart Kelly.=A0 These elemen=
ts,=20
in smaller theatres are often given less attention, but when they are well=20
done, as in this production, it only serves to enhance the theatre experienc=
e.=20

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Something that I questioned were the costumes.=A0 One cha=
racter was=20
dressed as if winter were approaching and another as though summer was still=
 in=20
full swing.=A0 Some of this is addressed in the script, but it seemed odd to=
 me.=A0=20
Pacing in the first act, in my opinion could have been picked up in certain=20
areas and then reined in in others, but here I am nit picking.=A0 This is a=20
wonderful production and one that should not be missed.=A0 Do yourself a fav=
or and see=20
this show.=20

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 It runs this weekend in GLTG's wonderfully restored th=
eatre on the=20
Chardon Square at Rtes 6 & 44.=A0 Chardon is only 20 or 25 minutes from down=
town=20
Cleveland.=A0 What a great way to spend a spring evening.=A0=A0 Box office (=
440)=20
286-2255

--part1_78.5740a45b.2dda688e_boundary

=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
Review of "Proof" by David Auburn<BR>
at Geauga Lyric Theatre Guild <BR>
Chardon on the Square<BR>
Running now through May 23. <BR>
<BR>
Written by <BR>
Janet Shank<BR>
Theatre Director <BR>
<BR>
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 The play "Proof", currently running at Geauga Lyric Theat=
re Guild, by David Auburn won the Pulitzer and a Tony and a whole string of=20=
other awards.=A0 All of them deserved.=A0 Like many other plays, it is the s=
tory of family relationships.=A0 Unlike many others, it is richly and delica=
tely crafted with a velvet hammer.=A0 You don't know you've been "hit" until=
 it is almost over. <BR>
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 It is the story of an academic mathematical genius who's=20=
light burned too brightly at a young age and now in his later years is unabl=
e to recapture that brilliance. His daughter, a mathematical prot=E9g=E9e',=20=
is taking time off from college to take care of her aging and 'confused' fat=
her. <BR>
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Mathematical theorems?=A0 Problems pages long?=A0 Equa=
tions so complicated few in the world, let alone this audience member unders=
tands?=A0 This is not exactly the "stuff" of dramatic theatre, and yet it is=
. It is enthralling. It is entertaining.=A0 And yes, it is dramatic! Especia=
lly in the capable hands of director Fred Sternfeld and his very fine cast.<=

<BR>
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Diane Mull plays daughter Catherine with a quirky nervous=
ness and an aloofness that is believable. Liz Conway plays her over protecti=
ve sister with her own set of quirks.=A0 At times it is hard to believe they=
 are sisters and equally hard to believe that Catherine needs protection.=
=A0 I don't know if this is intentional or perhaps a small flaw in the produ=
ction.=A0 <U>Note: I said small flaw, for there are very few if any.</U> <BR=

<BR>
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Doug Rossi, who plays Hal, a graduate student who's advis=
or and mentor is Robert the mathematical genius, is also believable as the '=
geeky' but 'hip' young academician.=A0 <BR>
<BR>
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Mark Cipra, Robert the math genius, has way too little ti=
me on stage.=A0 It is with his appearance that this production really takes=20=
off.=A0 That is not to say that the others did not do a fine job.=A0 They di=
d indeed.=A0 But when they are playing opposite Mr. Cipra, their characters=20=
become even more believable and take on a new dimension and wholeness. Cipra=
's performance is finely crafted and completely heartfelt.=A0 The relationsh=
ip of father and daughter that Cipra and Mull create under Sternfeld's direc=
tion is as fine and intricate as a spider's web.... And every bit as strong=20=
as that miraculous fiber. <BR>
<BR>
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Richard Gould's set is wonderful as is the lighting desig=
n by Cassie Goldbach all complimented by sound designed by Stuart Kelly.=A0=20=
These elements, in smaller theatres are often given less attention, but when=
 they are well done, as in this production, it only serves to enhance the th=
eatre experience. <BR>
<BR>
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Something that I questioned were the costumes.=A0 One cha=
racter was dressed as if winter were approaching and another as though summe=
r was still in full swing.=A0 Some of this is addressed in the script, but i=
t seemed odd to me.=A0 Pacing in the first act, in my opinion could have bee=
n picked up in certain areas and then reined in in others, but here I am nit=
 picking.=A0 This is a wonderful production and one that should not be misse=
d.=A0 <B>Do yourself a favor and see this show. </B><BR>
<BR>
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 It runs this weekend in GLTG's wonderfully restored th=
eatre on the Chardon Square at Rtes 6 & 44.=A0 Chardon is only 20 or 25=20=
minutes from downtown Cleveland.=A0 What a great way to spend a spring eveni=
ng.=A0=A0 Box office (440) 286-2255<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_78.5740a45b.2dda688e_boundary--